corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car

New Poll
  <<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
16th Nov 13 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Saab 2.0 turbo CV's turned up so made the shafts up

Also replaced both melted ball joint rubbers, will be replacing them with uni balls fairly soon

Just need to re do all front end geometry to get it all even going to aim for 2 degrees negitive camber and 1mm toe out.

Just the mapping to do really now for Pvs, will do a few other bits and bobs that are on the want to do list
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been ticking off the to do list so jobs done so far are:

Fitted the AEM wideband, this one has a data logging out put so at some point I'll get that hooked up to the Omex

Fitted a battery kill switch as it was a pain in the arse trying to disconnect and connect every time I used the car, race battery's don't like being drained down so this is perfect now, made some stilts for it and riv nutted it into exhaust tunnel

I've also re sealed the rear window and stuck down the front seal that seems to pop out at high speed, tighten the radiator temp sender and hoses as they had started to seap.

And finally I've managed to buy some carbon rear cards for sensible money so will get them fitted today
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys :thumb:

Got the car in today to do the tracking as I wanted to get the camber identical both sides and re check the tracking as the wheel was off centre slightly

Had a quick play with the camber and got them both bang on -2.5 degrees, went for -2.5 instead of -2 as some of the more modern race series cars run that amount so thought id give it a try and work from there

Then reset the rack and the steering wheel as it turned out when I done the shafts i'd not checked the steering was central :cry: so once happy re set the tracking I've gone for 1mm toe out as I like how responsive it make the turn in

While under there I re tighten the turbo to manifold bolts as it had started to blow, also removed two of the V band clamps as they were also blowing, this was the de cat pipe which tbh I won't be adding the cat again for mot so just welded them up

Jobs left to do now are:
charge battery
fit carbon rear panels
shorten kill switch power lead
mapping

so nothing major bar the low boost mapping really so it's looking good for RWYB, PVS, Fight club and TOTB qualifiers
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Final job I wanted to get done was to fit the carbon rear panels just to tidy up the inside

Battery is charged up and she's ready for some abuse
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fight club pics

dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drag pics

Vids to follow

Taking ages do starting with in question run lol
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well a pre PVS update:

Mapping didn't go well on the Friday night due to a wiring fault in the loom which caused us not to be able to get a pulsed earth for the boost solenoid so couldn't get it to work despite mine and chips best efforts in the layby at gone 12 o'clock at night :cry:

So power was just set at gate pressure which was 14psi and had to just use it like that for the handling and drag strip. :dunno:

At the event:

On the Saturday RWYB and Sunday I had serious problems with grip off the line due to the still high boost in first and second gear, which resulted in poor 2.2 second 60ft times. A Tial 7psi wastegate will be on order so I can set the minimum boost lower to help with traction.

Car made a 12.7 @118mph and a few higher times with 120mph terminals so not bad for a sub 330bhp car set up for track use
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once back from PVS it was time to sort the problems out, first up was the wiring issue so got Rob Twitchall back round to check my loom and sort out the pulsed earth issue, after much messing we got it working :clap:

Rare shot of Rob actually working apparently this is his best side msl:

When swapping the wheels back over I noticed the tracking and camber looked out on one side so quick check with the gauges proved me right

Appears the drivers side track rod is shagged as that was previously set to -2.5 camber and 1mm toe out!

Quick check of other side and all was good, lost -0.1 camber but I'll put that down to where its been jacked up and not settled back down and still at 1mm toe out

Have ordered 2 new track rods so will replace both just in case. Also noticed that there was some play in the steering wheel now so will order a new brown squibe/bearing thing as the bearing has obviously started to go giving it a bit of play.
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://youtu.be/saJMRK-3ot8

http://youtu.be/oWb1pZklQ7w

Fight club

http://youtu.be/ouQfQqaA73E
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some in car footage from PVS fight club and TOTB qualifying

Fight club:
http://youtu.be/6ZUdO6xypPQ
http://youtu.be/PcnH9FbtHgI

Totb:
http://youtu.be/Beu0IIMkO3o
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been going through the car and replacing any parts that were showing signs of age, the steering wheel had developed some movement so replaced it with a new bearing

At PVS I could only run wastegate pressure which was 12psi (320-330bhp) so struggled for grip in 1st and 2nd but then wouldn't allow me to run more boost in the higher gears so bought a Tial F38 wastegate

When it arrived it was missing the valve seal and had a 14.5psi spring in instead of a 7psi so wasn't happy, but times against me so got a valve seat from Turbo Dynamics and a new 7psi spring from Owen developments, great service by both company's.

Small green spring is the 7psi spring and the big blue is the 14.5psi one

Also wanted to up rate my ball joints to rosé jointed item, the build quality is night and day better

Due to my brake set up I had to remove the brake back plate else they rubbed

I also swapped the steering track rods as they are probably best part of 20 years old so made sense, whilest removing I noticed I'd bent one of the rods

Cut down the rods by 25mm to allow me to run my rosé jointed track rod ends again

Built up the new arm/rod and re fitted, the drivers side rod did not want to come off and was an absolute pig to get off due to only having only two flats to put a spanner on and had a serious amout of thread lock on so had to remove it mostly with the stillsons, the Delphi ones are multi flats so are a much better design.

Also a big thanks to TFS for my maptop, have ordered a new battery so all should be good and will no longer have to borrow people's laptops.
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Being doing the last few jobs before mapping and TOTB first up was to adjust the handbrake as it was weak and wouldn't lock wheel or hold car on burnout so now it's solid.

Next up was to repair a broken clip on the morette on the drivers side so now it's all solid again and alignment should be back to normal.

Re piped up the wastegate solenoid after enlarging the T piece by drilling it out a bit so it flows a lot better now.

And finally had my new OMP Corsica steering wheel turn up

As it had a deep dish on it, it allowed me to remove my OMP 60mm spacer, all fitted and quite frankly looking the tits!

All ready now for mapping tomorrow night
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This lot has just turned up, bring on the weekend!
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well final update before totb tomorrow and Sunday.

I've fitted some roll cage padding (well plumbers pipe lagging) as I kept testing my elbow on the door bar and knocking my helmet on the roof bar when getting in and out so thought it was wise as I've whacked my funny bone a few times which isn't funny :cry:

Took car over to chip on Wednesday night for a bit of road mapping and to set up some boost control, we had a few problems along the way due to the solenoid adjustment gave us very little difference between gate pressure and 30+ psi, literally 48 setting gave 7psi and 50 gave 30psi + so chip had to work some magic and came up with a temporary fix in putting a small hole in the vacuum return to wastegate which allowed us to get better control, I can now get progressive boost up to 20psi at about 80-90% throttle and if I give it 100% throttle it goes to 28psi so it's all controlled by my lead right foot really but it makes it much more drive able now and not as much a wheel spin machine. May look at getting a Apexi AVCR so that we can set boost in gear etc but I'll see how I get on for now, may just need a smaller diameter vacuum pipe on the return, something like a 2mm internal one.

Side of the road bodging msl:

Finished mapping at about 1am, when the bung in the side of the throttle bodie decided to pop out giving me a leak so had to call it a day but luckily we'd already done all the fuelling run checks. But the 1 1/2 hour drive back home was boring as I had to limp it home :cry:

Noticed I had a exhaust blow so assumed it was the manifold to turbo gasket but it wasn't I'd somehow managed to lose a bolt out of the hot side :confused: Stuck a new one in so all sorted, also repaired the throttle bodie while I was at it.

I also found that at very high speed the car easily changed direction so I've dialled the tracking back in from 1mm toe out and put it at zero as I'll be doing some top speed runs so want to keep it fully planted and not be fighting the wheel at 160mph + While I was at it I knocked a bit of camber as -2.5 degrees isn't the best for drag or top speed either so put it at -1.5 degrees so I'll still be alright on the handling circuit
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Mike

Well had a great weekend in the car at TOTB, didn't start the best when I couldn't get the car to idle once revved as it would cut out so leaned it off slightly and increased the idle so it wouldn't stall all the time, also had a reoccurring problem with the throttle bodie bung popping out so a quick Bodged with that, used alraldite and two 10p pieces and two zip ties and all was sorted again until I make a covering plate.

Only picture I've seen so far

Managed 24 1/4 mile runs and flyers these were my best results on the Saturday with a new personal best of 12.4 @ 121mph

Unfortunately the clutch pressure plate was on its last legs and made down shifting nearly impossible so struggled on handling circuit, once I've uploaded my videos to you tube I'll post them up.

Saturday night was a great laugh camping with the lads and lasses in the team plenty of beers and BBQ food and bed at about half 12-1 but got rudely awoke at about 5am by savage rain and winds which left my tent looking like this

And the gazebo totalled and wrapped around the front of my pick up!

Sunday was mixed weather with sun in the morning with rain bursts later on, the day had a very strong head wind so had a knock on effect on times and speeds. Final results were as follows

As you can see the Honda boys had us beat mainly due to running silly amounts of power and some very suspect road legal tyres!

Didn't hang around in getting hold of a new clutch managed to pick this 300 mile old one up on the Saturday from Rowland ready for replacing the old knackered one.
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ordered a new screen for the maptop as it wasn't displaying, fitted it and it's all working now :clap: Will invest in a spare battery as well as the mapping sessions on the road always need more than one battery

Also made a guest appearance in this months Total Vauxhall magazine

And the results are printed for the Regal fight club competition

dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My videos from TOTB

1/4 vs GTR
http://youtu.be/oxnHkupP_h4

1/4 vs white GTR
http://youtu.be/IsHw0Fn76Dg

1/4
http://youtu.be/jr4vRF_N2f4

1/4 vs Evo
http://youtu.be/KWXcXW6hWdA

Handling circuit
http://youtu.be/HzhwKPBQJYs

1km flyer 155.2mph
http://youtu.be/Zc79sMBXF2M

Handling circuit
http://youtu.be/zUI_NxeigvY

1/4
http://youtu.be/Gd0HPAZCtGQ
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some photos of the car at TOTB

Love the cone battle scar in this picture

dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking into winter tweeks and hoping to get a bit more grip as trying to put near 400bhp through 195mm tyres on track is a battle i'm losing, but due to having the astra GTE rear disc conversion I have no arch space at the back and have badly worn the tyre wall on the passenger side and that's only using 195mm wide tyres, so started looking into arch options, I have 3 to hand:

Option 1: just flare the rear arches and hope to get enough space for a slightly wider 205mm tyre on.

Option 2: Fit the super 1600 body kit which consists of the bellow

And looks like this fitted

This kit however won't buy me a lot of space maybe 215mm tyres max due to the rear arch heat being limited by the rear panel as you can only really trim the lip off like bellow, I've had similar in the past and I trashed tyres going over bumps

Option 3: Go full wide body, which will allow me a great selection of tyre widths and sizes so will have lots more grip, how it looks

Kit consists of the following

I am slightly leaning towards the 3rd option as the car is getting a re spray over the winter anyway and with the planned grp roof skin and doors I will technically have a full grp panelled car so should shed a bit of weight.

P.S I'm not really fussed about panel gaps as it's no show pony.

What's peoples thoughts?
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well with a track day booked at snetterton just round the corner (4th of November) I thought I best find some time for the car.

First off was to repair any problems which I'd got, the throttle bodie has been enlarged to 70mm and in doing so the water way was exposed so was chemical metalled and smoothed, worked fine for a good while but eventually spat itself out while road mapping so got re stuck but failed again at totb so had to bodge repair it with two 10p pieces and zip ties msl:

So this time I've made a permanent repair by adding a plate

Next up was I burst a damper seal on the adjuster on the dampers so I've sent both off for a free repair

Next up was the clutch, the pressure plate has had its day and now has about a 1mm lip on it so high rev change downs were almost impossible so picked another one up at totb.

Unfortunately I've got some broken ribs at the minute so made it a bit of ballache but man'd up cause lastminutemotorsport.com

Still struggling with low down boost control so I've treated myself to a apexi avcr so that I can take advantage of the boost in gear option which for a track car will be very handy and will also help me get the power down better on the drag strip instead of just spinning half the strip

Also picked up some more track tyres in a bit of a odd size of 205/55/16 but at £73 each I can't grumble as he'd only done one track day on them and still have 5mm of tread so a bargain really

And finally got given a trailer from work, needs some TLC but once done will be a handy back up trailer for when I can't get the works twin axle monster trailer
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't get much time on the car yesterday but managed to get the solid steering rack mounts on so hopefully that will help sharpen up the steering, was a pain in the arse to fit with the engine in as limited space

I'd noticed the gearbox side mount had started to wear on the mount bracket so welded up the old slotted holes and welded washers on so that the mount dowel sits in the hole and can't move around

Also treated the car to a set of uniroyal rainsport 2's so should Snetterton be a wet day I will still be able to go round bends msl:

Went for 205/45/R16
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it's all back together apart from shafts as both outer cv gaiters have split which is a bit annoying as they were new on not long ago but tbh they were just the cheap free ones that came with the cv joints, so will buy some tomorrow and get them fitted, then it's the case of re doing the geometry as I've now removed the camber bolts as it kept changing the camber settings so I will now just use the adjustable top mounts to set it up.

While the filter was off I thought I'd best give it a clean and re oil so used some stuff from work that they use on the off road motorbikes as I have a feeling it might be a wet track day so want to be on the safe side.
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weekend working on the car getting the list of jobs down, windscreen rubber sealed down as it kept popping out, fitted new wiper blade as have a feeling it's gonna be a wet track day, also fitted the wet tyres and balanced the drys again as I'd lost some weights

Then spent a lot of time pissing around with the geometry and tracking as it had all changed due to new rack mounts and the removal of the camber bolts
dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well Snetterton 300 was a great day! Car behaved well all day with only small issues from the gear linkage being worn/slightly sloppy and the passenger side driveshaft but working a bit loose due to the pinch nut being used, fixed that and lived with the linkage.

Only ran 12psi of boost on the day due to it being piss wet and slippy in the morning and slowly dried up in the afternoon, so used the wets in the morning and I was very impressed with there grip in the wet, damp and dry so highly recommended.

Obviously enjoyed the afternoon sessions more as I'd learnt the track and had more grip with the A048's.

Few grainy low res pictures

dewismotorsport

16th Nov 13 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some more low res pics from Snetterton

<<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car 23 database queries in 0.0307102 seconds