corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ///MX5
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Mar 14 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, I picked up a new car on Saturday

Was after something for a bit of fun for the weekends and to take me to work on the days where cycling wouldn't be appealing.

I felt the best option for my money was an MX5. Easy to work on, cheap parts, rwd, reliable and a convertible. Didn't even need to convince the misses, she's all for it!

I decided I wanted a MK1 as they're a bit more raw than the newer models. They're a bit of a classic now, they don't suffer as badly from rot and they're starting to appreciate in value. Added bonus was the insurance was much lower than expected too!

I registered on MX5Nutz.com and it wasn't long before I was having a long chat with a local guy about a Eunos Roadster he was sprucing up to sell. The car seemed to fit the bill so I went down to his and spent a few hours looking round the car, going out for a spin and just generally chatting nonsense. So with my pocket a few pennies lighter, I came home with a 1993 1.6 Japanese import.

Good bits:
  • Completely rust free. Sills, arches and rails are solid, magnet sticks everywhere.
  • Underneath and the sills have been rustproofed.
  • Low miles. Currently a bit over 99,000 kms; so ~61,500 miles.
  • All old MOT certificates verifying the mileage.
  • New oil, oil filter, coolant and thermostat.
  • Decent hood with no leaks and a new rear window.
  • Completely unmolestered, still has the original mats and stereo.
  • Think it has some different springs on it from standard so it sits a bit lower with a slightly firmer ride.
  • Cobra alarm fitted with certificate.
  • Good amount of tax and MOT.
  • Good tyres.
  • V-Spec so air con, power steering, abs etc.

Bad bits:
  • No service history other than old MOTs.
  • Gearbox oil could do with changing.
  • A small section (~6 inches) of the interior roof lining needs restitching.
  • A few blemishes on the bodywork...but it's great for 21 years old.
  • Some plonker has put a Lotus badge on the front.

Here are some pics I got from the bloke selling it:

Nice clean arches and sills:

Interior refurb:

Couple more when I got it home:

Now, I'm not one for naming cars. I think it's weird. Thankfully these were just stuck on letters and not part of the actual number plate, so they were swiftly removed:

[Edited on 18-05-2015 by nibnob21]

MX5 Project Thread
taylorboosh

17th Mar 14 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plans?
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Plans?

Gearbox oil change.
Air filter.
Fuel filter.
Spark plugs.
14deg timing mod.
Mk2 wind blocker.
New stereo and speakers.
New wheels.
Offset square number plate for the front.
Brighter bulbs all round.
Detango front sidelights.

They're the things I can think of off the top of my head.

MX5 Project Thread
Baskey

17th Mar 14 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yours is like mine just a lot cleaner! Get a roll bar in there, they look much better with the roof down and stiffen it right up.

Has it made you feel a driving god yet?? I'm a shit driver compared to some but all you need to do is hit a mini roundabout in 1st at 3k revs, get half way round and floor it. You will drift round like a pro, it's addictive

[Edited on 17-03-2014 by Baskey]
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That steering wheel is ace

I want a go in one of these, might buy the missus one.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Minty_Fresh

17th Mar 14 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had x2 mk1 mx5s 1.6 and 1.8, loved both, awesome cars for the money..
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
Yours is like mine just a lot cleaner! Get a roll bar in there, they look much better with the roof down and stiffen it right up.

Has it made you feel a driving god yet?? I'm a shit driver compared to some but all you need to do is hit a mini roundabout in 1st at 3k revs, get half way round and floor it. You will drift round like a pro, it's addictive

[Edited on 17-03-2014 by Baskey]

Not planning on spending loads on it and proper roll bars are more than I would want to pay. And I'm not going to get show bars as they've been known to bend in crashes and cause more damage.

Not really had the chance to drive it properly. Longest drive I've done is the 15 miles back from buying it. I couldn't 'test it' properly on that journey because of traffic and the misses needing to follow me for directions home. On the test drive we had the tyres squealing around a roundabout but the back end didn't let go.

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
That steering wheel is ace

I want a go in one of these, might buy the missus one.

Yeah it does suit it. Some of it has chipped slightly at the top unfortunately.

Such a great feeling driving it. After getting used to the misses's Corsa D 1.3 turbo diesel this is just completely different. I love sitting so close to the ground.

It's not a fast car by any means, but it does put a smile on your face.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Minty_Fresh
Had x2 mk1 mx5s 1.6 and 1.8, loved both, awesome cars for the money..

Yeah I really have no complaints with it. I could have got a newer car for the money, but I'm happy I spent a bit more on getting a really clean older one.

MX5 Project Thread
BeetleGav

17th Mar 14 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love mx5s.
This is my mates, I nearly bought it myself a few years ago.
Work in progress like but it has some pricey mods apparently. Exhaust etc

His new wheels.

[Edited on 17-03-2014 by BeetleGav]
taylorboosh

17th Mar 14 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive always likes them
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gav I've already seen his on MX5Nutz. I commented on his thread saying how I recognised the BMW in some of his pics

MX5 Project Thread
BeetleGav

17th Mar 14 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ohhhh yeah. I saw that lol I'm not a member on there just a lurker
Haimsey
Premium Member

18th Mar 14 at 09:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great results on the seats

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
pow
Premium Member

18th Mar 14 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Miss mine sooo bad
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th Mar 14 at 20:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Haimsey
Great results on the seats

Yeah he did a good job for a DIY effort. The photos do it favours and in reality the interior obviously isn't as immaculate as it may seem. But it's certainly in great condition considering the age!

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Miss mine sooo bad

Get another then Got a link to a thread or pics?

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th Mar 14 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Removed the silly Lotus badge. Not got anything to replace it with but it was embarrassing enough that I prefer the mess that's underneath it lol.

Here's the destitched section on the inside lining of the roof. As said before, it doesn't leak but I'll get it fixed asap.

Pic of the interior:

Slight damage to the steering wheel:

Good amount of boot space. Did a fair sized supermarket shop on Sunday and got it all in fine.

It's had the fog light mod done to it. The imports didn't have a rear fog light fitted and you need one for the MOTs over here. To avoid having to screw on some ugly aftermarket jobby from Halfords you can wire in a fog light switch, sacrificing one of the reverse lights. So all you then add is a red bulb. One working reverse light, one working rear fog light

Engine bay:

Split cable housing taped up:

Checked the air filter condition. Seems nearly new:

Crap air intake:

HT leads are looking a little tired:

Checked the spark plugs. I think they're ok but a new set of NGKs is only about £8 so may change them for peace of mind.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

19th Mar 14 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New alarm fob and tax disc holder arrived today.

Fuel filter and spark plugs ordered.

Brake/clutch fluid and gearbox oil bought, hoping to get them changed this weekend.

MX5 Project Thread
Jambo

19th Mar 14 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love this car, lucky to find one with such low miles too!

Will be watching this
nibnob21
Premium Member

22nd Mar 14 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New alarm fob next to the old one:

I've ordered a blank Eunos key from Mazda for £12.66 as the car only came with one, but more importantly because it has cracks in it. You can make out the crack on the right hand side of the key as it necks in after the flat edge; the other side is identical. I don't fancy it snapping in the door or ignition so thought I'd get it sorted pronto.

Spare wheel washer and bolt arrived so that's secure in the boot now:

Got the gearbox oil changed. Was going to do the brakes too but it started raining, I can't be bothered and there's only one of me. May just get a garage to do it depending on cost.

Up on the ramps straight after a journey to warm it up. Bits of wood used to prevent the bumper from hitting the ramps and to help prevent the ramps just pushing away:

All the tools needed for the job:

The biggest tool of them all:

Released the filler plug first:

Then the drain plug:

Smelly, dirty oil:

Old oil all horrible and grey:

Not much room for manoeuvre even when on the ramps:

Magnetic drain plug:

Cleaned up:

Screwed back in and torqued up to 50Nm:

New stuff put in, just shy of 2l.

Lowered the car partially down the ramps until it was completely level using a spirit level on my phone (rested the phone on the sills and moved the car down the ramps until it showed 0deg). Even less room to get under the car and rubbed my face along the oil sump to undo the gearbox filler bolt again. And like magic a small trickle of new oil started to come out. Perfect

I'm going to change the turret oil in a few days once I've got new upper and lower gear boots. I had a look in there to get a better view of the state of the oil. The boots really are buggered:

The oil is looking a bit low and very dark. Far worse than what came out of the gearbox. Managed to get a little plastic syringe from my local chemists that I'll use to get the old stuff out and put new stuff in (90ml).

The gearbox is a bit notchy, which it is known for to an extent. But with new gearbox oil, turret oil and boots I'm hoping it will be improved.

Then gave the driver's seat a quick clean and condition with Gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner as I'd made it a bit grubby with my overalls:

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

22nd Mar 14 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Proper front badge bought. Pics from seller:

MX5 Project Thread
Baskey

22nd Mar 14 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've inspired me, I'm going to do my gearbox oil tomorrow on my mx5. Also don't get a garage to change your brakes. I did front and rear disks and pads last Sunday on mine, 2 hours all in taking it easy. It's so simple it's a joy to work on
nibnob21
Premium Member

22nd Mar 14 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gearbox oil really is dead easy. Awkward bit is putting the new oil in due to the location of the filler hole. Don't forget to do the turret oil while you're at it.

The brakes don't need changing, it's the brake/clutch fluid that needs doing. Not really a one man job and there's only one of me. Don't really have the gear for it and don't want to risk shearing any of the nipples. Will see what a garage will charge for it and if it's not unreasonable I'll book it in.

MX5 Project Thread
Sean

22nd Mar 14 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely looking car, really clean!! We have a few eunos roadsters at the garage i work at and they are both rotters! and as for the fluid change we charge 25 plus vat and fluid for a brake fluid change for a rough price idea id imagine its similar to that, its not a long job.
nibnob21
Premium Member

23rd Mar 14 at 00:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Sean. I've already bought the fluid, and have since wussed out of doing it I was guessing in my head it would be about £30 so I'll see what a couple of local independents quote.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

23rd Mar 14 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice find Robin! Looks clean

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5 24 database queries in 0.2045619 seconds