corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ///MX5
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Apr 15 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Littleover's just one big massive residential estate essentially. Not too bad that area. About a mile or two from the city centre.

Yeah it doesn't seem particularly complicated, fairly methodical work. Read through a few guides and wrote myself one, printed that off and using it as I go along. Good thing with these non-interference engines is if for whatever reason the timing is out, you don't end up with a damaged engine.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

26th Apr 15 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the stripping down completed today. Handy little tool I borrowed that keeps the cam gears in the right position:

Found the source of the problem. You can see the top of the water pump gasket had failed causing it to leak all down one side of the pump:

How I left it today:

Tomorrow's job will be to clean everything up and start reassembly. I forgot to order the thermostat housing o-ring with the other stuff so hopefully that'll turn up tomorrow, if not I won't be able to do much other than fit the new pump.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started putting bits back together today. Not got very far as I don't have the thermostat housing o-ring yet (should arrive tomorrow).

Front crank oil seal was a complete arse. Got the old one out in the end though.

New water pump and pulleys fitted:

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Apr 15 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got it pretty much finished today.

Started up fine first turn of the key

Cooling system was just filled with water which has since been drained out. Came out fairly clear which is good - will give it another one or two flushes.

All seems well and good apart from a leak from the rubber hose at the join to the water pump inlet pipe. I'd cleaned up the inlet pipe surface but forgot to clean the inside of the hose, so hopefully it'll just be that. Unless any one has a more likely suggestion?

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

29th Apr 15 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tackled the leaky rubber hose that joins the water pump inlet pipe. Wiped down the inside of the hose and relocated the metal clip. All seems good now

The already cleaned inlet pipe face (it was completely covered in hard crystalised shite):

Flushed the cooling system another few times until it came out clear. Fresh coolant and de-ionised water in and everything back together:

Took it for a test drive to return some borrowed tools and it's driving fine. Bit of a whine that I think may be the alternator belt. It seems to be sitting marginally proud of the pulleys so it may just need to bed in slightly. I'll see how it is and check the tension after I've put a few more miles on the clock.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd May 15 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noticed a leak again

What I thought before was the water pump inlet pipe hose leaking, turns out to be from above it: the join from the heater return pipe and the water pump inlet pipe

So off with the exhaust manifold heat shield:

And here's my brand new o-ring, fitted last week Annoying thing is the old one was in fine condition but I changed it for the sake of it...and now the old one has been thrown away. So I have to order a new one. Poo.

So, how it's been left for the time being before I can reassemble it later in the week when the new o-ring arrives.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

10th May 15 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got the replacement o-ring fitted midweek. Everything seems ok now.

After a couple of drives the coolant level has settled, topped it back up and is now staying constant. A sigh of relief has been breathed! The belt whine is much quieter too

Undertray refitted yesterday. Job. Done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving on to other things; decided to refit the standard wing mirrors. The reason for removing them in the first place was one of them was too loose so would flop about if you went over a bump, and the other was seized so couldn't be adjusted. So thought I'd strip them down to try and fix them.

The bases were a bit of a state so gave them a quick lick of gloss black:

Bought a set of new bolts, the old ones were completely rusted to hell:

Started reassembly:

Used some white marine grease to help prevent them getting so rusty again in the future:

Then reassembled and fitted:

Forgot that the glass on these is ever so slightly tinted. Makes a big difference at night on a low car to reduce the glare from headlights.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th May 15 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car developed a bit of a squeel which was annoying. Found that the alternator belt had bedded in far quicker than I expected and was really loose. Retensioned it and it seems ok now.

So after all the mechanical work over the last few weeks, leaning all over the car with oily hands etc, I felt the car needed a bit of tlc.

So I bought myself all this lot:

Removed the side lights, number plate and reflectors and got to work. As you can see, the car was a state; not just dirty, but you can see how flat the paint is too:

Washed it with Autoglym Shampoo and clayed it with Bilt Hamber Auto Clay. This only highlighted quite how bad the paint had got. Really dull and lots of scratches. So out came the DA polisher.

Used a Chemical Guys green hex pad and Meguiars Ultimate Compound. First time I've ever used a DA so it was a bit of a learning curve and I didn't want to go in with too coarse a pad from the off. Wasn't aiming for much of a 'correction', just wanted to get the shine back in the paintwork. Have to say though, still quite happy with how some of the worst scratches are much tamer now. Quick before and after of one bit on the rear bumper:

The intention was to then use some Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine polish, but I felt the results from the Meguiars were good enough:

Was even pretty impressed with how it buffed up the rear lights too

So I went on to the waxing. Put on a couple of coats of Collinite 476s. Then the usual 303 Aerospace Protectant for the roof, Meguiars tyre gel on the tyres and front and rear bumper lips. Even treated the interior to a hoover and the seats to a conditioning with Gliptone Leather Conditioner.

The pictures flatter the car, there are still countless imperfections with the paint, but I don't care. It's a damn sight better than it was before

Icing on the cake: new wiper blades. Rock and roll mate.

MX5 Project Thread
Ian W

17th May 15 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good
Ben G

17th May 15 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks absolutely fantastic to me, nibnob!

My paintwork is the same. I think they call it a 10 foot car Looks great from 10 foot away as you can't see all the imperfections.

That 303 aerospace stuff any good? What does it actually do as I see people using it on engine bays. Does it leave a wet look coating?
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th May 15 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers gents. Yes, definitely a 10 foot car Ben lol.

With regards to 303 Aerospace, it's decent stuff for vinyl roofs. Basically, plasticiser oils within PVC vinyl roofs allow the roof to expand and contract in changing temperatures, however exposure to UV rays evaporate these oils resulting in the hood drying out, shrinking and becoming more brittle. 303 Aerospace is a UV screener that doesn’t contain any oils or waxes etc., so doesn’t leave that horrible greasy and slippery finish you get with some products. Instead you get a protective layer that prevents drying, cracking and fading whilst also being water, dust and dirt repellent; hence why it can also be used for other trim and engine dressing etc.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

22nd May 15 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got round to replacing the cracked fuel hose that I noticed a few months back.

Because of the angle of the outlet pipe on the aftermarket fuel filter, it's impossible not to have a fairly tight curve in the hose, causing it to crack over time. New hose is on and I've tried to ease the curve as much as possible, but it's not great. It'll probably crack again in a few months but it'll probably be time for a new filter then anyway.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Jun 15 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had an amazing week last week having a catch up with friends in North West Scotland. Drove over 1,000 faultless miles which is good. Nice to know all the cam belt and water pump work has all been done ok.

The roads are absolutely incredible. Loads of twisties with good straights in between to overtake any people who hate life. Didn't really get many pics of the car, just a few crap ones with the rest of the group:

I can confidently say I've never had so much fun driving the car. We were staying in Fort William, which in itself is a bit of a pit but it's a good hub to go out and do other things. The drive to and from the Isle of Skye was probably the best of my life.

Here's a few other quick random snaps from the week (nothing special, just taken quickly on my phone):

MX5 Project Thread
djgritt
Premium Member

4th Jun 15 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a good place for a trip!
boylers11

4th Jun 15 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car looks good, as does the road trip. Did you get the ferry from Mallaig to Skye or did you take the bridge?
Where is that 2nd pic (castle?)?
nibnob21
Premium Member

4th Jun 15 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went over the bridge.

It's Eileen Donan castle.

MX5 Project Thread
boylers11

4th Jun 15 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh, might be worth a trip then. We were in Mallaig last week and were tempted by Skye, but the weather was crap. Went to Inverie on Knoydart instead!
nibnob21
Premium Member

5th Jun 15 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by boylers11
Ahh, might be worth a trip then. We were in Mallaig last week and were tempted by Skye, but the weather was crap. Went to Inverie on Knoydart instead!

1st pic is part way up Nevis
2nd pic is Eileen Donan castle
3rd is on a road between Staffin and Uig on Skye
4th and 5th are of the Glencoe range over Loch Leven

I thought the weather was fairly good! The forecast was dreadful but generally it was pretty clear, just the odd shower every now and then. Skye was nice but the A87 on the mainland was better than the roads on Skye, plus I think I preferred the scenery on the mainland. Not to take anything away from Skye though, it's a stunning place.

Can't find nicer surroundings in the UK in my opinion. I still keep day dreaming about the roads...

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

13th Jun 15 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of small things done today.

Finally sorted out a bit of a better cold air feed. Nothing special but does the job.

Before I had this crap. Think it's the standard intake pipe that a previous owner has cut short in order to fit the strut brace.

So I ordered some ducting; turned out to be a little on the large side:

But no worries. Decided to chop the plastic pipe down and slot it in the ducting to pack it out.

Then fitted back in the car and routed to behind the headlight:

Then I swapped the interior and number plate bulbs for SMDs:

MX5 Project Thread
scoob
Premium Member

13th Jun 15 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got to page 9 realised its not an m3
nibnob21
Premium Member

13th Jun 15 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MX5 Project Thread
Ben G

13th Jun 15 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those bulbs look more blue than white.
nibnob21
Premium Member

13th Jun 15 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just how the camera picks them up. They're the standard white you get from SMDs.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

24th Jun 15 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Accidentally got sucked in by a group buy and spent £600 on coilovers. Oops.

MX5 Project Thread
Ad Blue B

25th Jun 15 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Accidentally" haha, the same way i "accidentally" got dragged into putting a deposit down for some seats for the 182

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » ///MX5 24 database queries in 0.1145179 seconds