corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Jul 14 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So this happened today:

It comes with a wireless charging pad in the box, but for early bird buyers (i.e. until the end of the month) they're throwing in an NFC/bluetooth speakerphone thingy, and a portable wireless charging power block thingy, as well as a treasure tag and a £20 app voucher:

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/campaign-lumia-930-offer/

Got it on EE for 4G, no upfront cost, £29 a month for 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and a gig of data a month.

It's a nice bit of kit.

[Edited on 19-07-2014 by evilrob]
Brett
Premium Member

19th Jul 14 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice Cool bundle of accessories
Andrew

20th Jul 14 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Charging mat
Andrew

20th Jul 14 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the Surface Pro 3 will be on my list of purchases soon enough.
kz

20th Jul 14 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the 930 the same as the Icon? They look the same in pictures... hat colour did you get? Orange looks mint.
evilrob
Premium Member

20th Jul 14 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Played it safe and got a white one. The loud colours are cool, but it's already a pretty big phone - I don't think I'd want to draw any more attention to it!
evilrob
Premium Member

20th Jul 14 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, it's essentially an Icon.
evilrob
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had this 930 a few days now. Got to say, its fucking brilliant.

[Edited on 28-07-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

29th Jul 14 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So this lot turned up today:

Free wireless bundle for Lumia 930 purchases before 31st July:

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/campaign-lumia-930-offer/

Contains:

1 x DC-50 portable wireless charging plate
1 x MD-12 portable wireless bluetooth speaker / speakerphone accessory
1 x WS-2 treasure tag
1 x £20 Microsoft Store credit voucher

Charging plate is cool. Speaker sounds OK, not going to replace your hifi but stick it on something hollow like a chest of drawers and the bass it produces is bonkers for its size. Treasure tag is cool - you can trace its last known location, send it a ping to make a noise so you can find it if whatever you've attached it to has fallen down the back of the sofa or whatever, or set it up to make your phone go mental if you leave the house without it - I've attached it to my work pass which I frequently forget and then have to sign in at security which is at the other end of the campus, and have the shame of walking around all day with a gay 'guest' pass.

All in all, loving my 930 experience so far.

[Edited on 29-07-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

1st Aug 14 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, fuck.

Apparently HTC are releasing an M8 running Windows Phone, renamed W8.

[Edited on 02-08-2014 by evilrob]
Russ

1st Aug 14 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shit camera included?
evilrob
Premium Member

1st Aug 14 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would assume so, it's allegedly just an M8 but running Windows Phone 8.1 OS instead of Android.
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Aug 14 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do I need the latest version of Windows to fit more tiles on the screen like that?
evilrob
Premium Member

2nd Aug 14 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Do I need the latest version of Windows to fit more tiles on the screen like that?

Yeah, it's a Windows Phone 8.1 thing.

Should be arriving in the next week or two on general release.
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Aug 14 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool cheers
Toby
Premium Member

3rd Aug 14 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Send the 930 back under distance selling rules and get the HTC, job done?
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Aug 14 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, quite like my 930. People will just think I've got an M8 won't they.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

3rd Aug 14 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Missus pied her iPhone for a 1020 today. Quite impressed with it. Camera is literally something else.

Woman in the shop was absolutely convinced she will take it back during the cooling off period. Obviously the missus loves it because it's awesome.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Aug 14 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my 1020 a few months now, love it tbh
3CorsaMeal

4th Aug 14 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am due a phone update, got samsung s3 at the moment, its works fine and does all i need to do.

Not too keen on the S5, i don't need any of the fitness stuff or heart monitor, i've spent the last 15yrs not getting phones wet so don't really need a waterproof phone.

Should i get the nokia phone?
Brett
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd get something with Windows on, be it Nokia or something else. Makes a refreshing change to Android, actually feels like you've got a new phone.
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I am due a phone update, got samsung s3 at the moment, its works fine and does all i need to do [...] Should i get the nokia phone?

If you're still happy with your S3, as it "does all [you] need to do", I'd probably just get a new battery, renew my monthly tariff to six or seven quid on a SIM-only basis and stick with it until I found something I really wanted - rather than upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

That said, if you do want to have a punt on a new Nokia - which Nokia phone are you interested in?

Most people turn their nose up at Windows Phone on the basis it's not Android or iOS - it feels strange and unfamiliar at first, and does take some effort to learn how to get the best out of it. I can't tell you whether you'll like Windows Phone OS or not, but I can tell you that if you do commit to figuring out how it works, it's actually very good. The reason I like Windows Phone is because it works differently to Android and iOS; the Live Tile paradigm is genius when you get your head around it.
3CorsaMeal

4th Aug 14 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got 8.1 on my new laptop and still a bit confused by it, seems to be loads of tiles that i don't need/want. No start menu, a real arse to find my computer or control panel.
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 14:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 are two entirely different things. Bit like iOS and Mac OS X. Or Android and Chrome OS.

I wouldn't let your impressions of Windows 8.1 affect how you feel about Windows Phone.

Although I would say that Windows 8.1 has a similar learning curve - if you put the effort into learning how to work with Windows 8.1 and get things where you want, it's a very rewarding operating system once you get used to it. You do need a touchscreen to make the best of it though, really.

[Edited on 04-08-2014 by evilrob]
Scotty_B

4th Aug 14 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Got 8.1 on my new laptop and still a bit confused by it, seems to be loads of tiles that i don't need/want. No start menu, a real arse to find my computer or control panel.

Find them once and pin them as a tile.

<<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >>

New Poll