corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  14    15    16    17    18    19    20  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Jambo

User status: Offline
11th Sep 14 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had Deezer free with my EE plan and it was ace. Then one day they got greedy and decided I couldn't log in from my laptop (windows) and only let me from my iPad or iPhone then decided to charge me so now I use spotify and it's great. I don't even mind the adverts! And I hate adverts!
John

11th Sep 14 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the new phone itch. Being having a look at the 930 tonight. Probably won't get one but it does look pretty good.
evilrob
Premium Member

12th Sep 14 at 22:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Got the new phone itch. Being having a look at the 930 tonight. Probably won't get one but it does look pretty good.

I'm still loving mine. That said, I'd have a long hard look at the Xperia Z3 if I were phone shopping today, despite it being riddled with Google AIDS.
John

13th Sep 14 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's gmail integration like on these Rob? Had a look at one in a shop and it looked pretty good. I'm not swapping to outlook or 365 though so need gmail to work properly (no apps with activesync, just plain gmail). Like the live tiles and seemed pretty fluid with my quick play.
evilrob
Premium Member

13th Sep 14 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gmail works fine. It's pull though, not push. Google cut off push for Windows Phone. So you can only get new mails as frequently as you set the mail app to poll your accounts.

[Edited on 13-09-2014 by evilrob]
John

13th Sep 14 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, that was the nail in the coffin when I had a 5S, was apple mail and IMAP (got rid before the gmail app was fixed). Think I'll be waiting until the nexus x comes out.
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Sep 14 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Hmm, that was the nail in the coffin when I had a 5S, was apple mail and IMAP (got rid before the gmail app was fixed). Think I'll be waiting until the nexus x comes out.

Actually it would appear I have lied to you - as of Windows Phone 8.1 Gmail push works again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCVkqyL7AU

Google definitely withdrew ActiveSync support last year; you used to be able to set up your Gmail account as if it were an Exchange account. Have no idea how push works now; can't rule out the possibility that Google might deliberately break whatever workaround Microsoft have found at some point in the future.

I just set my Google account to receive emails 'as they arrive' as per the above vid, rather than on a timed basis; sent myself an email from a different account on my Surface Pro - popped up on my phone 1-2 seconds later.

[Edited on 14-09-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Sep 14 at 08:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everything anyone ever needs to know about Windows Phone 8.1 courtesy of Paul Thurott, worth a read if considering the switch to Windows Phone or if you want to brush up on your Windows Phone chops. I just learned a shitload this morning:

http://static.windows81book.com/Windows%20Phone%208.1%20Field%20Guide%200.4.pdf
evilrob
Premium Member

19th Sep 14 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Free Wireless accessory bundle is back for Lumia 930 purchases made until 30th November 2014:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobile/campaign-lumia-930-offer/
kz

20th Sep 14 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend has a Lumia 920 and the battery seems to be playing up (realise I'm posting this just after my iPhone statement in the other thread... leave it lol)

She said she charge it to 100% before she left for work yesterday at 08:30 and by 130 it was completely dead. I think she listens to music on the 15 minute walk, but doesn't get to use it much at work, because usage of them is banned apart from on breaks. She's not really tech savvy so wouldn't know about shutting apps down 'properly' etc. (I presume there is a way, like on iOS) any ideas? Or is a just a properly fucked battery.
evilrob
Premium Member

20th Sep 14 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does she use WhatsApp? The latest update to that sucks battery like a motherfucker. I'd disable background tasks for it personally.

First of all make sure she's got the latest firmware updates and software updates by going into settings > phone update > check for updates and installing as required. Then go into the Store app > three dots at the bottom right hand corner > settings > check for updates and installing as required.

Then go into the Settings and make sure NFC, Bluetooth, GPS are all off - they're never a good idea to leave on when not in use. Check the Display settings to make sure the brightness is set to Automatic or Low rather than High. Find the Touch settings and make sure touch sensitivity is set to normal rather than high.

Then go to Battery Saver make sure it's set to on and disable any apps set to run in the background that aren't essential (like a Weather tile or whatever). Also check her email account polling settings in Email + Accounts in the settings menu.

Reduce the lock screen timeout to 1minute, say, if it's currently set to 10 minutes or something. This will turn the screen off quicker.

Also try installing Insider (there's a free version) - that will monitor your battery usage and shows you what radios were on at the time etc. to try and pinpoint the cause.

My money's on WhatsApp though - it's fucked at the moment. Either that or an errant process is stuck in a loop - try turning the phone off and on again.

[Edited on 20-09-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

20th Sep 14 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For future reference: To close apps hold the back button in the bottom left - then swipe each app down to cloase.
kz

20th Sep 14 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet mate there's a lot to check out then! Thanks. I do always update everything for her, including chucking Windows Phone 8.1 on there the other week. I'll run through all the above when we've got some free time tomorrow

Don't think she's ever used WhatsApp mind, unless she's talking to other men on there
evilrob
Premium Member

20th Sep 14 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really - standard issue smartphone battery life optimisation checks IMO.

I took the same steps on my Galaxy S3 and my iPhone 5 - turn off unnecessary radios, keep your OS and apps up to date, anally close down apps when not in use, set the screen brightness sensibly, restrict app access to stuff like GPS unless it's absolutely necessary (like SatNav) etc.
evilrob
Premium Member

30th Sep 14 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a heads up there are refurbed first-gen 128Gb Surface Pros on eBay at the moment for £320:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-Tablet-128-GB-Hard-Drive-4-GB-RAM-Windows-8-Pro-/151420103601?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item2341576bb1

Also, Windows 10 was announced today:
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=666318
evilrob
Premium Member

20th Nov 14 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Long story short: Microkia customer service is shocking.

Phone developed a few issues (screen started coming away from the body instead of sitting flush - which it turns out from forum surfing is a common issue where the glue fails, the anodised finish on camera button started deteriorating weirdly, and the vibrate became steadily more shrill) - tried their Facebook support page; basically responded with "this isn't covered, that isn't covered" - not "sorry to hear you're having problems" or "let me see what we can do to help" - just disclaimer after disclaimer and no actual advice on how to get my device looked at.

Tried their Twitter support - they pretty much said the same. Though they did at least point me to a warranty repair booking website that was out of order:

Took it to my nearest 'Nokia Care Point' - an hour away - they said it wasn't covered by warranty and quoted me £180 to fix.

Managed to find a 'Live Chat' feature on the Nokia website - got my complaint escalated. They sent UPS to collect it, but didn't tell me they were coming until AFTER UPS had already tried and failed to collect the device because I didn't know to be in.

Device was eventually collected. They had it for a week. It's coming back tomorrow. It better be fucking perfect.

[Edited on 20-11-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

20th Nov 14 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normal corner:

Comedy corner:

Normal button:

Comedy button:

evilrob
Premium Member

21st Nov 14 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair play - phone received this morning. It's perfect - screen is sitting flush, camera button is blemish free, vibrate is spot on.

Was a bit of a faff to get to this stage, but we got there in the end.

Moral of the story: if you moan enough, they'll eventually fix it.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 14 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think my mrs just got the 930, one with the orange back? She's a windows phone convert now
DaveyLC

21st Nov 14 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just bought my misses a Lumia 735 for xmas.. Great phone for the money but I have to say the manufacturing quality does let it down..

Nice display though!
kz

22nd Nov 14 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went looking at new phones with the missus today as hers is up for renewal soon. She's got a Lumia 920 atm but she's had enough of Windows Phone... thinking about returning to iOS or heading over to Android or a change. Pretty smitten with the Z3 Compact. Does look pretty good to me, I like the green.

Do like the Lumia 930 I just don't understand why every other manufacturer manages to make their flagship phone without bulk sticking out the back... hopefully we'll get a new one in 2015 with Microsoft branding.
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Nov 14 at 01:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Think my mrs just got the 930, one with the orange back? She's a windows phone convert now

They all come with an orange option! Might be an 830; arguably the better all-round phone because the 930 is quite big and thick and expensive whereas the 830 is almost as good spec wise (everything is a little bit lower spec - lower resolution screen, lower resolution camera, slower processor, still has wireless charging etc.) - but way thinner and cheaper than the 930.

If the 830 had been out at the same time as the 930, I'd probably have gone for one of those.
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Nov 14 at 01:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
I just bought my misses a Lumia 735 for xmas.. Great phone for the money but I have to say the manufacturing quality does let it down..

Nice display though!

Nice! Hope she enjoys it!
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Nov 14 at 01:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Went looking at new phones with the missus today as hers is up for renewal soon. She's got a Lumia 920 atm but she's had enough of Windows Phone... thinking about returning to iOS or heading over to Android or a change. Pretty smitten with the Z3 Compact. Does look pretty good to me, I like the green.

Do like the Lumia 930 I just don't understand why every other manufacturer manages to make their flagship phone without bulk sticking out the back... hopefully we'll get a new one in 2015 with Microsoft branding.

If I were going to buy a phone today, I'd be all over the Z3 (or maybe Z3 compact).

I just love the way it looks. It's basically my favourite phone design of all time (iPhone 4 - glass front and back, metal round the sides) but thinner, with bigger, higher resolution screen, 20MP camera, waterproofing, two day battery life, PS4 game streaming etc... it's the daddy. I quite like the look of the Sony smart watch as well.

Despite my reluctance to give Google any more information about me than they already have, Lollipop actually looks quite good.
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Nov 14 at 01:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Upon further inspection it seems they've just sent me a brand new phone - the fact it's a different IMEI pretty much gives it away!

<<  14    15    16    17    18    19    20  >>

New Poll