corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ///MX5
flybikeslee

User status: Offline
4th Apr 14 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good so far, like the amount of photos too
nibnob21
Premium Member

4th Apr 14 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
cracking project and a cracking little motor mate, look forward to seeing it progress

love the attention to detail in your photo selection btw

quote:
Originally posted by flybikeslee
good so far, like the amount of photos too

Cheers guys.

Let's be honest, no one's interested in the waffle; it's pictures that we want to see. Threads with very few photos are boring.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took the CD player out the other day to inspect the block connections. Bloody heavy, 3.5 kgs :

Left it like this for a few days while I waited for the patch cable to turn up:

Came today:

Got my old Corsa CD player fitted:

Just bodged in for the time being before I get a proper cubby hole ordered. I had the small surround flocked to match other bits in the Corsa, it couldn't look more sh it and out of place in this But it's about £8 or something ridiculous like that for a new one. Speakers are absolute balls, will get some new ones ordered soonish. Speakers in the headrest are cool though

MX5 Project Thread
Ian W

8th Apr 14 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very cool car and a great read

All the little bits and bobs and the fluid changes are the things that make the big differences
nibnob21
Premium Member

8th Apr 14 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Ian, much appreciated. The gearbox is far better because of it.

Took it for its first proper spin since getting it at the weekend. The whole car didn't skip a beat and although not particularly fast it's a lot of fun to drive.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

11th Apr 14 at 23:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing fancy but got some cheap new speakers. Current ones are completely knackered.

2 for the doors:
PIONEER TS-G1721i 17cm 6.5" Dual Cone Coaxial Car Speakers G Series, 230W | eBay

4 for the headrests:
PIONEER TS-G1021i 4" 10cm 2-Way Dual Cone Coaxial Car Speakers, 180 Watt | eBay

And some flashing tape that supposedly does the same job as sound deadening sheets, but for a fraction of the price:
FLASHING TAPE FLASH BAND ROOFING REPAIR SELF ADHESIVE TAPE ROLL LEAD BITUMEN 10m | eBay

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clear side repeaters, clear front reflectors and a Mk2 wind blocker all paid for.

The wind blocker means you can actually use the rear shelf behind the rear seats, it also has a couple of handy net pockets...and obviously it helps to block the wind when the roof's down.

Hopefully all of them and the speakers turn up before the end of the week so I can get them fitted in time for a holiday to North Wales on Friday!

Also spent quite a while yesterday stripping off some horrible old number plate pads hiding behind the front number plate. All in prep for one day relocating the number plate to the bottom corner. WD40 worked a treat at getting the stubborn stuff off. Then some clay, polish and wax to remove the really hard worn on bits. Pretty badly chipped though as you can see in the second last photo, need to get a touch up kit.

MX5 Project Thread
BeetleGav

14th Apr 14 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it low and you won't notice them stone chips as much
nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That makes absolutely no logical sense.

MX5 Project Thread
tom130691
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 17:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
Get it low and you won't notice them stone chips as much

guy i went to uni with

nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That just looks shit in my opinion. Never understood why people make their cars so low that they're completely impractical, cause no end of problems and look broken. Just look at how Jamie gets through cars lol.

MX5 Project Thread
Jambo

15th Apr 14 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How fucking big is that Stereo

Good updates, not a fan of the de tango myself but that's a personal thing. Love this car!
nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
How fucking big is that Stereo

Good updates, not a fan of the de tango myself but that's a personal thing. Love this car!

Yeah it's whopping. Was pretty surprised when I got it out, weighs a tonne as well.

You won't like that I've got clear side repeaters and clear front reflectors coming then lol. Detango cleans it up in my opinion.

MX5 Project Thread
pow
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody loved the headrest speakers in mine

Cos mine was a UK one I fitted them, felt

[Edited on 15-04-2014 by pow]
nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah looking forward to getting the speakers done. Been driving it with no music for a month now

MX5 Project Thread
BeetleGav

15th Apr 14 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not stupid low but low enough to look right. Standard they look far too high for a sports car.
Logic behind the chips not mattering when low is because the front end will be further out of your eyesight. I know what I mean
nibnob21
Premium Member

16th Apr 14 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flashing tape and speakers turned up today. Day off work tomorrow so will get them fitted.

MX5 Project Thread
Baskey

16th Apr 14 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the effort you are putting into this mate, mine is rough as fuck compared to yours but mechanically mint.

I need to do the diff oil and gearbox oil before my next track day on 12th may. How much do they take, ie how much do I need to buy??
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 06:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gearbox holds 2.1l so two 1l bottles is fine, you're never going to get every last bit of the old stuff out. It takes 75w/90 gl4 (not gl5!). Castrol multitrans stuff is meant to be the one to go for.

Diff oil is 80w/90 gl5. It takes 650ml so a 1l bottle is enough with a bit left over to change the gear turret oil (90ml).

It's well worth doing the turret oil, makes a big difference.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 16:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got some stuff done today. Changed all of the speakers. Went for components so I just disconnected the crappy tweeters the car has. Door card off:

Old speaker, absolutely shagged:

Lined the inside of the doors with flashing tape and put some around where the door speakers mount. May just be placebo but the door does feel a bit less tinny when closing it. Generally seems a bit more solid:

New door speakers put in:

Managed to remove the spade connectors from the plastic casing without having to cut it off or snip the wires. Saves me a soldering job:

Moved on to the headrest speakers:

Just wedged the new speakers into these slots. Hard plastic cover won't go back over the top of them unfortunately because they squash the speaker faces a bit. Going to get some dense foam to shape over them or cut some holes out of the plastic. Either way, I can't leave them as they are at the moment with your head resting directly on the speakers when sitting in the seat.

Clear front reflectors and side repeaters turned up. Before:

After:

MX5 Project Thread
djgritt
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those clear lenses make a hell of a difference! Looks good.
nibnob21
Premium Member

23rd Apr 14 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dave

I've managed to sort out the headrest speakers. I set out to modify the hard plastic covers to protect the speakers and hold them in place without squashing them.

I removed the four bolts that held in the previous speakers:

Then took the dremel to the round bits to leave four little stands:

The speakers didn't seem to be fouling on the stands, so all good! Put some flashing tape over some bits just to cover any little sharp plastic edges:

Then slotted the speakers into the headrests and screwed the plastic covers on:

I could tell after just a day or so that something wasn't right though. So I took the covers back off and it was obvious the speakers were fouling on something:

So back to the drawing board. I found I still had some old arch bolts and plastic nuts from the Corsa and thought they could come in handy:

So out with the dremel again and I completely smoothed off the stands:

Plan was to screw a plastic nut fully on the bolt (to act as a spacer), glue the bolts onto the plastic case then use another plastic nut to hold the speakers in place:

Trimmed the edges of a few of the nuts:

Then bolted the speakers down:

All back in the car now and it seems to have done the job. They're held far more securely with no rattles. Touch wood that remains the case.

MX5 Project Thread
gidged500
Premium Member

23rd Apr 14 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good project thread this, car spends a lot of time on the ramps I'm joking I'm like you I change everything so I know it's spot on !

Keep up the good work ... Coilovers soon ??
nibnob21
Premium Member

23rd Apr 14 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gidged500
Good project thread this, car spends a lot of time on the ramps I'm joking I'm like you I change everything so I know it's spot on !

Keep up the good work ... Coilovers soon ??

Cheers Was only up on the ramps for a couple of days while I blitzed out the service. Always a good idea to start with a clean slate with a new car.

No won't be going lower, it's already lowered but I can't afford new suspension and don't want to ruin the ride and practicality.

You can see here how high a standard one is compared to mine:

MX5 Project Thread
Minty_Fresh

23rd Apr 14 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eunos models are lower then uk models (which that possibly is in the top picture)

How high my uk Dakar model was.

How it ended up.

And that grey one is his daily driver, it's on a havair system so is more then practical, just wanted to state it.

Keep up the good work..

[Edited on 23-04-2014 by Minty_Fresh]

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5 24 database queries in 0.2180309 seconds