corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
kz

User status: Offline
19th Feb 14 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're not sure, might as well wait for Build now see if they reveal any plans for this year! Hoping for a Surface Mini or Phone really...
evilrob
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 23:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Was recently £399 for a brand new Surface Pro from America delivered to the UK! But it only lasted about 48 hours.

As you well know, getting it shipped over and sorting the import duty is a pain in the arse.

That said, you can currently pick them up at Best Buy for $599 (£359ish) but then you'd have to buy a cover on top (the UK Surface Pro offer includes a free touch cover, but you can still buy them for £65 from the UK Microsoft Store - I wouldn't buy a US one on the cheap as then it would have a US keyboard layout):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-surface-pro-with-128gb-memory/7952262.p?id=1218862422867&skuId=7952262

Could get my mum to nip out and get one on my behalf. Might be a few months before I'm over there, though (she was just over here in January) - by which time there might be discounts available on the Pro 2. If I had to get her to ship it, I might as well just buy it here.

[Edited on 19-02-2014 by evilrob]
kz

21st Feb 14 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£399 was including delivery and import duties btw

Might be worth taking note of this if you fancied one with 4G, however it's pointless to me as I just tether...

http://www.neowin.net/news/surface-2-with-lte-passes-through-the-fcc
evilrob
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
£399 was including delivery and import duties btw

I didn't say it wasn't - I said it was a pain in the arse.

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Might be worth taking note of this if you fancied one with 4G, however it's pointless to me as I just tether...

http://www.neowin.net/news/surface-2-with-lte-passes-through-the-fcc

I also tether. I can't see any point in having a separate 4G SIM!
Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 23:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob, with my phone, is there a way to set profiles for certain times? i.e. Mute between 10pm-6am
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Feb 14 at 01:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Rob, with my phone, is there a way to set profiles for certain times? i.e. Mute between 10pm-6am

Not yet. Really boils my piss. Allegedly coming in 8.1.

There is an app called Quiet Hours which is supposed to do this but because background tasks can only run every 30 minutes, your start / end times might be +/- 30 minutes of what you actually set. Haven't tried it - might give it a whirl.

At the moment I just manually set it to silent before bed and back on in the morning by pressing the volume rocker and hitting the ring/silence icon that appears in the top right.

[Edited on 24-02-2014 by evilrob]
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Feb 14 at 07:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cheers Probs just wait for the update then. I know it's a pretty minor thing and not a big deal to mute before bed, but it's such a great phone that does everything else, it really should have the optionl lol
evilrob
Premium Member

24th Feb 14 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just found out about this app:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/nokia-tones/bf4c6a1b-34d8-4b3c-969b-4985e61d6b03

Contains about 1,000 ringtones from various Nokia phones over the years.

I've gone for the classic chiptune Nokia ringtone from 1994.

[Edited on 24-02-2014 by evilrob]
kz

3rd Mar 14 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're still thinking about the Surface Pro this was posted on HUKD today...

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/microsoft-surface-pro-64gb-touch-cover-10-voucher-439-50-6-71-quidco-microsoft-store-1841115
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Mar 14 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
If you're still thinking about the Surface Pro this was posted on HUKD today...

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/microsoft-surface-pro-64gb-touch-cover-10-voucher-439-50-6-71-quidco-microsoft-store-1841115

Be rude not to at that price wouldn't it?

Cheers for the heads up!
kz

3rd Mar 14 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also of interest to this thread is that SanDisk have finally managed to create a 128Gb micro SDXC card

http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-class10-for-android/
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Mar 14 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I've ordered a 128Gb one; the Microsoft Store is a heap of shit - they couldn't have made it any harder to buy one of their fucking products if they tried.

With the cash back, it worked out pretty much the same (£443.41) as a new Surface 2 64Gb (£439) - I think to get last year's 128Gb Surface Pro (proper Core i5 computer in tablet form) at today's 64Gb Surface 2 (hobbled tablet computer) price is a no-brainer.

A big 'fuck you' to Nokia for not getting their shit together or I'd probably have had a 2520 by now.

[Edited on 03-03-2014 by evilrob]
kz

3rd Mar 14 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one mate. Any tips just ask had mine since release day.
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Mar 14 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Nice one mate. Any tips just ask had mine since release day.

Alright - got any tips?
kz

4th Mar 14 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes don't put the rear on to a wooden surface and then polish the front, you'll end up with an annoying scratch you'll be annoyed with for months. Until you get an actual problem then have to return it for another one, which comes and looks fine apart from wondering if the original one had a slightly misaligned kickstand in the first place. You'll then probably come on a completely unrelated forum and start moaning when there's no point really.

Also, run 'control userpasswords2' so you don't have to bloody log in every time you boot up or have the Surface sleep!
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Mar 14 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got to say Microsoft Store service is gash. They've taken the money according to my online banking, but I have no order confirmation, it's not showing in my "order history" - I just received an email about 14 hours ago telling me my order is being 'processed' and have heard nothing since.

I reckon if you've taken five hundred quid out of my account, after making me jump through hoops to buy your products, you can at least send me an email to tell me when you'll be shipping my fucking goods.
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Mar 14 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blimey - went to check my cashback tracking on Quidco and there's a new offer there today - Xbox One Titanfall pack for £373.39 (£399.99 with 8% cashback on pre-VAT amount).

http://www.quidco.com/microsoft-store/

Tempting, but I don't know if I can put myself through the horror of their online store again.

[Edited on 04-03-2014 by evilrob]
kz

4th Mar 14 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I had no confirmation ever about my return, and their returns website is dire. To be fair though I always seem to get very quick delivery, and that's more important to me... usually circa three days. Actually, mine came before it's ETA if I remember correctly.
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Mar 14 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't even have a fucking ETA

Here's my Order History page:

Brilliant.

[Edited on 04-03-2014 by evilrob]
kz

5th Mar 14 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's because you're accessing it on OS X btw do you have a dual band router... because you're going to need one.
evilrob
Premium Member

5th Mar 14 at 19:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
It's because you're accessing it on OS X

Hilarious. The behaviour is the same whether using IE11 or Chrome on Windows 8.1 Pro, or Firefox on Ubuntu.
quote:
Originally posted by kz
btw do you have a dual band router... because you're going to need one.

I've no idea if my router is dual band, not something I've ever given a toss about - it's a 3rd gen Home Hub (not the cool new spaceship-looking one):

What's the deal with needing a dual band router then?
Dom

5th Mar 14 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
What's the deal with needing a dual band router then?

I'm assuming KZ is hinting at the WiFi issue, where connections drops, some Pro users have

Either way, HH3 isn't dual band; HH4/5 is however.
evilrob
Premium Member

5th Mar 14 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh. Cock.
evilrob
Premium Member

5th Mar 14 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(in the James May sense, not aimed at kz! )
kz

5th Mar 14 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately the 2.4GHz is well documented, I've had 2 Surface Pro's and they've both acted exactly the same way. Basically my results are as follows...

5GHz without Bluetooth connections: 14Mb/s
2.4GHz without Bluetooth connections: 12Mb/s

5GHz with Bluetooth connections: 14Mb/s
2.4GHz with Bluetooth connections: 0.01Mb/s

If you're not going to use anything Bluetooth then you should be all right. But seeing as though it's a portable device I'd say it's likely most people will. Basically they both run on the same band and the chip on the board contains both, they clash really badly.

I didn't actually buy a new dual band router btw, I simply bought an AirPort Express which creates a 5GHz connection from your existing 2.4Ghz only router! Pretty good really. It's worked pretty much perfect ever since. It's a shame I had to spend an extra £70 but there you go... cheapest place by far is always on Amazon btw via CamelCamelCamel.

[Edited on 05-03-2014 by kz]

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll