corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ///MX5
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Mar 14 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Darryl

I've had a very productive few days. Girlfriend was working all weekend so I took the opportunity to get a load done on the car.

Got the following done:
Gearbox oil
Diff oil
Gear shifter turret oil
Spark plugs
Alarm fob battery
Fix central locking
SMD sidelights
Engine oil
Clean interior

SUNDAY...back up on the ramps:

Annoyingly the diff filler plug is 23mm and the drain plug is 24mm. Didn't have a 23mm socket so that meant a special trip to machine mart for a new one.

Soaked in plus gas:

Filler plug out:

Drain plug out:

Back down the ramps to get it to drain better:

Old oil. Doubt it's ever been changed:

New oil:

Bolts done up then put level on the ramps to check the oil level:

Torqued up to 50Nm:

Old sidelights. Utter crap:

SMDs I had lying about from the Corsa:

New spark plugs:

Little syringe from the local pharmacy used to get old gear turret oil out and new stuff in:

Boot hoovered:

Passenger door stripped down to fix central locking:

Think I found the problem:

Bad section removed and it works again. Coupled with new alarm fob battery and I now have working remote central locking, immobiliser and alarm

MONDAY...back up on the ramps:

Engine oil was only changed a week and a half ago (a couple of days before I bought the car) but the guy used 5w-30. Too thin for my liking and not suited for the warmer weather coming (touch wood). So while the oil filter is still new and doesn't need replacing I swapped the oil to 10w-40. No pics but I did remember to drain the oil from the filter:

Then on to the fuel filter. Cover removed:

Already I can spot a problem. The 'out' metal pipe on the new aftermarket fuel filter doesn't match the one:

Rubber fuel hose won't reach it:

I've requested a partial refund to cover the cost of a new bit of rubber fuel hose, or have offered to return the filter for a full refund at the seller's cost of return postage.

That's been the only hiccup over the last three days though so not bad going!

I've got new gear shifter rubber boots in the post. Other than the fuel filter the only thing left to do for the time being is the HT leads.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Mar 14 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a call from Mazda today saying my new key had arrived. Genuine Eunos one Will get it cut later in the week:

MX5 Project Thread
ArdenblueDan

25th Mar 14 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing well with this mate looks like a cracking little car
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Mar 14 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate.

Got the gear boots changed this evening. Changed the turret oil again. It was only 10 milse and 2 days old but was already filthy from the small amount left behind from last time lol. Only a couple of pics because it was dark and I was using my phone as a torch.

MX5 Project Thread
Chris C

26th Mar 14 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool little car this
nibnob21
Premium Member

26th Mar 14 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris C
Cool little car this

Cheers

Drove to work today and the gearbox is much better. Hard to say how much the boots, turret oil and gearbox oil influenced it individually. But changing them all together has improved it a lot.

Going to detango the front sidelights, chrome bulbs have been ordered. HT leads also ordered.

MX5 Project Thread
jbguitarking

27th Mar 14 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice little project this!

About that fuel filter, could you not have swapped the hoses round?

The one on the right looks considerably longer than the one on the left and the left one looks like it would reach fine if fitted on the right side pipes.
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th Mar 14 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps, but it was getting dark by that point so didn't have the time lol. The seller on eBay is taking an age to respond each time I send a message so I'll probably just do what you suggested. Away this weekend though so it'll have to wait until next week.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th Mar 14 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Front badge came in the post today. Used a bit of number plate sticky pad to attach it to the car. No pics on the car as it was dark.

MX5 Project Thread
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

28th Mar 14 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nice
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Mar 14 at 17:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Willay.

Pics of the new front badge:

Went to debadge the rear of the car last weekend but all of the badges have two locating pins like the front badge above, so unfortunately I've had to leave them on. As the holes will only be small I may eventually fill them in and touch over them with some paint. Going to have to do that to the front bumper too if I'm going to relocate the number plate.

New HT leads came in the post today so I got them changed over:

Was amazed at how instantly the car fired afterwards. Also got my blank key cut today.

eBay seller who sold me the ill fitting fuel filter gave me a partial refund at my request to cover the cost of some new fuel hose. So ordered a section of this:

R9 Fuel INJECTION Rubber Hose Pipe SAEJ30R9 High Pressure Line(5mm 6mm 8mm 10mm) | eBay

Got 500mm so should have enough to replace both sections of hose going in and out of the filter.

MX5 Project Thread
Steve
Premium Member

28th Mar 14 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty of slack hose on the other section to chop the required amount off and still leave enough.
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Mar 14 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Plenty of slack hose on the other section to chop the required amount off and still leave enough.

As said in a previous post it was getting dark so I didn't have the time. Don't like the way so much hose is used for that other section so with the new hose I'll be able to get two new sections cut to the right length.

MX5 Project Thread
Steve
Premium Member

28th Mar 14 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im just impatient, if I have a part that needs fitting, unless I really cant do it, I cant wait lol and find a way
Ben G

28th Mar 14 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What effect does the gearbox oil have with new/old stuff?

Does it just give a slicker action with new oil? I've crunched mine when changing gears a few times now and theres no obvious problem with the box, so wondered whether it's worth changing the oil as I highly doubt it's been changed in the 11 years since the car was built.
tom130691
Premium Member

28th Mar 14 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a good idea to change it people forget there is heat cycles in gearbox's aswell and the oil deteriorates
nibnob21
Premium Member

29th Mar 14 at 00:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben, it gives it a smoother gear change. Since changing the gearbox oil, shifter turret oil and gear boots the change is far less notchy. As Tom says, it's often overlooked. It should be done every 4 years or so, or about every 60k.

MX5 Project Thread
Paul W
Premium Member

29th Mar 14 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the interior on these. Dat tan leather though! Awesome colour combo too

Rio Verde Bagged More Door Project
nibnob21
Premium Member

31st Mar 14 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Photoshop of the wheels I'm thinking of getting:

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

1st Apr 14 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Detangoed the front lights last night:

Old bulbs replaced with chrome coated amber bulbs:

Then put the clusters in the oven to soften up the seal and split them:

Then unscrewed the orange insert and put the clusters back together:

Back on the car before and afters:

Still waiting on the fuel hose to turn up so I can get the fuel filter replaced.

MX5 Project Thread
Haimsey
Premium Member

1st Apr 14 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks much better. Good job.
Sunny days are a on their way!

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Apr 14 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Haimsey
Looks much better. Good job.
Sunny days are a on their way!

Cheers Haimsey. Can't wait to take it out in good weather!

Fuel hose came in the post today:

Got the car up on the ramps and unscrewed the fuel filter cover:

Unbolted the old filter:

Then didn't get any pics for a while as I was measuring up the new hose, wrestling with old stuck hoses and getting covered in petrol. Eventually got the new filter and two sections of hose on though

MX5 Project Thread
djgritt
Premium Member

2nd Apr 14 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the top Wheel photoshop.

Whole thing looks pretty good too, tidy.
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Apr 14 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
I like the top Wheel photoshop.

Whole thing looks pretty good too, tidy.

Same, I prefer the gold over the bronze. Two photoshops were done as it's unclear from the manufacturer's photos exactly what shade the wheels are.

Cheers, it is in good condition. Spent a while under it today and it has a bit of surface rust on the wishbones etc. but the chassis itself is solid, rust free and undersealed

Got all of the servicing stuff out of the way now, for the time being at least haha. Next bit of money spent on it will go on 'modded' bits. Probably starting with getting my old Corsa stereo in it and a wind blocker.

MX5 Project Thread
Robbo

3rd Apr 14 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cracking project and a cracking little motor mate, look forward to seeing it progress

love the attention to detail in your photo selection btw

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5 24 database queries in 0.1117871 seconds