corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Aug 14 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Don't you find overtime as you get used to this new world of apps for everything, you're actually using less? I used to regularly go through 20-30 apps per day, but my usage over the past 24 hours (looking at open apps in iOS) has been: BBC Weather, Google Chrome, Nike+ Move & Skype. I almost think it's kind of a fad, for me at least.

I agree with this. I had hundreds of apps on my iPhone, deleted them all, and didn't miss them at all.

Although I have all of those apps in the list above installed, that's largely to support the developers and contribute to the stats / their revenue / have an argument when people go, "urgh you dickhead - why have you got a Windows Phone, it hasn't got any apps". I actually only use a handful on a daily basis:

2Day (GTD task management - syncs with Windows Desktop version)
Cal (really nice Calendar app with nice Live Tile)
OneNote
OneDrive
WhatsApp
Spotify
Fitbit
Nextgen Reader (RSS feeds)
Windows Phone Central (news/forum reader)
ProShot (Camera)

I don't "use: these as such, they just sit there running a live tile on my start screen which I look at several times a day:

HERE Drive+ (I have a Live Tile pinned which tells me how the traffic is looking on my commute / estimated duration of commute)
Analog Tile Clock
Blue Skies (Weather)
Insider Pro (Battery stats)
My EE (has live tile with allowance notifications etc)

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
i dont know if still the case, but apps that were free or 50p on android, are £1.30 on windows

I haven't actually paid for a single Windows Phone app personally - through various promotions and competitions/giveaways, I amassed about £60 in Windows Phone Store credit so I've never really looked at the prices. They largely seem to be around a quid off the top of my head, maybe a bit more for premium titles like Runtastic.

[Edited on 06-08-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
Wunderlist launched for Windows Phone today, looks pretty nice:

I had a good play with this yesterday, seems to do the job - if any Windows Phone-rs needs a good cross-platform list-making app with collaboration features (e.g. sharing a shopping list with the Mrs or something) - it's probably about as good as it gets.
John

6th Aug 14 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You also don't get Google Now (I think) which gets better and better.
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You also don't get Google Now (I think) which gets better and better.

Don't need it - we have Live Tiles and Cortana; any data that Google Now can show - news, weather, stocks, RSS feeds, commute etc. can all be shown on your home screen or lock screen:

From left to right row by row:
Weather, Alarm, Clock
Windows Phone Central RSS Feed, Email (if I had any new emails the subject and part of the body would be shown)
Battery stats (configurable - can show other phone related stuff if you want), My Commute - if it were home time it would show me a smaller version of the screenshot below for commute time, congestion etc.)
Calendar with upcoming appointments, Stocks and Shares
News - shows the latest headlines on the reverse (it flips every few seconds), My remaining 4G allowance

(obviously I've blurred out my particulars)

John

6th Aug 14 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can it parse your email and tell you when you need to leave the house to catch a filght? Can it automatically learn when you leave for work and the route and automatically alert you when the traffic is busy and how much earlier you should leave?

Does it automatically take note of where you've parked the car when out shopping (of limited usefulness unless you are somewhere you don't know).

I've found it to be getting increasingly good.
Russ

6th Aug 14 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does it use location based reminders?
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
does it use location based reminders?

Cortana (which is the WinPho Siri equivalent) in Windows Phone 8.1 does, yes - I've ringfenced home, work and Tescos to remind me to do various things when leaving home, work or at the shop.

evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Can it parse your email and tell you when you need to leave the house to catch a flight?

Don't know - never tried. I typically know when I need to leave the house to catch a flight. Cortana can parse your email for calendar appointments and the like, so I imagine it can probably do this as well.

quote:
Can it automatically learn when you leave for work and the route and automatically alert you when the traffic is busy and how much earlier you should leave?

Yes - this is very useful.

quote:
Does it automatically take note of where you've parked the car when out shopping (of limited usefulness unless you are somewhere you don't know).

Cortana may or may not do this, I typically know where I've parked my car. However, I do know that HERE Drive+ does this (i.e. if you've satnav'd somewhere you don't know, it will remember where you parked automatically).

evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's a video of Cortana alongside Siri and Google Now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HJodK56EsU
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg8mjR1TCNs
kz

6th Aug 14 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kz
Don't you find overtime as you get used to this new world of apps for everything, you're actually using less? I used to regularly go through 20-30 apps per day, but my usage over the past 24 hours (looking at open apps in iOS) has been: BBC Weather, Google Chrome, Nike+ Move & Skype. I almost think it's kind of a fad, for me at least.

I agree with this. I had hundreds of apps on my iPhone, deleted them all, and didn't miss them at all.

Although I have all of those apps in the list above installed, that's largely to support the developers and contribute to the stats / their revenue / have an argument when people go, "urgh you dickhead - why have you got a Windows Phone, it hasn't got any apps". I actually only use a handful on a daily basis:

2Day (GTD task management - syncs with Windows Desktop version)
Cal (really nice Calendar app with nice Live Tile)
OneNote
OneDrive
WhatsApp
Spotify
Fitbit
Nextgen Reader (RSS feeds)
Windows Phone Central (news/forum reader)
ProShot (Camera)

I don't "use: these as such, they just sit there running a live tile on my start screen which I look at several times a day:

HERE Drive+ (I have a Live Tile pinned which tells me how the traffic is looking on my commute / estimated duration of commute)
Analog Tile Clock
Blue Skies (Weather)
Insider Pro (Battery stats)
My EE (has live tile with allowance notifications etc)

quote:
i dont know if still the case, but apps that were free or 50p on android, are £1.30 on windows

I haven't actually paid for a single Windows Phone app personally - through various promotions and competitions/giveaways, I amassed about £60 in Windows Phone Store credit so I've never really looked at the prices. They largely seem to be around a quid off the top of my head, maybe a bit more for premium titles like Runtastic.

It's now almost the end of the day and I also opened Google Maps, OneDrive, FileApp & Twitter so a total of 8 apps opened for a typical day, not bad I suppose.
Cavey

6th Aug 14 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For adults a windows phone is fine, and if you don't mind waiting a while to get apps. But tbh that even happened on android. SkyGo app took about 6 months after iOS, which drove me crazy.

Can understand kids getting annoyed if all their mates are playing a game and they can't play it as there's not a version available yet.

But for grown ups, there does seem to be a suitable app for the things you need.
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows Phone - for adults. I like that!
ed

6th Aug 14 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Don't know - never tried.

That's the thing with Google Now, you don't have to try. It just does.
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Don't know - never tried.

That's the thing with Google Now, you don't have to try. It just does.

Let me rephrase - I haven't received an email with flight details since getting Windows Phone 8.1, ergo don't know how it would treat that information.
Russ

6th Aug 14 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about an ebay purchase? that lets you know when it was dispatched etc
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
what about an ebay purchase? that lets you know when it was dispatched etc

eBay live tile does that.
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are we getting the message yet? Live Tiles are a different way of getting data driven notification about stuff that matters to you.

I like the Live Tiles paradigm. You like Google Now. Both get the job done, neither is better than the other in my opinion.
John

6th Aug 14 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using the word paradigm isn't making it better. Google now just brings up stuff you need, when you need it. No installing apps to fit the different paradigm. Its not to do with the live tiles either, I actually quite like that idea. Its completely unobtrusive until its got something useful.
Dom

6th Aug 14 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't even watch Youtube videos with Google Now..... http://instagram.com/p/rXDghCNd56

[Edited on 06-08-2014 by Dom]
Dom

6th Aug 14 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Google now just brings up stuff you need, when you need it.

From my experience it doesn't always work; certainly i've had location reminders that haven't alerted me and it's never automatically read my EasyJet emails and alerted me regarding flights.

Saying that, i'm not overly arsed with all of these mobile assistants - i'm happy to sort my life out myself Only really useful feature is the ability to send messages/texts/emails by voice command, handy to have in the car
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
You can't even watch Youtube videos with Google Now..... http://instagram.com/p/rXDghCNd56

In fairness, you can't watch telly with an Xbox One either:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/06/16/aaron-paul-xbox-one-advert-accidentally-turning-consoles-on

evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I'm not overly arsed with all of these mobile assistants - i'm happy to sort my life out myself

^ this.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Only really useful feature is the ability to send messages/texts/emails by voice command, handy to have in the car

Cortana does this quite well, to be fair. With the exception of almost always putting in the wrong its/it's, their/there/they're etc. and various other homophones but none of them are any good at that.
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Using the word paradigm isn't making it better. Google now just brings up stuff you need, when you need it. No installing apps to fit the different paradigm. Its not to do with the live tiles either, I actually quite like that idea. Its completely unobtrusive until its got something useful.

I'm sorry you found my use of the word paradigm offensive; it was simply the right word for the job.

You don't need to 'install' Live Tiles - Live Tiles are simply the "icons" for the apps. If you are a keen eBayer, for example, you would probably have the eBay app installed as par for the course. If you put that "icon" on your start screen, it will present you with timely, salient information. Even if you didn't want to use the Live Tile, you would get notifications in the notification centre.

I would say any application that parses your e-mail is fairly obtrusive.
John

6th Aug 14 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bits I really like are the traffic alerts and dispatch things are quite handy.

I don't do enough to be interested in the whole personal assistant thing but google just seems to get what I want to see.

I'd like to try windows phone but I do sometimes need the niche things so android does the job best so far.

<<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >>

New Poll