corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ///MX5
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 14 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I plastered the insides of the panels in the camper with that lead flashing, made no end of help with general clunkyness, rattling and sound deadening.

Probably didn't help the fuel encomony though

[Edited on 23-04-2014 by pow]
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Apr 14 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Minty_Fresh
Eunos models are lower then uk models (which that possibly is in the top picture)

Ahh didn't know that, and yes that top picture is UK model.

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I plastered the insides of the panels in the camper with that lead flashing, made no end of help with general clunkyness, rattling and sound deadening.

Probably didn't help the fuel encomony though

I don't really have anything to compare it to as the speakers were so buggered before I didn't listen to the stereo, but the doors seem more solid when you close them. I've heard flashing tape is used quite a lot in the VAG world.

MX5 Project Thread
BeetleGav

25th Apr 14 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I used flashband in my beetle
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Apr 14 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took advantage of a half day at work yesterday and decided to treat the car. Gave it a wash, clay, polish and wax. To be honest I think it was a bit warm for the polishing but never mind, it was quite hard work but it's come up brilliantly. Only had time for one layer of wax so that may need topping up when I next wash it.

Pretty darn grubby:

Once washed and clayed I started on the polishing:

Then waxed and done. Once again Photobucket has destroyed the image quality but oh well. Oh, and I'm out of tyre shine :

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd May 14 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a mk2 windblocker fitted. Really handy part. Means the back shelf can be used and it has a couple of useful mesh pockets.

Apologies for the poor photos.

MX5 Project Thread
Jambo

3rd May 14 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some Meguirs APC on those seats. Will come up like new
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd May 14 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Get some Meguirs APC on those seats. Will come up like new

???

But they're not dirty.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd May 14 at 18:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of better pics of the wind blocker:

Gave the car a wash and used some boiled linseed oil to restore some of the plastics:

Then took it for a spin. The wind blocker makes a good difference in...well, blocking the wind unsurprisingly. Much quieter and not as much chill. Stopped at a few places for some pics:

MX5 Project Thread
spencer88

4th May 14 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watching htis inspired me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331188041844?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hope the Mrs likes learning to drive in it.
nibnob21
Premium Member

4th May 14 at 20:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm glad I've inspired you lol. But I won't beat around the bush, that looks a bit of a shitter

Why not just spend a little more and get one that doesn't need the work? Once they start rusting it's either game over or an expensive cut and weld repair.

MX5 Project Thread
spencer88

5th May 14 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
I'm glad I've inspired you lol. But I won't beat around the bush, that looks a bit of a shitter

Why not just spend a little more and get one that doesn't need the work? Once they start rusting it's either game over or an expensive cut and weld repair.

Because it is to teach the Mrs to drive in, not take to shows.

She will hit shit in it.

Long MOT was ideal.
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th May 14 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got round to sorting out a cubby box for the tombstone.

How it'd been for the last few weeks:

Removed the centre console and tombstone:

Cubby box screwed into place:

Put everything back together:

And done :

New aero wiper blades:

New dash cam (G1WH). Just waiting for micro SD card to turn up in the post:

Annoying staining I'm getting on the wings and front bumper:

Washed, clayed, polished and waxed it the other day but these white spots are appearing on just the wings and front bumper. Any idea what would cause it? Seems odd that the bonnet is uneffected.

MX5 Project Thread
djgritt
Premium Member

18th May 14 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lacquer lifting?

We had similar cloudy spots on a Cavalier in the past and it was the lacquer. Eventually they got bigger then started flaking...
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th May 14 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It polishes out really easily though.

MX5 Project Thread
Firestate88

18th May 14 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say it was laquer peel, when you polish it you're just pushing it back down until the next time
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th May 14 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope not but I suppose it is a possibility. Pushing it down hard with a finger doesn't do anything so why would polishing temporarily get rid of it?

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

21st May 14 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well after hours of research and googling, I've narrowed my choice of wheel right down.

Basically all of my top choices either won't fit properly without arch work, will be too wide and therefore wreck the handling, or they aren't in stock for a few months.

So, thoughts on these (black)?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xxr+002+miata&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gBR9U-CbKenT7Abo34DQDA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=925#q=xxr+501+mx5&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

I know they're multifit But being black and with silver wheel nuts, hopefully that should minimise the look of the empty holes. Could always plug them with something.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th May 14 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won some Panasport Pro Rally wheels

They certainly need a clean, and probably a refurb.

Can look pretty tasty once done up:

MX5 Project Thread
djgritt
Premium Member

26th May 14 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The style of wheel suits this car for sure!

Get them refurbed IMO - Bronze with a Silver lip similar to that pic may work with the Green?
nibnob21
Premium Member

26th May 14 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'm slightly torn on how to get them refurbished.

The bronze/gold centre with silver lip does look good, but I've seen just plain glossy silver ones that also really suit it.

Tough one.

MX5 Project Thread
djgritt
Premium Member

26th May 14 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Silver for an OEM appearance

Bronze/Silver for a more personal, yet unoffensive (compared to lairy Red/Blues etc) appearance.

IMO. So yeah, bit tough.
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th May 14 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gave the wheels a good scrub this morning. Couple of before and afters:

Then dropped them off to be powder coated. Turnaround should be about a week. Getting them powder coated with new tyres fitted and balanced for £220 (obviously price of tyres isn't included in that). Depending on the finish of the powder coating I can opt to pay an extra £50 to have a silver wet coat and lacquer applied on all four wheels to make them extra glossy

The two colour option would have been my preference but it would have been a pain in the arse to paint, cost more and produced a place for flaking and corrosion to start where the two colours met. So I've chosen to go with plain silver.

MX5 Project Thread
Minty_Fresh

27th May 14 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice wheel choice, the cost of the refurb is quite expensive imo, the silver wet paint and lacquer is standard that my mate rob does and charges £180 (inc tyres refitting and balancing)

Also have you thought about a oem lip to finish the front off?
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th May 14 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Minty_Fresh
Nice wheel choice, the cost of the refurb is quite expensive imo, the silver wet paint and lacquer is standard that my mate rob does and charges £180 (inc tyres refitting and balancing)

Also have you thought about a oem lip to finish the front off?

Due to the current state of the wheels wet painting wasn't an option. The corrosion means they need fully taking back and powder coating. That was the opinion of more than one body shop.

So it's £200 for the powder coating (sand blasting, acid dipping etc.). £20 for disposing of the old tyres and fitting new tyres inc. balancing (less than garages charge if I were to get new tyres fitted elsewhere). It's completely up to me whether I want to pay extra for them to give them a wet coat on top of the powder coating, it may be that I'm completely happy with the powder coating finish and leave it at that.

Yeah I do want a splitter. Don't think the GV lip would suit it and standard oem ones are really expensive (£80+). May get one eventually.

Also on another note, I had one of the body shops check out the blotchy patches on the wings and he was pretty sure it was some kind of a reaction rather than lacquer damage.

MX5 Project Thread
Minty_Fresh

27th May 14 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean by wet coat on top of the powder coat?

This is powder coating I'm talking about, but you can have a powder silver or powder primer, wet silver paint and powder laquer.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5 24 database queries in 0.2019351 seconds