corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Sep 13 at 00:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bored of Apple. Recently deleted all my iPhone apps, and only reinstalling the ones I actually use. Net result: it turns out I don't actually need any apps. I also want to buy a console purely to play GTA V. I will be keeping my Macbook as a main computer - but will try to do most stuff in Windows 8 (at least for a while - I have too many OS X-only tools I do actually use every day).

Requirements in order of importance:

Phone: Calls/texts, decent camera, light email/web browsing, music/radio, Sat Nav, need to be able to stream to telly/speakers
Tablet: Intermediate e-mail/web browsing, films, light work (code edits), music, need to be able to stream to telly
Console: GTA V

With that in mind, I'm thinking of swapping the following:

iPhone 5 with TomTom app and retro cable-based charging
iPad 3 (has actually been sat in a box waiting to go on eBay for months)
Apple TV
Spotify subscription
iTunes for movie purchasing / rental
Gmail for email

For:

Nokia Luma 920 Windows Phone with Nokia Drive SatNav and wireless charging pad (because despite the 925 supposedly having a better camera, I prefer the pictures the 920 produces with the latest software update, I'd choose the wireless charging, extra storage and cheaper price over the thinness/metalness/expensiveness of the 925 and can't be bothered to wait for the 1020)
Surface RT 32gb with Type keyboard cover and Wedge mouse
Xbox 360 (mostly for GTA V but also to act as a conduit for content streamed from Windows phone/tablet to telly)
Xbox Music Subscription
Xbox Video
Outlook.com for email

Anyone else got the full monty Microsoft ecosystem experience?

How are the Xbox Music / Video stores to live with? Decent selection of content? Reasonably priced? Reliably delivered?
How easy/reliable is it to stream stuff from Windows 8 / Windows Phone / Surface to the telly via Xbox Glass? (i.e. replicate iPhone/iPad to Apple TV via AirPlay; I don't have a DNLA-enabled telly)
What's Outlook.com like to live with?

My main concern is that while at face value the Microsoft ecosystem should allow me to do my internets and consume content nicely, it will just all be a bit, well, Microsoft and do irritating things like not work reliably, properly or crash on an intolerably frequent basis.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with my current all-Apple setup at all, I just fancy a change.

[Edited on 07-10-2013 by evilrob]

[Edited on 16-10-2013 by evilrob]

[Edited on 06-11-2013 by evilrob]

[Edited on 06-02-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 17-02-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 03-03-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 04-03-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 09-03-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 20-03-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 14-04-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 19-07-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 29-07-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 01-08-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 05-08-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 06-08-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 07-08-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 11-09-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 19-09-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 30-09-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 20-11-2014 by evilrob]

[Edited on 21-01-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 21-01-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 23-01-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 14-03-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 17-03-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 18-03-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 01-04-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 29-04-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 11-05-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 20-05-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 06-10-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 13-11-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 16-11-2015 by evilrob]

[Edited on 05-02-2016 by evilrob]

[Edited on 07-02-2016 by evilrob]

[Edited on 27-07-2016 by evilrob]

[Edited on 28-07-2016 by evilrob]

[Edited on 04-05-2017 by evilrob]
Wrighty

10th Sep 13 at 03:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not broke dont fix it...sounds like you wanna do it just for the sake of it. and your considering an old console when next gens just around the corner?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phone: Nexus 4 (now reduced)
Tablet: Nexus tablet
Console: old PS3
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
your considering an old console when next gens just around the corner?

I'm not bothered about having the latest and greatest; I just want to play GTA V ASAP!
willay
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 08:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or get a old PS3 with a firmware older then 3.55 and put a custom firmware on it to play 'backups'
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
not broke dont fix it...sounds like you wanna do it just for the sake of it.

I'm thinking of doing it so I can document the transition from all-Apple to all-Microsoft for the benefit of other people who might be curious about doing something similar. Microsoft are doing a good job lately and aren't nearly as successful as they should be in the phone/tablet market because people don't typically understand the Microsoft ecosystem (myself included, largely).

I can find individual reviews of people swapping their iPhone for a Lumia for a month, or going from PS3 to Xbox or whatever - I can't find any information on doing the full Microsoft monty as I reckon the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts.
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 08:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Phone: Nexus 4 (now reduced)
Tablet: Nexus tablet
Console: old PS3

Nah, Google can do one. And if I'm going to do this, it'll be all Microsoft or not at all.
willay
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why?
Brett
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
or get a old PS3 with a firmware older then 3.55 and put a custom firmware on it to play 'backups'

Can you still go online?
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob, my old man did similar a few months ago although he wasn't quite so heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem.

He's a developer by trade but also a hobbyist with regards to writing apps and stuff like that, so his decision was based largely on that - he just preferred the Windows OS between the desktop, tablet and phone platforms.

He swapped his iPhone for a Lumia 920, bought a Surface Pro tablet which is an incredible piece of kit to be fair. It's not an iPad alternative, it's a high powered laptop alternative which can be used for gaming etc when plugged into the power and has an xbox pad plugged in, but pop the screen off and it's a meeting/powerpoint tablet type thing.

He's happy so far, but doubted his decision a few times over the last few months due to struggling sales figures for the RT tablets and stuff like that.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one, Kyle - thanks for your input.

I must admit it is also a concern of mine that Microsoft bin off one or more parts of their ecosystem because it's not making enough money like they did with Zune for example. Although I think the fact they've bought Nokia suggests they're playing the long game in the mobile market.

In an ideal world I'd throw down the readies for a Surface Pro - but if I'm going to be getting a Windows Phone, Windows tablet and Xbox, the budget only stretches to the RT - and really, I don't need the power of a full PC in tablet form - the RT will do what I want to do with it just fine (in theory).
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the use of a Surface RT through work, and it's alright I guess - but I'd probably still use an iPad or an Android tablet if the three were layed out in front of me due to the greater app library.

Being able to flick into desktop mode when sat at a desk with a keyboard/mouse is what makes Windows 8 for me, and the desktop mode is pretty much redundant on an RT surface as you can only install/use "Apps" as far as I'm aware.

If you're after a facebook/CS machine though - an RT surface will be a fine iPad substitute.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
willay
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:

Can you still go online?

You can I think, but I haven't tested. I literally put some custom firmware on the other day and played my backup of Saints Row 3, worked flawlessly
A2H GO

10th Sep 13 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
quote:

I'm thinking of doing it so I can document the transition from all-Apple to all-Microsoft for the benefit of other people who might be curious about doing something similar.

You're going to ditch a load of perfectly good Apple stuff to buy a load of crappy Microsoft stuff so you can write about how poor that decision was in the hope to prevent others from following suit?

Lumias and Surface tablet's haven't sold poorly because people don't understand them, they haven't sold because they aren't very good.

[Edited on 10-09-2013 by A2H GO]
pow
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just swap your laptop for a Win8 tablet.
Dave

10th Sep 13 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
quote:

I'm thinking of doing it so I can document the transition from all-Apple to all-Microsoft for the benefit of other people who might be curious about doing something similar.

You're going to ditch a load of perfectly good Apple stuff to buy a load of crappy Microsoft stuff so you can write about how poor that decision was in the hope to prevent others from following suit?

Lumias and Surface tablet's haven't sold poorly because people don't understand them, they haven't sold because they aren't very good.

/Dom bait.
John

10th Sep 13 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surface hasn't sold because it's misunderstood. MS completely messed up launch as usual.

I want a new gen macbook pro retina 13" but if the M3800 comes out before that I might just get that instead.
Brett
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:

Can you still go online?

You can I think, but I haven't tested. I literally put some custom firmware on the other day and played my backup of Saints Row 3, worked flawlessly

Surprising, can't on xbox. Bit lax on Sony's part if not.
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 11:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Neither of us can say for sure what the outcome would be. It may well be that I end up preferring an all-Microsoft environment.

quote:

I don't disagree with you, I just don't think anyone's been mental enough to do a full switch in the name of science. I reckon it'd be alright, maybe even quite good - but I won't know until I actually 'live' it.

I can't find any documented evidence of what it's like to use an all-Microsoft setup. There are many reviews comparing this Windows Phone to that not-Windows-Phone, or this Windows tablet to that tablet etc. - but nothing covering the whole Microsoft experience holistically.
A2H GO

10th Sep 13 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Surface hasn't sold because it's misunderstood. MS completely messed up launch as usual.

The Lumia hasn't sold as well as exepcted because it's too big/heavy for european markets (and let's be honest, didn't go android and so has a major lack of content/apps).

The Surface hasnt sold well because if people want do to laptop stuff they buy a laptop, if they want to to tablet stuff they buy an iPad, there's only a small market for people who want to do laptop stuff on a tablet.

ed

10th Sep 13 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a gay thread.

Why ditch perfectly good things, just to buy the same things over albeit with a different logo on the front. And buying things based on the name on the front of them over their merits is a bit bizarre too.
John

10th Sep 13 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Lumia has no chance. The Surface was/is a good idea, just badly marketed. I've said it loads but MS are terrible at launching anything, office 365 is a big annoyance for me right now.
John

10th Sep 13 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I don't disagree with you, I just don't think anyone's been mental enough to do a full switch in the name of science. I reckon it'd be alright, maybe even quite good - but I won't know until I actually 'live' it.

I can't find any documented evidence of what it's like to use an all-Microsoft setup. There are many reviews comparing this Windows Phone to that not-Windows-Phone, or this Windows tablet to that tablet etc. - but nothing covering the whole Microsoft experience holistically.

This is a bit gay as Ed said.
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 12:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Why ditch perfectly good things, just to buy the same things over albeit with a different logo on the front. And buying things based on the name on the front of them over their merits is a bit bizarre too.

What I want to do is a) try something new and b) see how the Microsoft ecosystem compares to the Apple ecosystem for everyday content consumption. Given that I have an all-Apple setup at the moment, it would be unfair to not replace each component with the Microsoft equivalent.

What makes Apple so good (in my opinion) is the way everything plays nice together. At face value, Microsoft are there or thereabouts with regards web/film/music content consumption and interconnectedness. They're way behind with apps, but as stated at the start, that's not a concern for me.

Everyone has their preferred platforms - but very rarely do I see people singing the praises of one platform over another who have actually owned and lived with both. Microsoft get a bad rap which I don't think it's entirely deserved; I'm curious to find out if it's justified or not.
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
...so has a major lack of content/apps.

Most over used WP negative by people that know little about the platform. Fact is, majority of people use a dozen apps, if that, at most and in a lot of cases there are perfectly good alternatives for WP.

Rob - If you fancy a change then do it. Although my issue is that no ecosystem is perfect - Microsoft's isn't and neither is Apple's. You're better off mixing and matching providers to get the best experience.

[Edited on 10-09-2013 by Dom]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll