corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  8    9    10    11    12    13    14  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
kz

User status: Offline
14th Apr 14 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah was reading The Verge review today, looks good actually. They're getting there, slowly!
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 19:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Yeah was reading The Verge review today, looks good actually. They're getting there, slowly!

I'm struggling to think of anything I don't like about Windows Phone now.

I will definitely be getting a 930 when they're available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7eMY45Fw0M

Specs:
5" AMOLED 1080P Screen
20MP PureView camera
Quad Core Snapdragon 2.2ghz processor
2Gb RAM
32Gb storage (+7gb cloud storage via Onedrive)
2420mAh battery
Wireless charging: Built-in (Qi standard)

[Edited on 14-04-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In other news, I bought one of these bad boys:

More info:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/p/sculpt-ergonomic-desktop/L5V-00006

It's pretty good, I like it - I already used a Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000, which was full of about 7 years' worth of toast crumbs, bogeys and general smeg; it was utterly revolting and knackered - all the print had rubbed off the keys so it looked like a Das Keyboard. It was overdue a replacement, and this does the job nicely - it feels much better made than my old one - really solid. Overall - thumbs up from me if you like a bendy keyboard.

[Edited on 14-04-2014 by evilrob]
kz

15th Apr 14 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wi-Fi Sense sounds really, really handy.

I've got the other mouse with the blue bit on lol... the Sculpt Comfort Mouse. Actually very good, and I'm damn fussy with mice. I found the thumb position a bit annoying at first, but I've got used to it now.

Keyboard wise I just use the Type Cover constantly now. I wasn't sure if this was going to be a permanent solution at first and it does miss the odd letter here and there but ultimately I'm very happy with it.
JordyCarter

30th Apr 14 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Logitec mx518 has been my favourite gaming mouse for years
Rob_Quads

20th May 14 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Time to replace your Surface to the Pro 3
evilrob
Premium Member

20th May 14 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watching the webcast now:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/may14/05-20webcast.aspx
evilrob
Premium Member

20th May 14 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's cool and all, but meh... bit thinner, bit faster, bit more battery life blah blah blah... I'm quite happy with my first gen Pro for now.
Rob_Quads

20th May 14 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did laugh at the scales thing. Lets compare something with a keyboard and something without.

As you say looks like a nice upgrade. Will be interesting to see $$
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th May 14 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to chime in, I've had a gen1 RT surface for ages now - spent most of it's time sat in a drawer at work.

I brought it over to the US with me as my Gen1 iPad was just about useless now, with the intention to pickup an Android tablet whilst I'm here... however the RT has been brilliant filling in the "pure" tablet role.

I dumped the stupid flat keyboard thing and settled with the onscreen jobby, and I'm pretty much ignoring "desktop" mode.

My views of RT are almost exactly the opposite of Windows 8. If they dumped desktop mode from RT completely and forced you into the tiled interface and "apps" only - this would go from "solid" to "brilliant", but the desktop mode is only a distraction really.

There are a few glitches with it, mainly the onscreen keyboard not popping up when you focus a text box - not sure if that's resolved on the newer tablets or whether it's a software bug(?)

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rob_Quads

20th May 14 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not cheap that for sure.

The entry-level $799 Surface Pro 3 model carries a Core i3 processor with 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage, with Core i5 models priced at $999 (128 GB storage, 4 GB RAM) and $1299 (256 GB storage, 8 GB RAM). High-end Core i7 models with 8 GB of RAM will be available for $1549 (256 GB storage) and $1949 (512 GB storage).
evilrob
Premium Member

20th May 14 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Its not cheap that for sure.

Yeah, fuck that.

I'll stick with my £400 Core i5 first gen one thankyouverymuch.
Rob_Quads

20th May 14 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks a really good product that is maturing well. Good features, I think the increase size helps it play into the laptop field.

I just think its a bit too much. IMO They need to be undercutting the ultra books rather than costing the same/more.

A good comparison is the $999 price point - Thats 128GB / 4GB (actually only 100GB usable)
AndyKent

20th May 14 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This was always the problem with Surface, both Pro and RT.

Original RT was £400 without any guarantee of a full app suite. Still hasn't got there entirely I don't think.

£350 with a decent physical keyboard bundled they'd have sold 10 times as many.
pow
Premium Member

20th May 14 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they costed a little less I'd be buying them for staff at work.
evilrob
Premium Member

23rd May 14 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
If they costed a little less I'd be buying them for staff at work.

Previous generation will be heavily discounted:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/list/Surface_Clearance/categoryID.67894400

Surface Pro 2 from £569 currently.

[Edited on 23-05-2014 by evilrob]
Bart

24th May 14 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not a huge step up from the surface pro 2 then looking at this?

bigger screen, longer battery life and i7 now available, but i5 still very good imo.
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Jun 14 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surface 3 is shit hot, I've had extended use of one for the last few days and it's a real laptop contender.

The new screen size / ratio is much more usable.

No i7 available yet, I've been playing with the i5 but performance is still excellent - as Bart says the i5 is more than good enough.

I didn't play with/use a Surface 2 - so not sure if this was "fixed" in that, but the magnetic battery lead is now MUCH less frustrating to use, it just pings into place much better and isn't so easily knocked out. Beats the Apple efforts easily too. (compared to my Macbook Air)

I'm really loving the Pro 3 - it's finally a device I can "sell" to my travelling users without them needing to lug a laptop around too.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
evilrob
Premium Member

17th Jun 14 at 15:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might consider one next year. Still quite happy with my boggo first gen Pro.

Just waiting for the Lumia 930 to come out at the moment.

It'll probably be an Xbone after that, now that GTA V is coming out for it - then I will finally have the 'all Microsoft' setup I'd been wanting to try all this time!

[Edited on 17-06-2014 by evilrob]
kz

18th Jun 14 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's great to hear Kyle, where did you get to use it?

Anyone sad enough to notice all the contestants on Big Brother this year are using a Surface 2 in the house for voting and shopping lists etc. lol.

Personally I prefer the smaller size, but I wasn't after a laptop replacement as such.

I still haven't got a current generation console, purely because you can't watch media from an external USB source, very frustrating and worse than the previous generation which I find strange... however regarding the Xbox One I did find out yesterday that as long as that and your Windows 8 computer is on the same Wi-Fi network you can 'send' media to it, to play on the TV. However, streaming never seems to work that well for me so it still isn't the ideal situation!

I'm looking forward to this if they ever release it...

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-surface-branded-miracast-dongle-leaks/
Rob_Quads

18th Jun 14 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz

Anyone sad enough to notice all the contestants on Big Brother this year are using a Surface 2 in the house for voting and shopping lists etc. lol.

Noticing a bit of tech being used on TV isn't sad.... Watching Big Brother certainly is
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jun 14 at 19:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Budgeted for a Surface Pro 3 in i5 guise over Summer
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Jun 14 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice. Let us know how you get on!
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Jun 14 at 01:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
That's great to hear Kyle, where did you get to use it?

There's an MS shop down the road from our office here, and they loaned me one. Ordered one for longer-term experiments.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
kz

23rd Jun 14 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looked at your location... bastard!

<<  8    9    10    11    12    13    14  >>

New Poll