corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
VegasPhil
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Aug 14 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine updated to 8.1 today

Seriously cannot get my head around how people still have iPhones compared to these. My other halfs 1020 is seriously good.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Brett
Premium Member

13th Aug 14 at 09:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got one problem since update. Worked fine before but now no matter what I do some sites will divert me to the shitty mobile version, really annoying, ebay is one of them
evilrob
Premium Member

13th Aug 14 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I've got one problem since update. Worked fine before but now no matter what I do some sites will divert me to the shitty mobile version, really annoying, ebay is one of them

In Internet Explorer, hit the three dots at the bottom-right hand corner of the screen to bring up the menu, choose settings, make sure "Website Preference" is set to "Desktop Version"
evilrob
Premium Member

13th Aug 14 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Mine updated to 8.1 today

Seriously cannot get my head around how people still have iPhones compared to these. My other halfs 1020 is seriously good.

evilrob
Premium Member

13th Aug 14 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
My other halfs 1020 is seriously good.

Dunno if she's got a birthday coming up or some other special occasion, but she may or may not like one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E67MOF2/sr=8-2/qid=1407924240/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1407924240&sr=8-2

It's a camera grip case, with built-in battery; turns your 1020 into a more conventionally shaped camera, with additional battery life.

[Edited on 13-08-2014 by evilrob]
Brett
Premium Member

13th Aug 14 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
quote:

In Internet Explorer, hit the three dots at the bottom-right hand corner of the screen to bring up the menu, choose settings, make sure "Website Preference" is set to "Desktop Version"

Yep, that's always on anyway mate.

Say if I got on ebay, it'll go to the desktop version fine, but if I then click on an item it'll do it in mobile view. I don't even see the point in mobile view these days, well not for me anyway, would prefer full fat versions always.

Wikipedia also goes mobile for example and wont go desktop regardless of setting. Same for you?

[Edited on 13-08-2014 by Brett]
evilrob
Premium Member

13th Aug 14 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Say if I got on ebay, it'll go to the desktop version fine, but if I then click on an item it'll do it in mobile view. I don't even see the point in mobile view these days, well not for me anyway, would prefer full fat versions always.

Wikipedia also goes mobile for example and wont go desktop regardless of setting. Same for you?

Just tried it - same. How annoying.

On Wikipedia, the search page comes up in 'mobile' flavour but it shows the actual Desktop page for the entry itself. On eBay, the search page comes up in 'desktop' flavour, but the listing itself is the mobile version. Bizarre.

This is definitely a new quirk that's arrived with 8.1. I imagine there will be a good amount of moaning about it and a fix will be pushed out in due course.

Not sure what can be done in the interim though. Use the Wikipedia and eBay apps I suppose.

I'd rather have irritating mobile sites than no notification centre, quiet hours or individual volume controls for ringer and apps, though!

[Edited on 13-08-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

13th Aug 14 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For eBay you can bookmark or pin the following URL:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/?redirect=mobile

Seems to force the desktop site from thereonin.
evilrob
Premium Member

13th Aug 14 at 15:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
VegasPhil
Premium Member

13th Aug 14 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been playing around tonight. Love the new shape writing.

As they put it, you need to get the hang of it though!

That camera grip you have posted has already been eyed up lol by the missus!

kz

15th Aug 14 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Uh-oh!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/14/6003427/windows-phone-sales-decline-q2-2014-idc
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Aug 14 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Uh-oh!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/14/6003427/windows-phone-sales-decline-q2-2014-idc

That would largely be due to not having released any new phones until Q3; the impression I get from Windows Phone forums is that people have been waiting for the *30 series phones (530, 630, 730, 830 and 930). That said, they still sold 5.8million devices.

IDC, the outfit behind this 2.5% market share in Q2 2014 calculation, also published their prediction that Windows Phone will hit 6.4% market share by 2018, but no-one seems to mention that little tidbit.

Microsoft just bought Nokia - I'm pretty sure they're in it for the long haul, and we can expect to see something spectacular in due course.

Not worried.
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Aug 14 at 11:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Counter argument from Paul Thurrott:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/its-too-early-write-third-smartphone-ecosystem?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
John

15th Aug 14 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Microsoft have a renewed opportunity at this with the massive uptake of 365. Having your laptop/tablet/phone all easily in unison, combined with your work account, is a great service.

What's going against them is they are absolutely terrible at launching anything.
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Aug 14 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Microsoft have a renewed opportunity at this with the massive uptake of 365. Having your laptop/tablet/phone all easily in unison, combined with your work account, is a great service.

What's going against them is they are absolutely terrible at launching anything.

I agree with all of this.

The whole point of this experiment was to see if the products were up to snuff, despite all the naysayers on the street and in the press. It turns out the products are fine, brilliant in many cases. Microsoft just seem incapable of getting people to understand them for some reason!
Brett
Premium Member

26th Aug 14 at 06:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can the swipe navigation be turned off in IE? Assume its another new feature as it didn't bother me before but its annoying as fuck now
evilrob
Premium Member

26th Aug 14 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Can the swipe navigation be turned off in IE? Assume its another new feature as it didn't bother me before but its annoying as fuck now

Not that I'm aware of; can't say I've had any problems with it personally.

Have you got your touch sensitivity set to high, maybe?

(Settings > Touch > Touch Sensitivity)
Brett
Premium Member

26th Aug 14 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, it'll just be the way I move my thumb to move across sites. Ends up moving me back pages and all sorts
evilrob
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, fuck... went and had a play with a Surface Pro 3 didn't I.

Contrary to my previous belief it was 'just a bit thinner, a bit lighter, a slightly longer battery life and a wacky pivoty stand' - the sum of all the tweaks knocks the old Surface Pro into a cocked hat.

Bollocks. Need one now.
kz

11th Sep 14 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like my mum might be getting one soon, I shall be jealous (apart from the retarded logo placement lol)

Do they have them in-store in Currys? There's £100 cash back available on them until September 24th.
pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to order one
evilrob
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Do they have them in-store in Currys? There's £100 cash back available on them until September 24th.

Dunno mate - I imagine it will vary from store to store. I saw this one in John Lewis.

Cheers for the heads up on the £100 cashback malarky. Wasn't really planning on making a frivolous £1,000 purchase this side of Christmas, though!! Definitely on the 2015 wish list I reckon.

Having dipped my toe in the water with a bargain first gen Surface Pro, I'd buy another without hesitation (assuming I had the cash readily available and not allocated to other stuff!)

[Edited on 11-09-2014 by evilrob]
Jambo

11th Sep 14 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like the look of the surface pro3
VegasPhil
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So do I - Brilliant looking

Stumbled across my first issue with Windows Phone and availability of Apps that I am interested in. Was interested in buying a Sonos Play:1 but can't see that it will work with WP.

evilrob
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Was interested in buying a Sonos Play:1 but can't see that it will work with WP.

Phonos - Sonos client app for Windows Phone:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/phonos/de3df14b-8d17-e011-9264-00237de2db9e

I've used this with a mate's Play:3 - worked fine. It's not as pretty as the real deal, but it does the job.

I've been using Windows Phone with Spotify (which is now free to stream at home on Windows Phone same as Android and iOS) and a bonky old Apple iPod HiFi I got off eBay for £60 - it only went for that cos it was collection only. Those that will post normally go for around a ton.

Sounds way better than a Play:1 (they were about £350 when they first came out) - on par with a B&W Zeppelin in my opinion:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=apple+ipod+hifi&LH_Complete=1&_from=R40%7CR40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xapple+%22ipod+hifi%22&_nkw=apple+%22ipod+hifi%22&_sacat=0

Just need to whack on a Bluetooth adaptor - job done:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver-sounddock-speaker-White/dp/B00EEGTPTI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-2&keywords=white+iPod+bluetooth+adaptor+dock

[Edited on 11-09-2014 by evilrob]

<<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >>

New Poll