corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car

New Poll
  <<  8    9    10    11    12    13    14  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
9th Sep 12 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I overtook your mate in the blue one.
dewismotorsport

10th Sep 12 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I think I overtook your mate in the blue one.

Yeah that was his first outing in the car do wasn't pushing it to hard, as his brakes would fade after about 4 laps
dewismotorsport

11th Sep 12 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few more photos coming out, best one of the smoke

And the walk of shame lap :cry:
Col004

11th Sep 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the damage mate
possy

11th Sep 12 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U will build it bigger and better next time mate
dewismotorsport

11th Sep 12 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure of the damage yet as cars still in Coventry and I'm in Poole but hoping to have it back to work for next week.

Some good news, have managed to get hold of a new un used squirtered 86.5mm block with a balanced crank and new main and big end bearings for an absolute bargin big thanks to Stupink :beer:

Also a steel rod and arp's off Craig :beer:

So fingers crossed the rest are all alright
reecegsi

11th Sep 12 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad your getting it sorted quick mate hopefully that's all you need fingers crossed! What was original spec of old engine?
Col004

11th Sep 12 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad your sorting it bud.. Good man!
dewismotorsport

12th Sep 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys!

Brief spec of block and head:

Head:
XE cams
Double valve springs
Ported and polished
X20XEV lifters

Block:
.5mm over bore
Decked
Under piston oil squirters
Mahle pc forge pistons
Regal H beam rods
Arp main, rod, head studs
Cometic 1.9mm head gasket
Early XE crank balanced to flywheel and clutch

So aim is rebuild to same spec as before
possy

14th Sep 12 at 00:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how come your goin for x20xev lifters instead of xe/let ones and would it not be worth goin solid instead of hydrolics be able to give it a bit more death lol
dewismotorsport

14th Sep 12 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by possy
how come your goin for x20xev lifters instead of xe/let ones and would it not be worth goin solid instead of hydrolics be able to give it a bit more death lol

That's the current spec of my engine above!

Tbh I want bigger cams and solid lifters but tbh it just boils down to money and I want to at least get some use out of it and then at a later date do the cams etc
dewismotorsport

17th Sep 12 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been gathering parts for the rebuild, new 86.5mm oil squirted block, balanced crank and new main and rod bearings

New rod and ARP 2000's

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the 4x4 and trailer from work this weekend so wasn't able to collect the car but will have it this weekend coming so will know the exact state of the engine then
dewismotorsport

26th Sep 12 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well finally got my car back to work so started on the strip down

Engine out, will use this as a excuse to make a few mods to the bulk head for extra strengthening for the steering rack

First casualty I found was the radiator which a bit of the block had shot out into it

Quick bit of prep and all tigged up

This is the block damage where the big end has shot through, still have some of it as it was still attached to the crank sensor msl:

Head off and piston one is damaged, not to bad on the top but the skirt is trashed from where the snapped rod has mashed into it

4 bent valves, and slight burr on the edge near where the head gasket firing ring would sit but tbh that will clean up fine

Seriously over heated piston one big end crank, all others were fine with nice heathy looking bearings

Couple of the main bearings had odd almost bubbled effect on them but again not worn

Sump was in a shitty state with all the bearing shards in, the 8v plate had took a serious hit where the big end/rod had hit it

Repaired inside and out

Took the rest to bits and found what's left of the arp rod bolt, looks slightly purple so relates to the over heating but it's sheared clean off at the top of the thread section

Every thing stripped down and this is my scrap pile

So list of things I need are:
Mahle 86.5mm PC piston
Complete set of rings

And some service parts:
Inlet gasket
Exhaust gasket
Crank seals
8v sump gasket
Oil filter
6L Motul 300V 15w/50 oil

Took the z20let pump to bits to give it a good clean out in the kero bath, bits of bearing swarf in there so all cleaned out, also cleaned all the sump and pick up pipe out as well

New block with squirters, will clean up arp's and get it assembled to a point tomorrow, need piston and rings etc before I can fully assemble

Other random mod I've done is put the standard mirrors back on as I couldn't see anything out on track as my seat is now a lot further back so the little mirrors wouldn't allow me to see much
carl roper

27th Sep 12 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you dont hang around, i take it the heads savable then?
dewismotorsport

27th Sep 12 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes mate no point crying over it, ordering some new parts tomorrow so I can at least get engine nearly back together

Head needs 2 new valves but will replace all 4 on that cylinder to be on the safe side

[Edited on 27-09-2012 by dewismotorsport]
TimC909

28th Sep 12 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you going to drill the bearings or channel the mains for the squirters Adam?
dewismotorsport

28th Sep 12 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bearings I got with it are already drilled so will just use them tbh, it's a 50/50 thing pros and cons for doing it both ways, old block had grooves
corsadonk
Premium Member

29th Sep 12 at 06:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame about the early crank.
steveboyslim

29th Sep 12 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would not advise using that oil pump, the A&E bearings and I would not drill the bearings.
If your engine had an oil cooler I would bin it.
Head will need a full strip including the oil gallery plugs, if there are some bent valves you may find some broken valve guides.
All the valves will want checking for straightness.
The bearings are not upto the correct spec for turbo engines even though they fit.
Oil pressure will be reduced with that oil pump, also the outer gear may fail.
The extra hole in the bearing can cause a wear problem as two hole so close cut through the oil film.
All the valves should be checked while the head is off as you may find others which may be slightly bent, using a feeler gauge will not tell you anything, the valves need to be spun to test for straightness.

Steve

PS if you have used a steel flywheel with a 'sweat fit' ring gear, if not already done, the flywheel will want balancing and I suggest you tig weld the ring gear in place.

[Edited on 29-09-2012 by steveboyslim]
dewismotorsport

29th Sep 12 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Steve as per Vauxsport will do and gonna be in touch soon reference parts etc

I have a billet flywheel mate not two part type as you described
steveboyslim

30th Sep 12 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dewismotorsport
Cheers Steve as per Vauxsport will do and gonna be in touch soon reference parts etc

That's ok then, I thought you may have the same as you bum chum Rich.

Steve
dewismotorsport

30th Sep 12 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by steveboyslim
quote:
Originally posted by dewismotorsport

That's ok then, I thought you may have the same as you bum chum Rich.

Steve

Ha ha no I bought a proper one
dewismotorsport

5th Oct 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Block cleaned up and painted, same with sump quick coat of zinc based paint

Decided to hide a few wires as they were added after the loom was made :cry:

Ran them through the chassis rail down to the front, was a pain in the arse but worth it in the end

Decided to re seal the windscreen rubber as when going fast it pops out at the top, what a school boy error that was :cry: Turns out after I'd removed it its tucked under screen whilst being bonded in and once out wont go back in with screen in place so had to think on my feet and re seal and re fit seal after much swearing msl:

Removed the steering rack as in the past I have had problems with the steering rack cracking the bulkhead due to no power steering and sticky tyres, so gave it a quick seam weld

Also removed any remaining in used bolts/brackets and gave it a fresh lick of paint ready for the engine to be re fitted
dewismotorsport

10th Oct 12 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine rebuild parts turned up big thanks to Jav for the deal that was done :beer:

I decided against using the drilled bearings as steveboyslim advised me not to and to be honest he is the guru so respected his opinion

That now meant I had to add oil channels to my new block so whipped out the dye grinder and got busy, simple enough job to do, put some grease down the oil hole to minimise the swarf getting down there

Then decided to de seam the block of its casting lines which could potentially act as stress risers

Once all done into the parts cleaner to remove all swarf from oil and water ways

Mains bearings lubed up, in and torqued up to 50NM and 45 degrees

New big crank seal was added and also both oil pump seals

And that's as far as I can go for now as I'm still waiting on a potential piston, needs to hurry up and get back to me as I want to get it all back together
dewismotorsport

11th Oct 12 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided to keep cracking on with bits till I sort the piston situation out so decided to start on the gearbox, drain oil out and remove the speedo drive which has stopped working, as I was removing it, it fell into the box and disappeared from view :cry: much swearing later I shook the box and span it upside down until I could see it and then with some long nose pliers and a screw driver I had the little bastard out again :clap: so no gearbox split

All de greased and painted

Also found some of this at work so gonna give the polycarbonate a good clean as they have gone hazy again

<<  8    9    10    11    12    13    14  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car 23 database queries in 0.1901031 seconds