corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone on here have a Shotgun/ firearms license?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone on here have a Shotgun/ firearms license?
Dave

User status: Offline
28th Dec 14 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went clay shooting again yesterday, such a good laugh. Seems to be if you miss a few and start to get a bit pissed you absolutely muller the next one and it's all ok again. Shoulder is in bits today though.
Doug

29th Dec 14 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any recommendations for chemical anchors to be used in Thermalite?

Want to get my gun cabinet fitted before the visit. Although I might talk to them in advance to confirm the location!
Gary
Premium Member

29th Dec 14 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's your proposed location?

Rawl do some chem resin at screwfix that's good stuff. It's all about the same really
Dave

29th Dec 14 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just use any old resin, you can get tubes that fit in a normal silicone gun. When you drill though it's best to form a bit of a cone shape by moving the drill about, although it seems unlikely that plod are gonna come and do pull tests.
John

29th Dec 14 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you need a specific type of fixing for a gun cabinet?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rigifix-drywall-anchors-m8-x-110mm-pack-of-4/80693

These are the business for thermalite blocks.
harrisp

30th Dec 14 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't the fixing have to be 10mm and a minimum of 6 ?
I think I'd use chemical fixings in thermalite blocks rather than the type john posted (but haven't actually used them so can't comment), but I have fixed a mates safe with hilti HUS screws into block and the floor and the guy was happy with it at his inspection.
For mine I used hilti resin to fix 8 10mm rods for mine, but the resin from screwfix.

[Edited on 30-12-2014 by harrisp]
Doug

30th Dec 14 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spoke to the firearms dept as I wanted to confirm the best location. their advice was to leave it unfitted until the officer comes for the interview. At that point we can choose the place and I will be able to fit it in my own time without it affecting the time it takes to get the certificate.

I was planning on mounting in in the corner of a room, cutting out the skirting boards and also cutting out the plasterboard for the rear surface. That way I can mount it directly to the thermalite and put some sealant around the edge of the plasterboard and the cabinet.

John

30th Dec 14 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds like a lot of hassle, those rigifix bolts avoid doing that but still having the surface you are tightening against flush with the plasterboard. You also have to fix that when you move.

If the plasterboard is dot dabbed on, that'll make more mess than you think.
Doug

30th Dec 14 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That sounds like a lot of hassle, those rigifix bolts avoid doing that but still having the surface you are tightening against flush with the plasterboard. You also have to fix that when you move.

If the plasterboard is dot dabbed on, that'll make more mess than you think.

That's a very good point, John. I forgot that it is dot and dabbed on!

I have used those rigifix bolts to mount my TV and they are very good. I did have a problem with one of the fixings spinning as I think the thermalite crumbled a bit. Hence why I was going to go down the chemical anchor route this time, as I don't want to fixings coming loose when the officer is testing it
Gary
Premium Member

30th Dec 14 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only 3 out of the 4 of mine were a decent fixing and it passed fine
taylorboosh

30th Dec 14 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mates is in his loft - that an option?
RichR
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loft isn't ideal but will pass; mine didn't even get expected - must be on a solid wall not stud. My officer preferred them on the groun floor so that they're used and people don't complacently leave their guns elsewhere until they get round to putting them away. Loft is okay if you use them occasionally but I use mine twice a week so would be a pita having to go up and down to the loft to get my gun.

My dad has a single gun cabinet, I have a 4 gun. I prefer bigger as I keep my ear defenders, vest, cleaning gear, glasses etc. all in there and contemplating buying my missus a Hello Kitty 20g shotgun to keep in there too...
RichR
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines fitted with the 4 fixings it came with and 1 of them is just turning in the socket. If someone want them badly enough to rip them off the wall and then break it open ten they're welcome to it.
Doug

1st Jan 15 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe I am going a bit far with the chemical fixings then?

I have 6 huge bolts like I have used to put my TV up; so might just stick with those.

Is it best to fit it above the skirting board or does it look best with the skirting board trimmed out to sit the cabinet flush?
Gary
Premium Member

1st Jan 15 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chop skirting.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

1st Jan 15 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Mates is in his loft - that an option?

My brother's mate got told that if he'd put his in the loft, the guy wouldn't have inspected it. It may have just been one guy that didn't want to get covered in dust and cobwebs but if they have that option, then it's always going to be risky.
RichR
Premium Member

1st Jan 15 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Chop skirting.

Mines in the cupboard under the stairs at the minute - no skirting in there and out of the way.
Graeme
Premium Member

1st Jan 15 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't really keep it in the loft. Normally a fair but of moisture in them and if you have a steel gun not best.

I need to get a cabinet. Keep mine at my brothers.

Any recommendations for a cheap 3 gun one?

Also I presume I need to ring the officer and get them out to inspect so I can keep it in there?
Doug

2nd Jan 15 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went out for my first lesson today at Oxford Gun Company; my arms are about ready to drop off!
The most I have shot in the past has been 25 and today I did 125. We didn't keep track of scores but rough bet was 100 out of 125 killed.
Instructor seemed pretty impressed with my shooting and certainly didn't say I was wasting my time with picking the sport up which was a confidence boost.

I've 99% decided on the gun, a Browning 525 or maybe a 725 if I can find a second hand one for good money.

For now, I want to look at getting a vest and some hearing protection. I am considering the following and would appreciate any feedback or alternative suggestions.

Vest:
Sealand Woodcock in Olive
http://www.uttings.co.uk/p112969-seeland-woodcock-waistcoat-shaded-olive-12-02-033-26/#.VKa98IqsX88

Ear Defenders:
Peltor Bullseye
http://www.ardmoor.co.uk/peltor-bullseye-i-hearing-protection-jr-pel-pesa

Any alternative suggestions for either? Or does anyone have any old kit they could donate/sell cheap?
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Jan 15 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That vest looks sound.abit like my musto which is bang on.

I had those peltors to start with and kept knocking them with the stock. Went for custom moulded in ear jobbies, 100quid well spent.
Doug

2nd Jan 15 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can get the new Musto vest for £60 on ebay. That might be a better shout as I am unlikely to be doing any game shooting until next season.

http://www.musto.com/christmas-gifts/gifts-by-activity/shooting-gifts/evolution-clay-shooting-vest-carbon-lite.html#

It's a shame they don't do that in an olive colour

[Edited on 02-01-2015 by Doug]
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Jan 15 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dnt need olive on a clay ground. Think RichR will 2nd the musto too
Doug

2nd Jan 15 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gone for a different Musto one, a more country style that would suit a more formal setting rather than a skeet style vest:

Regarding ear defenders, has anyone tried the Bisley compact ones?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bisley-Compact-Shotgun-Ear-Defenders-Shooting-Hearing-Muffs-Hunting-Protection-/380687401442?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item58a2bcc1e2

They look more slimline than the Peltors?

Or am I better off with some foam plugs for a few pence until I can get some nice ones?
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Jan 15 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plugs, although I'd be keen on getting something decent asap. Eyes and ears are more important than owt else
Doug

2nd Jan 15 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got glasses with multiple lenses from my mountain biking so I can use them. Is there a preference of lens colour to use? I have clear, yellow and dark.

I've got my hat, my trusty flatcap.

It's a shame the lessons are so expensive, it makes horse riding seem cheap

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone on here have a Shotgun/ firearms license? 22 database queries in 0.1078432 seconds