corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Sep 13 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Xbox Music isn't shit, apparently:
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/xbox-music-vs-spotify-music-streaming-services-compared-1109009

Roughly double the number of tracks (30 million) available on Spotify, free to use from Windows 8 or RT, or £8.99 a month to remove ads or use on your Windows Mobile phone.

Does anyone on here actually use it?
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
I still disagree with you on this and I believe I've made the following arguments before.

<snip>

Transport for London has a mobile site for the underground that allows you to plan routes, look up times, view alerts and maps and it's pretty decent.
Most banks, again, offer mobile sites and they work perfectly well - i have to use my banks mobile site because my Android phone is rooted.
And again, most events have information available on websites.

All those examples, minus gaming and books, are perfect examples of creating a solution to a problem that didn't really exist in the first place. And these 'apps' tend to offer very little (and generally poorly implemented), in terms of functionality, outside of what can be achieved with a website and are usually developed for the sake of having one.

It reminds me of the conversations i have weekly with clients about developing a mobile 'app' for them and it boils down to - "because XYZ has one"
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Online
10th Sep 13 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to agree with Dom on that. The majority of available apps as described in Balling's post are just a website with less functionality, and probably more bugs.

I HATE every other forum at the moment prompting me to use their app when I use my phone to access it every time. All of the apps suck ass, getting sidetracked but so do mobile sites nowadays... mobile screen/touch/browsers have evolved brilliantly so full sites are sufficient on my phone, tyvm.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 17:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with both of you guys on that - as set out in the first post, I deleted all my apps, with the intention of reinstalling ones I genuinely missed. I've yet to reinstall anything.
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, have you started eBaying your Apple gear yet?
Marc

10th Sep 13 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This must be the biggest trolling post of the year. I predict a Dr Pepper style back tracking saying he was on the wind up.
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No trolling here, fella.

I am genuinely surprised by the general "meh" response to Microsoft's product set.

I thought there would at least be more people who actually own / use this stuff to give an opinion - even if it turned out to be a negative opinion. It's largely been "Stick with Apple or go Android"

It furthers my belief that Microsoft stuff isn't as bad as people make out, it's just that no-one has gotten past the "it's not Apple or Android" issue to really make an effort to understand what's actually being offered.

[Edited on 10-09-2013 by evilrob]
A2H GO

10th Sep 13 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
I still disagree with you on this and I believe I've made the following arguments before.

<snip>

Most banks, again, offer mobile sites and they work perfectly well

Natwest don't yet their app is incredible, nothing like a mobile site.

There are very few occasions where a mobile site is more appropriate than a native app and it's definitely not an alternative, more of a work around IMO.
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone here used Xbox Music or Video?

Has anyone here got more than one Microsoft product who can comment on how well they play together?

I'm trying to ascertain real world user experience from people who own and use these devices. There's only been Kyle T so far, who has a Surface RT he got through work and whose Dad has a Lumia 920.

I can't believe no-one has offered any real insight into what these devices are like to live with, apart from pointing out there isn't much in the way of apps (which I've already stated is not a concern for me), or just labelling them "crap" despite having never owned one.

I want to know about tangible real-world benefits - like the Lumia 920's apparently awesome low light camera with hardware lens stabilisation and physical shutter button, which should make it easier to take good photos in a variety of situations. Or real-world issues - like poor battery life or stuff not syncing properly between devices (if those are issues - I just made these up, I don't know what the battery life or syncing is like).
A2H GO

10th Sep 13 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Head over to a windows forum, you'll only find Apple / Android fanboys here.
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you may well have hit the nail on the head there.
John

10th Sep 13 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got loads of lumia something or others out in the field and don't hear much about them, which means they work. Easy to set up exchange accounts (I know iPhone and Android are also easy but users can be especially stupid).
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've got loads of lumia something or others out in the field and don't hear much about them, which means they work. Easy to set up exchange accounts (I know iPhone and Android are also easy but users can be especially stupid).

Thank you, John!
Balling
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Most banks, again, offer mobile sites and they work perfectly well - i have to use my banks mobile site because my Android phone is rooted.
And again, most events have information available on websites.

All those examples, minus gaming and books, are perfect examples of creating a solution to a problem that didn't really exist in the first place. And these 'apps' tend to offer very little (and generally poorly implemented), in terms of functionality, outside of what can be achieved with a website and are usually developed for the sake of having one.
I can't say that what you're describing is my experience.

My banking app is fantastic and intuitive to a degree that a mobile site will never reach.
When I need to find out what time I can take a bus, I pull out my phone, open an app and it immediately knows where I am and which bus leaves when and where to. I can't do this in a browser.

I'm not saying here that all apps available on the app store are of a high quality or offer something better than the equivalent website, I'm just saying that when they are or do, they will be available on App Store.

If you've not had much luck with apps, fair enough, but the argument still holds. There are more "good" apps available to iOS and Android than WP.

It might be a personal preference thing, but that doesn't make it untrue.

pow
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think andriod and iOS are on a par now for sure
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Head over to a windows forum, you'll only find Apple / Android fanboys here.

I've gotta tell you - having done some reading and looking for answers, there's a lot of love for Microsoft on windows-y forums.

I think I might actually do this!
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's some good threads on OcUK within the Mobile sub forum - you get everyone jumping offering their two pennies worth.
Marc

11th Sep 13 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

What sort of field? Sales men?

Do Windows phones have their own integrated messaging system a la iOS and BBM?
John

11th Sep 13 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, various users from high level consultants to support workers.
The reason they have Lumia's to begin with is because of a good salesman though.
Dom

11th Sep 13 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Do Windows phones have their own integrated messaging system a la iOS and BBM?

Yeah, email or Lync like every other enterprise
evilrob
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I was pretty fired up to make the switch, then Microsoft went and did this:

Wait... is that meant to be... Steve Jobs!? Oh wow...

iphone new parody A fly on the wall in Cupertino - YouTube (this is a mirror - the original videos on the windowsphone YouTube channel were pulled after the internet said "no")

Article about it:
Microsoft tries (and fails) to make fun of the new iPhones | TechHive

[Edited on 13-09-2013 by evilrob]
Balling
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
Wait... is that meant to be... Steve Jobs!?
Pretty sure it's meant to be Tim Cook. Guy in the video even calls him 'T'.

Pretty poor attempt at humour, but can't see how it affects your decision.

Dom

13th Sep 13 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Granted it wasn't particularly funny but tbf they're all at it (Nokia and Android KitKat), so it's nothing new.

Either way, the 1020 is out on the 25th

[Edited on 13-09-2013 by Dom]
evilrob
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
Wait... is that meant to be... Steve Jobs!?
Pretty sure it's meant to be Tim Cook. Guy in the video even calls him 'T'.

Pretty poor attempt at humour, but can't see how it affects your decision.

Tim Cook wears glasses and has more hair, which is lighter, and doesn't have a chemo-patient thin neck for a start.

It affects my decision because it's difficult to support Microsoft when they do stupid things like this! They're their own worst enemy sometimes.

[Edited on 13-09-2013 by evilrob]
Dom

13th Sep 13 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, it sounds like you weren't particularly interested in making the switch if a YouTube video has put you off. If i worried about the parody adverts each manufacturer through out on TV, i'd be sitting here with nothing

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll