corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
John

User status: Offline
4th Aug 14 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bottom right hand corner, settings, control panel. Or hit the windows key and type the first few letters. No harder than previous versions.
Dom

4th Aug 14 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
No start menu, a real arse to find my computer or control panel.

Just enable 'boot to desktop upon sign-in' (go to Taskbar properties, Navigation tab) and use a third-party start-menu application like Start Menu Reviver or Classic Shell
kz

4th Aug 14 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Played with one those HTC's on Android the other day and thought it was fantastic. Good look getting Windows Phone on there, as I prefer the OS... still not quite enough to take me away from my iPhone though, but getting closer.
3CorsaMeal

4th Aug 14 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will be trying these 8.1 tips tomorrow

Hardly used it since buying it. Any good games to get?
3CorsaMeal

4th Aug 14 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fancy a game with pirate ships in it
Balling
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 06:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
Ah, fuck.

Apparently HTC are releasing an M8 running Windows Phone, renamed W8.
What's with the grief? Looking at tech specs, it's more or less the exact same phone in a different casing.

evilrob
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 07:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Ah, fuck.

Apparently HTC are releasing an M8 running Windows Phone, renamed W8.
What's with the grief? Looking at tech specs, it's more or less the exact same phone in a different casing.

I'm not actually unhappy at all. It was more amusement than grief as I never expected to experience the "buy a phone, something better comes out two days' later" scenario in the Windows Phone world! Usually, you buy the flagship Nokia and you're sorted til next year.

That said, no-one knows at this stage what the W8 will be packing. They might sneak something spectacular and unique in there.

If I'd known, I might have waited and tried it out, seen which felt better in the hand, compared build quality etc. I do love the 930 though - I reckon I would still have gone for it even if I'd had the option of the W8.

It's probably a good thing other manufacturers are putting new Windows Phones out there. HTC haven't released a new Windows Phone for a good while.
kz

5th Aug 14 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just reading The Verge review of the 930 atm, it's from Tom Warren too who is their only Microsoft fanboy, however the overall rating doesn't seem very good! A shame, but I'm sure he'll have positive things to say too, here it is for anyone concerned...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/4/5956419/nokia-lumia-930-lumia-630-review
evilrob
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've found the Verge and TechRadar generally don't have many good things to say about Windows Phone.

I had a few annoyances with it when I first got my 920 running 8.0, but I struggle to think of anything that pisses me off with 8.1.
evilrob
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It irks me that the 'app gap' argument continues to rear its ugly head. There are loads of apps, many of them have a better-looking UI than their iOS/Android counterparts. Personally, I love the way apps look on Windows Phone.

I'm currently running:

Social networks:

Facebook Beta (actually prefer this to my previous favourite, the iPhone Facebook app)

Instagram (Official)
--> also available is 6tag, a third party Instagram client which many consider to be better than any Instagram client official or otherwise
Twitter
Foursquare
LinkedIn
Vine
--> also available 6sec, third party Vine client
6snap (Snapchat client)
6tin (Tindr client)
Path
Vyclone

VOIP / Instant Messengers:

WhatsApp
Line
IM Pro + (multi-IM client)

BlackBerry Messenger

Fitness:
Runtastic Pro

Runtastic Push-Ups
Runtastic Sit-Ups
Runtastic Pull-ups
Runtastic Squats
Fitbit

Trainr
7 Minute Workout
100 Pushups
Total C25K+

Shopping:

Amazon
eBay (and PayPal)

--> there are many more apps that allow you to buy stuff, but I pretty much only buy things from Amazon and eBay these days

Reading:

Nextgen Reader (RSS feed reader - syncs with Feedly, also use the Windows Metro app on my Surface Pro)
Amazon Kindle
ReadIt (Reddit client)

Poki (Pocket client)

9gag
Windows Phone Central (news/forum reader)
Tapatalk (forum reader)

Productivity:

2Day (GTD task management - syncs with Windows Desktop version)

OneNote (built-in)
Evernote (for access to legacy notes - I use OneNote primarily now)
Cisco WebEx (WebEx client)
Office (built-in - create/edit word docs, excel spreadsheets etc)

Cloud storage:

OneDrive
Cloud6 (Dropbox client)
Nuvola (CloudApp client)

Media:

Netflix

Spotify
Xbox Music
Xbox Video
MetroTube (YouTube client with download facility for offline viewing)
BBC iPlayer
BBC Radio

ITV Player
4OD
Demand 5
TVCatchup
VEVO
Vimeo

GPS / Maps:

HERE Drive+ (Satnav)

HERE Maps
Geocaching Live

Photography:

Photoshop Express

Phototastic (collage maker)

ProShot (gives you much more granular control over the camera - change exposure, bracketing, white balance etc)
GoPro (HERO controller app)

Misc:

Blue Skies (really nice Weather app with nice Live Tile)

Insider Pro (if you have Windows Phone, you need this app - battery monitor, flashlight, stopwatch, timer, all sorts)

Cal (really nice Calendar app with nice Live Tile)

Cocktail Flow (nice Cocktail app - tells you what you can make with whatever spirits/mixers you have in stock)
My EE (has live tile with allowance notifications etc)
Analog Tile Clock (makes nice looking clock Live Tiles in a variety of styles)
CamScanner (OCR business cards, anything with text on basically)

JustEat (takeaway app)
Package Tracker (courier tracking app, can pin deliveries to your start page to keep an eye on them)
Pocket File Manager (file management app)
Adobe Reader (PDF viewer)

[Edited on 05-08-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wunderlist launched for Windows Phone today, looks pretty nice:

Dave

5th Aug 14 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Sky Go?
evilrob
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
No Sky Go?

Not as far as I'm aware. Don't have Sky.
Balling
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It irks me that the 'app gap' argument continues to rear its ugly head.
It's quite obviously still there and something they need to highlight as while you personally are happy to find "work arounds" the average user will likely not be, but will find it annoying that the new game/app everyone is talking about isn't available on their platform.

We've been over this before, I'm sure even in this very thread, and the same arguments still holds. When a new app comes out, it's 99% certain to come out on iOS and/or Android. Can't say the same for Windows.

I'm sure I've seen two or three cases on here just over the last couple of days of people unable to do something with their Windows phone, because of a missing App. Think maybe Brett was affected once or twice recently? Not saying they've been major issues btw, just pointing out their existence.
Edit: Sorry, looks like it's the same missing app mentioned in two separate threads.

As a gamer I've been enjoying some often useless but always creative companion apps to new games on the PS4. How many of these have been released on Windows? I'm not sure if a single one has. Sucks to go "all Microsoft" with an Xbox720p and Win phone...

Now, I'm definitely not saying these are complete deal breakers and reasons nobody should buy a Windows Phone, not at all, I'm just saying the app gap IS there, whether you're personally affected or not.

[Edited on 05-08-2014 by Balling]

evilrob
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
It irks me that the 'app gap' argument continues to rear its ugly head.
It's quite obviously still there and something they need to highlight as while you personally are happy to find "work arounds" the average user will likely not be, but will find it annoying that the new game/app everyone is talking about isn't available on their platform.

I'm not denying its existence (despite the deliberate clickbait title of this post currently), I am just annoyed that the tech press harping on about the 'app gap' is interpreted by the general public as, "Yeah, I like the look of that Windows phone but it doesn't have any apps, does it?" - no, it doesn't get the latest apps first, but the apps it does have will serve most people well, most of the time.

Or to put it another way - the moment people hear 'app gap' they immediately think it either doesn't have apps or the ones it does have are under par, which isn't the case. It is missing certain particular dealbreaking apps for some people, but what I tried to show above is that most of the big names are alive and kicking on Windows Phone.

evilrob
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
As a gamer I've been enjoying some often useless but always creative companion apps to new games on the PS4. How many of these have been released on Windows? I'm not sure if a single one has. Sucks to go "all Microsoft" with an Xbox720p and Win phone...

Looks like I have all that to look forward to; Xbox One will be next on the list.

I haven't paid any attention to the next (current?) gen consoles to date.

Balling
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Looks like I have all that to look forward to; Xbox One will be next on the list.
Make sure you get the LEGO games then, I hear they look great on the Xbone as displaying blocks comes quite naturally to it.

[/PSfanboy]

evilrob
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balling
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 20:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm not denying its existence (despite the deliberate clickbait title of this post currently), I am just annoyed that the tech press harping on about the 'app gap' is interpreted by the general public as, "Yeah, I like the look of that Windows phone but it doesn't have any apps, does it?" - no, it doesn't get the latest apps first, but the apps it does have work perfectly well and will serve most people well, most of the time.

Or to put it another way - the moment people hear 'app gap' they immediately think it either doesn't have apps or the ones it does have are under par, which isn't the case.
I agree with that, but I guess it's one of those things that comes across as very black and white, while it's far from the case.

Reviewers mentioning "the gap" should probably paint a clear picture of the extent of the "problem".

Dom

5th Aug 14 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Reviewers mentioning "the gap" should probably paint a clear picture of the extent of the "problem".

Depends how biased the publication is
Brett
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Think maybe Brett was affected once or twice recently?

Wow there, I love my Windows phone But yes, I mentioned in a thread it was unlikely I'd be able to download some particular app VRS mentioned to connect to Renaults I've not actually checked if there is any kind of OBD scanner apps tbh, could very well be.

EDIT: There is OBD Auto Doctor

[Edited on 05-08-2014 by Brett]
John

5th Aug 14 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re app gap thing, there are loads of niche things that the author won't bother with anything other than iOS or android. An app to control a 3rd party Ethernet module for a Honeywell alarm is one that comes to mind first.

You might never need something like that but if you do, having windows phone is limiting your choices.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most will only use a handful of apps. I just searched to make sure that what I needed was in the store prior to changing my iphone to windows phone.

Advised the missus to do the same. Don't recall any App Store disappointment yet.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Russ

6th Aug 14 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know if still the case, but apps that were free or 50p on android, are £1.30 on windows
kz

6th Aug 14 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't you find overtime as you get used to this new world of apps for everything, you're actually using less? I used to regularly go through 20-30 apps per day, but my usage over the past 24 hours (looking at open apps in iOS) has been: BBC Weather, Google Chrome, Nike+ Move & Skype. I almost think it's kind of a fad, for me at least.

<<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >>

New Poll