corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Feb 14 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just noticed title change

I'm gonna trade in my ipad next lol

Managed to get it activated. Called up as suggested and it happened within 30mins.

Love the phone and Windows is great, I don't see why everyone's so down on it tbh. The display with the live tiles and stuff is just awesome. Really really like the whole feel of it and it's a nice change to Android/IOS. The try before you buy in the store is wicked too. Only thing I'd say about the store, is there's a lot of junk that you sometimes have to go through to get what you're after and the reviews, although semi-useful sometimes, seem to be mostly written by iphone fanboy retards with the mental age of around 7. So far, I've not hit any obstacles compared to what I had on Android.

[Edited on 07-02-2014 by Brett]
evilrob
Premium Member

7th Feb 14 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Just noticed title change

quote:
I'm gonna trade in my ipad next lol
For a Surface 2 or a Lumia 2520? I really love the way the Lumia looks and feels, and the fact it has 4G built-in, and would love it to match the phone, but I've got to say I am leaning more in favour of a Surface now. I'm getting impatient with Nokia.

quote:
Managed to get it activated. Called up as suggested and it happened within 30mins.

quote:
Love the phone and Windows is great, I don't see why everyone's so down on it tbh. The display with the live tiles and stuff is just awesome. Really really like the whole feel of it and it's a nice change to Android/IOS. The try before you buy in the store is wicked too. Only thing I'd say about the store, is there's a lot of junk that you sometimes have to go through to get what you're after and the reviews, although semi-useful sometimes, seem to be mostly written by iphone fanboy retards with the mental age of around 7. So far, I've not hit any obstacles compared to what I had on Android.
My experience pretty much echoes yours - generally pleasantly surprised, and can't understand why it isn't more popular. (although Windows Phone has doubled its market share in the past year so I guess people are catching on).

I agree it is nice that you can try before you buy on pretty much all apps, and also that it is a pain in the arse to find stuff in the store; I prefer to use http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store and search on there, then push the apps to my phone from the website (you need to be logged in with your Microsoft account obviously).

Have you used the Nokia bluetooth contacts transfer thingy? I seem to remember it pulled all my stuff off the iPhone first time, spot on:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/transfer-my-data/dc08943b-7b3d-4ee5-aa3c-30f1a826af02

[Edited on 07-02-2014 by evilrob]
Brett
Premium Member

7th Feb 14 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh as soon as I logged into my google account all my contacts sync'd anyway since I was on Android before. The transition has been an entirely painless experience.
evilrob
Premium Member

7th Feb 14 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah - nice! I didn't do this as I binned off Gmail to switch to Outlook.com as part of my "all-Microsoft" experiment.

I don't miss Gmail at all; quite like Outlook.com actually.
kz

8th Feb 14 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Surface 2 is currently on eBay, very nice product though.

Looking forward to Build and hoping they reveal a Surface Mini and/or Phone!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My windows phone is brilliant.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
evilrob
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What have you got, Phil?

edit: Oh, I remember now - a Lumia 620:
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=662185

Nice!

[Edited on 09-02-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
My Surface 2 is currently on eBay

Link?
Brett
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The maps pisses on googles effort
kz

10th Feb 14 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
quote:
Originally posted by kz
My Surface 2 is currently on eBay

Link?

Sorry mate it's sold now. Got £336 for it, £25 for the Skype voucher and £13 for the SkyDrive voucher lol more than it's all worth in the shops. I know there's fees etc. but gotta love eBay sometimes...
oceansoul

17th Feb 14 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been reading this thread again, and VegasPhil's thread about the 620 and im starting to think about changing (back) to Nokia.
Can those with a Win Phone 8 device check their app store for the Juniper Networks VPN client called Junos Pulse. Its avaliable on iOS and Android. I use it alot for work.
I'm sure there are also Remote Desktop clients avaliable too, i use RDP lots.
Also can you have a look for ServiioGo? Thats a specific mobile client to access the Serviio DLNA server.

Many Thanks =]

[Edited on 17-02-2014 by oceansoul]
Brett
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing under Juniper or Junos

On another note, I'd never heard of Juniper, funny someone on here would mention it. One of the directors is my wife's mums fella
evilrob
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*** IGNORE THIS POST - IT IS HORSE SHIT ***

It's not on the Windows Phone store, but it is downloadable direct from the Juniper website:
http://www.juniper.net/support/products/pulse/mobile/3.0/#sw

http://www.good.com?[url] onmousemove=javascript:alert(String.fromCharCode(88,83,83));" target="_blank"> onmousemove=javascript:alert(String.fromCharCode(88,83,83));" target="_blank">http://www.good.com?[url] onmousemove=javascript:alert(String.fromCharCode(88,83,83));

[Edited on 24-02-2014 by evilrob]
Brett
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob is the WP god tbh
evilrob
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Serviio website with Windows Phone apps:
http://serviio.org/apps
Dom

17th Feb 14 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It's not on the Windows Phone store, but it is downloadable direct from the Juniper website:
http://www.juniper.net/support/products/pulse/mobile/3.0/#sw

It's for Windows Mobile rather than Windows Phone 7/8.
evilrob
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucksocks, so it is.
evilrob
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not having any luck finding any evidence of Juniper support on Windows Phone 8. Although, apparently Windows Phone 8.1 due later in the year will have some level of VPN support baked-in, which may or may not be of use:
http://www.zdnet.com/windows-phone-8-1-the-latest-on-whats-on-the-leaked-feature-list-7000026208/

Otherwise it looks like lack of Junos Pulse app could well be a deal breaker for you.

Here's a well-reviewed RDP app:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/remotedesktop/e2af408b-555a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e
evilrob
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyhow - it's about time I bought a new Microsoft gadget.

What should it be? Surface RT, Surface 2, Original Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, Xbox 360 or Xbox One?

Help me out here will you?

I've currently got a semi over the fact you can pick up the original Surface Pro for £479 direct from Microsoft at the moment, which is quite tempting.
Brett
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surface of some kind. Buy one and if it's decent I'll follow.
oceansoul

18th Feb 14 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for looking guys. I remember when I was considering a surface a while back and it not supporting juniper VPN, although they were talking of implementing it in the future.

I guess I'll wait a while. Still got a few months left of my current phone/contract anyway
kz

19th Feb 14 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Anyhow - it's about time I bought a new Microsoft gadget.

What should it be? Surface RT, Surface 2, Original Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, Xbox 360 or Xbox One?

Help me out here will you?

I've currently got a semi over the fact you can pick up the original Surface Pro for £479 direct from Microsoft at the moment, which is quite tempting.

Was recently £399 for a brand new Surface Pro from America delivered to the UK! But it only lasted about 48 hours.
Brett
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Want http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/02/19/never-lose-valuables-nokia-treasure-tag/
evilrob
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ ditto, cool idea.
evilrob
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Surface of some kind. Buy one and if it's decent I'll follow.

Good call. I've ruled out the RT - it's cheap at £279 but not cheap enough for me to be able to live with the compromises (slower, low-res screen). I've also ruled out the Pro 2 - bit more than I was looking to spend really, starting at £719 (and you'd have to get at least the 128Gb model wouldn't you as the OS alone would take up over half of the 64Gb drive, which costs £799).

Comes down to Surface 2 64Gb with Type 2 cover (£549 all in) or Surface Pro 128Gb with free Touch cover (£539 all in).

OR... wait for Surface 3 and try to pick up a Surface Pro 2 on the cheap in a few months time. Maybe tide myself over with some sort of Xbox in the meantime... hmm... Thing is, I have a perfectly good laptop computer, but 0 games consoles*.

edit: * this is not true actually - I have a Wii U for the sole purpose of playing Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros. U (just as well, really, as there's fuck all else available for it.) I've played and maxed out every Mario since the original, except Mario Sunshine on the Gamecube which really didn't do it for me and I couldn't be arsed to finish it.

edit 2: actually, I have an original Wii knocking about somewhere as well for New Super Mario Brothers (Wii), Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and again, pretty much nothing else.

[Edited on 20-02-2014 by evilrob]

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll