corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ///MX5
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Mar 15 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made a start on making a DIY brake stopper. Essentially you fix a bolt in place on the strut brace that presses against the brake master cylinder. It stops the brake servo & firewall flexing hence giving stronger braking. The feel is meant to be more solid and precise rather than a soft and delayed reaction time.

Removed just the bracket section I need from the strut brace and gave it a quick clean up:

There's not much meat on it to drill into; the prongs on other strut braces are a lot wider. I measured everything up and if I use an M8 bolt there should still be a few mm left between the drilled hole and the edge of the prong, so the brace should still retain its strength.

But part way through going through different drill bit sizes my battery ran out. I'll have to finish it off tomorrow.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Mar 15 at 18:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished off fitting the brake stopper after work today. Started by finishing off drilling the hole in the brace out to 8mm:

Popped to the local hardware store to grab a bolt, a couple of washers and some nuts. Fixed the brace back into position and trial fitted the bolt:

Yep, looks like it's going to work! Removed it all again, copper slipped the bolt right up and reassembled:

Gave it some adjustment then nipped up the nuts:

Not driven it yet so can't comment on its effectiveness, but it was dead easy to do and cost less than a quid for the bolt, washers and nuts.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

2nd Mar 15 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice update, always wondered how much these actually do

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Mar 15 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reviews seem to be a bit mixed. A lot of people swear by them but I've seen others who aren't quite as convinced. Hence why I thought I'd try the pikey version as opposed to shedding out £40. Nothing lost if it doesn't really work.

MX5 Project Thread
--ToM--

3rd Mar 15 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it works spot on , if not its not the prettiest thing to look at is it lol
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Mar 15 at 17:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--

If it works, spot on. If not, who's going to be looking inside a grubby standard engine bay anyway?

MX5 Project Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Mar 15 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was very sceptical about my brake stopper, bought it drunk

It actually does firm the braking up a bit - whether it'll translate to any real gain I dunno - but the brakes feel like they got a bit of that "freshly bled" feel to them.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Mar 15 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah to be honest most people seem to rate them. I think the people who have been a bit underwhelmed were probably expecting too much from it.

MX5 Project Thread
--ToM--

3rd Mar 15 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
quote:

If it works, spot on. If not, who's going to be looking inside a grubby standard engine bay anyway?

Anyone reading this thread for a start
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Mar 15 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MX5 Project Thread
--ToM--

3rd Mar 15 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lmfao!!!
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Mar 15 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice cheap addition.
nibnob21
Premium Member

4th Mar 15 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gave it an adjustment last night and you could definitely notice the difference driving it today. Brake pedal definitely feels firmer.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

7th Mar 15 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice day today.

MX5 Project Thread
BeetleGav

7th Mar 15 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good

Thought about a square front plate?
nibnob21
Premium Member

7th Mar 15 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
Looks good

Thought about a square front plate?

Cheers

Briefly, but it's done to death and I don't mind the standard one. Plus there are a few holes in the bumper under the plate so I'd have to faff with sorting them out too.

MX5 Project Thread
BeetleGav

7th Mar 15 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've got 4 holes on show with my bumper, but on darker colours it doesn't show really.

Looks great eitherway
pow
Premium Member

8th Mar 15 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks lovely, miss my Mk1 so much, evil bitch making me sell it for the camper
nibnob21
Premium Member

8th Mar 15 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're cheap, you could easily get a decent one for your half of the camper

MX5 Project Thread
pow
Premium Member

8th Mar 15 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a house now I'd like a Mk2.5 VT Sport now as well really.
nibnob21
Premium Member

22nd Apr 15 at 17:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turns out what I thought was a leaking gasket on the water pump inlet pipe is the water pump itself. Poop.

So I've bought the following to give me something to do on my week off next week

Water pump
Water pump gasket
Water pump inlet pipe gasket
Water pump inlet pipe o-ring
Cam belt
Tensioner pulley
Tensioner spring
Idler pulley
PAS belt
Alternator belt
Crankshaft front oil seal
Woodruff key
Coolant
De-ionised water

Pricey. Only reason I didn't get the cam shaft oil seals is because the place was out of stock (I know mine are fine but thought I'd take the opportunity to change them while I had everything off) and I haven't bought a new rocker cover gasket and CAS o-ring because I changed them not long ago so will just reuse them.

Also the chap who I bought the car off, who lives nearby, is lending me his crank and cam gear locking tools; so that saves me a few quid.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Apr 15 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So here's the leak. Coming from the crank pulley, right beneath the water pump:

Bit of progress made today. Removed the radiator, air box and intake pipework, power steering belt...few other bits and pieces.

Flushed the radiator and the water came out clear straight away which is a good sign.

Ready tomorrow to remove the water pump, pulleys and cam belt.

MX5 Project Thread
--ToM--

25th Apr 15 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one for getting stuck in, was up your neck of the woods this week nice place !
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Apr 15 at 23:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Nice one for getting stuck in, was up your neck of the woods this week nice place !

Not going to fix itself and I'm too much of a tight bastard to pay someone else to do it haha.

I'm just outside Derby, but yeah it's not too bad. From Devon originally so most people think I'm mad for moving away, but here's where the work is!

MX5 Project Thread
--ToM--

26th Apr 15 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Little over I was, dunno how far outside Derby that is lol I was there doing a course.

Belts are nice and easy on them no nasty surprises so you should be sound

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5 24 database queries in 0.1973710 seconds