corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Cheap smartphones - Ordered a Nokia Lumia 620

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cheap smartphones - Ordered a Nokia Lumia 620
VegasPhil
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jan 14 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Due to increased amounts of being dragged into town on a Saturday by the missus, I decided I wanted a cheap smartphone to keep tabs on the football scores and make a few calls/texts each day through the week. I have a landline and iPad I use most of the time, so don't want this to be a big bill.

Was dead impressed with the Windows phones in the shops so decided to go for the Lumia 620. Amazing value compared to iPhones etc I thought as it comes in at £14 a month. Reviews seem positive online except some criticism of their App Store. I checked online and the 4-5 main apps I want are listed so happy days.

Does any one have a Nokia Lumia? Any thoughts?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
AndyKent

12th Jan 14 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an 820, had it 9 months now, really happy with it. Enough apps to keep most happy, works smoothly all the time, very few crashes to speak of.

Bargainous!
Jimbothebarbarian

12th Jan 14 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 610, cheap as chips, has all the shit I need. Bought it outright and have an £8 a month sim only deal. Well pleased with it. Gone from a £30+ a month contract to a cheaper better deal.

Of course I am unable to brag about having the latest iPhone 8 or Samsung galaxy 12, but for me, it's a good little phone.
evilrob
Premium Member

12th Jan 14 at 23:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently switched from an iPhone 5 to a Nokia Lumia 920 - as far as I'm concerned it's the best phone I've ever had.

Two must-have apps are:

Insider (lets you pin shortcuts to system settings like Bluetooth, GPS etc on your home screen, and also a tile showing battery % / time left):
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/insider/d9b7989e-1592-4f25-a556-4755c06bf2e9

Metrotube (amazing Youtube client that lets you download videos for offline viewing):
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/metrotube/8d93224f-2808-e011-9264-00237de2db9e

Let me know if you want to know anything else. There's a lot more info in the thread I linked to in the first sentence of this post.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

12th Jan 14 at 23:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brilliant. Just what I wanted to hear.

I switched my iphone to the iPad a while back, which is much better for my use. If it he Nokia is as good as the reviews I think I'll be pretty chuffed with it.

evilrob
Premium Member

13th Jan 14 at 01:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah - you can chill. You've done a good thing here.
A2H GO

13th Jan 14 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to see windows phone do well this year and I've a feeling it will. People are bored of iOS even with its re-design and Android's been stale for a while (stuck at 4. for over 2 years and KitKat brings more of the same).

At the same time, people no longer need all this UI that represents real world objects to feel comfortable (hence Apple ditching it all) and in this respect over the past couple of years windows phone was perhaps too far ahead of its time design wise and too far behind with everything else. That said, this year might see the OS finally meet in the middle.

[Edited on 13-01-2014 by A2H GO]
Dom

13th Jan 14 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phil, WP8 is brilliant so you won't have issues there.

What tariff did you get for £14 p/m?

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
....stuck at 4. for over 2 years....

Not to derail this thread but can you expand on this?

It'd make no difference if KitKat was given 5.0 as there is little logic in versioing - there's nothing stopping developers using minor revision version numbers to denote complete overhauls and visa versa with major version numbers (just look at iOS - little changed between 3.0-6.* and that's 3/4 years, longer if you take in to account UI).
A2H GO

13th Jan 14 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree about the point notations, just seems Google have been focusing on sorting out fragmentation for so long (and quite rightly so) that the OS has gone a bit stale. I haven't see anything particularly exciting from them with regards to android in a while.

Obviously my opinion counts for nothing anyways as I'm an apple fanboy and all that.
dannymccann

13th Jan 14 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My next phone is going to be a Windows one, been on Android since the HTC Desire and while my Nexus is good value for money I fancy a change.

Been looking at the 620's but refuse to replace a phone that is perfectly working and costing me £10 every couple of months in usage (low user and I consume a lot of content on WiFi).

Also looking to get a Win8 tablet at some point and have everything working together
John

13th Jan 14 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4.3 was made to run much faster on even older devices. That's a pretty big change, one that apple certainly aren't interested in.
A2H GO

13th Jan 14 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The difference is those 'older devices' are 50% of Googles userbase and around 3% of Apples.

I think the work Google are doing will pay off when users start to see the benefits of all the decoupling, I just get the feeling since they started it in 2012, Android has become as boring as iOS, hence I think Windows phone will do well this year.

[Edited on 13-01-2014 by A2H GO]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

13th Jan 14 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Phil, WP8 is brilliant so you won't have issues there.

What tariff did you get for £14 p/m?

Tariff was something 100 minutes unlimited text and 250mb of data on O2 with a free handset. I expect others would want more but I only use my mobile a few times a week nowadays anyway, so it will be enough for me.

Dom

13th Jan 14 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Tariff was something 100 minutes unlimited text and 250mb of data on O2 with a free handset. I expect others would want more but I only use my mobile a few times a week nowadays anyway, so it will be enough for me.

It might be worth looking around as the phone is £125 (Phone4U; or £150 on Amazon) sim-free and if you're not a heavy user you could opt for a GiffGaff or Ovivo (£20 up front, free there after - READ HERE) tariff.

Either way, it's a decent phone
N16K

14th Jan 14 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a Samsung Galaxy S3 free phone on Orange (24 Months)
500 mins
Unlimited Texts
250 mb data

£11.99 a month, no longer see the need for an iPhone.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

14th Jan 14 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got it. Very pleased. Good quality phone and love the WP8 and live tiles! Seems like an absolute bargain compared to extortionate iPhone contracts I've had previously.

One slight fuck up though. I added my old hotmail account so I could download apps and it dragged in all my old shit from MSN messenger back in the day lol. I set up a brand new outlook account and an using that now.

dannymccann

15th Jan 14 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the real world battery life like Phil? My Nexus 4, with low to medium usage realistically needs charging every night, although I have it on a NFC charger at work so it isnt too much of a pain
VegasPhil
Premium Member

15th Jan 14 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I will get two days out of it. I charged it yesterday and it still has half left. It has this nifty battery saver shit you can set up to come on that kicks in when it gets to a certain level.

VegasPhil
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It lasted a month. In a freak accident I managed to shut it the car door.

Awaiting insurance repair lol.

evilrob
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doh!

New Poll