corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
AndyKent

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 13 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh wait I see it.....
Rob_Quads

23rd Sep 13 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A month before they are released. I wonder how quick apple can get the new iPad out after the announcement to compete
A2H GO

24th Sep 13 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be out before most people get their iPhone 5S's they ordered, and it won't be to compete, it was coming regardless of what Microsoft are doing.
evilrob
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And so it begins...

Nokia Lumia 920 in White ordered from Tesco for a bargainous £230:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/sim-free-unlocked-nokia-lumia-920-white/712-3151.prd?skuId=712-3151

A Nokia DT-900 Wireless Charging Plate for electric toothbrush-style no-need-to-plug-anything-into-the-phone charging:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009WKGN9G/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

A few official Nokia CC-1043 "back and sides" skins in various colours:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nokia+cc-1043&sprefix=nokia+cc-10%2Caps%2C187

And a cheap "total coverage" neoprene sleeve:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009AT78RU/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

I also bought a LAYEN i-DOCK dock-to-bluetooth-3.0 adaptor to replicate the AirPlay functionality I currently enjoy:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CMBKR58/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Should all be here on Friday - I'll let you know first impressions etc. then next month will be time to get a Surface 2.

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by evilrob]
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 06:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A practical question.

With a phone the size of a TI-83 and a neoprene sleeve that looks about three sizes too big, where are you planning to store your phone when on the go?

evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty sure it's not the size of a TI83 - I might actually have a graphing calculator knocking about from my statistics days. I'll try and dig it out for some side by side photos!

I've been led to believe it's a perfectly pocketable combination, with the added bonus of lessening the appearance of ad hoc boners.
Dom

3rd Oct 13 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
A practical question.

With a phone the size of a TI-83 and a neoprene sleeve that looks about three sizes too big, where are you planning to store your phone when on the go?

Balling
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
http://i.qkme.me/3r9oy9.jpg
Are we playing 'state the obvious'?

Dom

3rd Oct 13 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
http://i.qkme.me/3r9oy9.jpg
Are we playing 'state the obvious'?

Yes, thought it was quite fitting to your game off 'I'm being a cunt'
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VrsTurbo
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have that Nokia as well as my 5. Its bigger feels more solid. but i dont know i just dont get on with it.
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
i have that Nokia as well as my 5. Its bigger feels more solid. but i dont know i just dont get on with it.

What don't you get on with, old chap?
AndyKent

3rd Oct 13 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did I already say I have a Lumia 820?

I really like it. Few niggles with apps not being updated properly (whatsapp has random error messages on occassion) but generally silky smooth and nice to use.

Impressed. Wish more people would get on board with it
Nismo

3rd Oct 13 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

borrowed a 620 from work for a few days as my iphone died, i like the general look of the os, but couldnt live with it on a daily basis.
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Impressed. Wish more people would get on board with it

That's my feeling on WP. I think it's a cracking OS, but the apps are still lacking and so I'll stick with Android but I'll keep a close eye on Windows over the next year or so.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AndyKent

4th Oct 13 at 05:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't miss the apps. Yes the store is short but other than certain branded things (amazon!) you can find a version of what you want.

i have maybe 15 apps on this phone and its plenty.

i like that Facebook is here but not irritatingly look at me, look at me as well, nice touch.
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's here!

First impressions:

• Looks and feels lovely
  • Not as heavy as the reviews made it sound - it is about 50% heavier than my iPhone 5 but I quite like that; I was disappointed when I moved from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 at how light the 5 was - heavier feels more premium in my opinion. I also won't have the "shitwheresmyphone" panic with the 920!
  • Not as big as the reviews made it sound - I like the bigger screen a lot
  • Screen, while not "retina"/1080P is beautiful - resolution is more than adequate, viewing angles excellent, colours are lovely
  • OS is *really* slick and responsive
  • Setup was a piece of piss - all connected up to SkyDrive, Outlook e-mail, Twitter, Facebook etc in minutes

So far - very positive.
Dom

4th Oct 13 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

evilrob
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting my tiles in order!
Brett
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fancy one, looks nice. Just worried about what apps are available as I've not had any experience of one.
AndyKent

5th Oct 13 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Post up a list of what you use regularly and would want to keep, between us I'm sure we can check what's available
Dom

5th Oct 13 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob - Are you running the latest GDR2/Amber update? Suppose to add a load of performance tweaks and features like FM radio, etc
How are you finding it so far? Any issues or annoyances coming from Apple?

Brett - Do a Google around 'Windows Phone app alternatives' and you find a load of articles on alternatives to popular apps. And it's worth looking at http://www.wpcentral.com/apps for reviews and update info on WP apps.
Tbh, you'll find alternatives to most apps with the exception of niche apps or games.
evilrob
Premium Member

5th Oct 13 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Rob - Are you running the latest GDR2/Amber update? Suppose to add a load of performance tweaks and features like FM radio, etc
How are you finding it so far? Any issues or annoyances coming from Apple?

Yes - Firmware 3047.0000.1326.2007 / OS 8.0.10328.78.

Annoyances so far:
  • One volume setting applies to everything - I will miss the "Do Not Disturb" physical switch of the iPhone 5 to silence all notifications (calls, texts, emails etc). Also, if you're listening to music quietly, for instance - and don't remember to crank the volume back up before bed, the alarm will sound at the same volume you were playing your music at. Alternatively, if you crank your volume up for alarm purposes, if anyone rings you or you get a notification at stupid o'clock, you'll know about it! (Unless you manually go into settings and silence those notifications manually, or leave your notification settings alone and simply put the phone in Airplane Mode to prevent notifications from occurring in the first place).
  • YouTube app is borked (can't really blame MS for this) - a shortcut to the website works fine, though so no biggie.
  • Facebook app (latest version 5.1) is pants - but the built-in People hub satisfies most of my Facebook requirements (of just having a peek to see what people are talking about recently) nicely. Laggy as fuck and can't opt out of Chat. Again, visiting the actual website is the better option.
  • No way to close individual apps - you can repeatedly hit the back button to shut down everything that's running, or hold down the back button to see what's running but you can't choose a specific app to shut.
  • No built-in way of having battery percentage shown anywhere either in the status bar at the top, on a live tile or on the lock screen. There are bonky third-party apps, but they can only update every 30 minutes (WP8 limitation) so not massively useful.
  • No way of choosing which people you want to see updates from on the People hub - you can choose to get everything from all your Facebook/Twitter connections, or none at all. I'd like to be able to select a handful of people I actually want to be kept up to date with and filter out some of the noise.

• Live Tiles - much more useful than static icons, although they can only update every 30 minutes; I imagine this is for battery conservation reasons. Realistically, half-hourly 'pull' updates is adequate for everything except battery which really needs to be realtime. 'Push' updates are instantaneous obviously (e-mail, for example).
  • OneNote is all kinds of awesome if you like to get stuff out of your head and into a digital notebook of some sort, which is then accessible from anything with an internet connection.
  • SkyDrive is genuinely brilliant; although I wish you could link directly to photos for embedding in forums rather than having to link through to the SkyDrive site or via a bonky <iframe> tag.
  • Web browser is fast and responsive; lack of native apps is not a problem as the full websites are brilliant on the large screen.
  • Built-in basic Office is a nice touch - can bosh up a quick Excel spreadsheet with graphs and all sorts, then pick up where you left off via SkyDrive on your PC.
  • Daily Bing photo on lock screen - I use Bing Desktop on Windows to update my desktop wallpaper every day automatically; I like the synergy between WP8 and Windows 8 on the PC.
  • Double-tap screen to wake phone.
  • Flip to silence - you can silence an incoming call by placing the phone face down.
  • Proper, dedicated two-stage camera shutter button.

So, 24hours in - still loving it overall.

[Edited on 05-10-2013 by evilrob]
Brett
Premium Member

5th Oct 13 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the web experience bwtter than other phones? Does it work with flash, activex, silverlight, etc?
Dom

5th Oct 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob - Seems not too bad then. A lot of those annoyances, like single volume controls, should be fixed in the next GDR3 update if you go by the rumours.

Have a look at Metrotube for a Youtube app replacement and there are a few other Facebook apps on the appstore, so might be worth testing a few out.

Have you ordered any other MS gear?

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll