corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ///MX5
Baskey

User status: Offline
27th May 14 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think yours is the same colour as mine, brg or neon green. If it is it's a solid paint and dosnt have a clear coat
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th May 14 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Minty_Fresh
What do you mean by wet coat on top of the powder coat?

This is powder coating I'm talking about, but you can have a powder silver or powder primer, wet silver paint and powder laquer.

The place I took it to don't do powder coating on site. They're sending the wheels to their regular chap who will do the powder coating then send them back. They have then said if I want a glossier finish they will apply a silver wet paint coat and then lacquer on top for £50 for all 4.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th May 14 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
I think yours is the same colour as mine, brg or neon green. If it is it's a solid paint and dosnt have a clear coat

Yeah neo green is it's name. Cheers for the info, probably something I should have established straight away lol.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th May 14 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New rear number plate arrived today. Old one was too big for the recess:

Pulled it off to find whoever put it on used a glue gun, a f*cking glue gun!

Bit of a mess behind it:

And someone's snapped off the little clips used for locating the bottom of the number plate. When it's a bit warmer I'll paint over the bare plastic:

Spent ages getting the old sticky pads and glue gun residue off:

All cleaned up and new sticky pads in place:

And new smaller plate fitted

MX5 Project Thread
Minty_Fresh

29th May 14 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
quote:
Originally posted by Minty_Fresh
What do you mean by wet coat on top of the powder coat?

This is powder coating I'm talking about, but you can have a powder silver or powder primer, wet silver paint and powder laquer.

The place I took it to don't do powder coating on site. They're sending the wheels to their regular chap who will do the powder coating then send them back. They have then said if I want a glossier finish they will apply a silver wet paint coat and then lacquer on top for £50 for all 4.

There pulling your leg by the sounds of it, why on earth would you want to paint over fresh powder coat, no advantage what so ever, the glossier finish is bull as your just using the perfectly good powdercoat as a primer if painted over.

You go for powder coat or you go for paint.

Makes me laugh that they have said if you want your wheels glossy he can do it for £50 extra when your already paying what you are.

[Edited on 29-05-2014 by Minty_Fresh]
flybikeslee

29th May 14 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

glue gun
nibnob21
Premium Member

29th May 14 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think I've got across what I meant very well Minty. They're not having me on. They have good reviews and a good reputation and have been nothing but friendly, honest and flexible with me. They're only a small independent place so have to rely on word of mouth etc so it doesn't pay for them to be bullshitters.

They don't do powder coating on site, just all the prep work, repairs and wet paint. So because they couldn't show me and guarantee to me what the shade of silver would come back like, they were providing me with the option (if I want it) for them to give them a light dusting with a lighter silver wet coat. I'm sure they'll be fine from the powder coaters anyway.

I had quotes from a few places in Derby and they were the equal lowest. They're also allowing me to order my own tyres (cheaper to buy online than through them) and get them delivered to their unit for them to fit to the wheels when they're ready. If I wasn't happy to pay £220 for them to repair and paint the wheels, dispose of the old tyres and fit and balance the new ones I wouldn't have agreed to pay it.

flybikeslee, I know Fucking moronic. More annoyed that they've snapped the locating clips off though.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

31st May 14 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fitted a new front number plate. Sits lower than before and no longer wonky!

Also fitted a black grille. Always thought they look like something's missing without a grille there.

Gave it a wash:

And revived the centre caps for my new wheels with some boiled linseed oil. I've enquired about getting some Panasport centre badges made up for them.

Going for a four wheel alignment tomorrow.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Jun 14 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a four wheel alignment done yesterday. It was an organised meet so the garage opened especially for us and only charged £35 instead of their usual £60.

Didn't really get to test it much on the way back but it feels better and the steering wheel is straight lol. Also established that the car is 20mm lower than standard.

New wheels and tyres should be going on this week

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Jun 14 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New wheels and tyres fitted

Gave them a clean up after work today Before with tyre soap and grey tyres:

And all clean I'm really happy with the fitment and how they look. In all honesty I expected a higher quality finish from the powder coating but meh, they'll do nicely.

I ordered some custom centre badges for the centre caps. The old ones are faded and cracking and look dreadful:

Only problem being I somehow measured them completely wrong and they're about 11mm too small in diameter Getting some more made up next week.

[Edited on 06-06-2014 by nibnob21]

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

10th Jun 14 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12 months tax paid for. Hurts compared to the Corsa

MX5 Project Thread
cayenne15
Premium Member

10th Jun 14 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that Aline in Dudley? If so they are fantastic! I would highly recommend them to anyone!
nibnob21
Premium Member

10th Jun 14 at 19:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cayenne15
Is that Aline in Dudley? If so they are fantastic! I would highly recommend them to anyone!

Certainly is! Good spot.

MX5 Project Thread
cayenne15
Premium Member

10th Jun 14 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great guys mark and kev. Been using them for years. It's looking very nice on the wheels now!
nibnob21
Premium Member

16th Jun 14 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changed the driver's side hood tension cable yesterday. Ordered two but the passenger side one turned out to be fine so I saw no need to change it for the sake of it.

The reason the driver's side one needed changing:

The hood still isn't as tight as I'd expect it to be and it doesn't sit as tightly around the frame as the passenger's side:

The zip has come away from the roof, been like this since I bought the car but it doesn't leak so haven't got round to sorting it until today.

Thread and needles at the ready:

And then got my partner to work

All done Tidy job but not as strong as I'd like it to be. May be able to get her to double it up at some point.

While she was doing that I decided to clean out the petrol cap. Was fed up of always getting grubby hands whenever I filled up:

MX5 Project Thread
djgritt
Premium Member

16th Jun 14 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one.
Haimsey
Premium Member

16th Jun 14 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking smart.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Sean

16th Jun 14 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love the fact you sort all of the niggly little problems I tend to think I cba with that ill do it another time and never do! Little things make all the difference its a very tidy car!
nibnob21
Premium Member

16th Jun 14 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys

Sean, the devil's in the detail. The small things all add up.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

24th Jun 14 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the correct size centre badges in the post last week:

Couple of befores and afters:

And I spent a week in Scotland, covered about 800-900 miles with no issues. Didn't really get any pictures but all I can say is if you have the chance to drive the A93 between Blairgowrie and Aboyne then do it. It's amazing, especially the generous section in Cairngorms National Park.

MX5 Project Thread
BeetleGav

24th Jun 14 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Square front plate, smaller profile tyres and a little bit lower and that would be perfect to me.
Robbo

2nd Jul 14 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
I love the fact you sort all of the niggly little problems I tend to think I cba with that ill do it another time and never do! Little things make all the difference its a very tidy car!
yep, totally agree! Looking great mate
nibnob21
Premium Member

5th Jul 14 at 23:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
Square front plate, smaller profile tyres and a little bit lower and that would be perfect to me.

Won't be getting a square plate. Too expensive to sort out the holes left behind from the current plate, plus I don't actually think they look that much better.

Won't be going lower, car scrapes on some speed bumps as it is. I agree it would look better a smidgen lower but not enough for me to spend any money on doing it, I'm perfectly happy with it being 20mm down.

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Originally posted by Sean
yep, totally agree! Looking great mate

Cheers

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Jul 14 at 00:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got round to trying to get rid of the stains on the tops of both front wings last week. Got some rubbing compound and got to work. It's definitely improved it but not got rid of them completely. I polished and applied around 3 coats of wax afterwards so hopefully that'll go some way to preventing it from coming back. Some before and afters:

Now I thought I'd take a risk and try some new wing mirrors as one old one was seized and the other too loose. I'm not a fan of chrome and think any use of it should be taken with extreme caution, but I thought I'd test it anyway...

Crappy pictures but they actually look pretty good and will be staying.

Unlike chrome, I do like brushed metal parts and I thought an instrument cluster surround would fit in with the vintage oem direction I seem to be taking the car in.

Unfortunately I got sent the wrong type from JassPerformance (I wanted the engraved Roadster type) but this is being rectified with no hassle. Thought I'd see what the plain ones look like for the sake of it though.

Everything removed:

Cover and needles removed:

Cover soaking in boiling water to soften the plastic welds:

Plenty of patience and gentle persuasion with a stanley knife later and it's separated:

Nice brushed finish:

And back in the car:

Looks good I think, really looking forward to getting the engraved ones fitted now

Finally for today I took a scouring pad to my dirty and scuffed up teardrop speaker covers and the sill plates:

Before:

Left one not done, right one done:

Both done:

Before:

Neither done:

Both done:

Nice brushed finish :

Just to finish I went over them with some white spirit then wiped with a microfibre so they're nice and clean.

MX5 Project Thread
ArdenblueDan

6th Jul 14 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great buddy really nice touches I think with mirrors and the brushed pieces there's just the right amount of chrome there

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5 24 database queries in 0.2045429 seconds