corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car

New Poll
  <<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car
gazza808

User status: Offline
12th Oct 12 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why would the bulkhead crack because you have no powersteering?
same forces are still needed at the rack end just majority is being done mechanically instead of your arms,
sticky tyres and stiff suspension i could understand.
dewismotorsport

12th Oct 12 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found the sticky tyres and as you say hard suspension caused it problems once the power steering was removed, when you turned the wheel you can physically see the bulk head flexing more so on the passenger side as it has nothing else bolted to it unlike drivers side, hence why I have added a strengthening brace inside the car in the passenger foot well
dewismotorsport

15th Oct 12 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Picked myself some pistons up at the weekend have done approx 1-1.5K miles so whipped the pins and rings out and got them in the parts cleaner a before and after:

All cleaned, need to now gap the new rings I've got and get them all fitted up

Found out why my speedo shit itself turns out its snapped and melted the spindle so new one needed :cry:

Anyone got one?
ianofbhills

15th Oct 12 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've not already sorted one I have a brand new speedo drive here you can have if you cover the postage costs.
(its for an f20 pretty sure its the same as f28 though)

dewismotorsport

19th Oct 12 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last of the parts bought for the corsa rebuild

Had to get 15W/40 mineral oil as halfords no longer sell the 10w/40 :cry:

Got myself a under drive pulley as mine was standard size so risked frying the alternator with repeated high rpm, thanks to vxlgsi for his quick delivery
:thumb:

Also massive thanks to ianofbhills for the free speedo drive worm :thumb: Owe you a beer if I ever meet you :beer:

Once the Astra is back up and running then the engine will be finished off and put back in ready for running in
dewismotorsport

3rd Nov 12 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well been busy lately so not had any chance to work on it really but got as far as weighing my rods and pistons only one rod was a different weight the one that I was given so I bit of material removal and it was all matched up

Also remembered I had a spare land rover oil cooler in the workshop which is a good size so am gonna use that as mine is no doubt full of swarf. Gave it a quick clean out

Then had a look at the quads which run a 12v fan, this ones melted slightly but have a new one on order

Gonna modify the brackets and cooler and fit this behind my bumper and wire the fan into my radiator fans so can have it on a switch or run off the ecu, I think the fan will be great out on track to help keep the oil temps down as these little fans are pretty dam powerful
Nic Barnes

4th Nov 12 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice idea
dewismotorsport

6th Nov 12 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
nice idea

Cheers I'm full of them
Jed D

6th Nov 12 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good shit mate
Novaneil

11th Nov 12 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fantastic build mate! Really enjoyed reading through it. One question, where did you buy that slimline battery box from as I can't see it in the rally designs website.

Cheers,

Neil
Pridzz

11th Nov 12 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A friend used computer fans

dewismotorsport

13th Nov 12 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Novaneil
Fantastic build mate! Really enjoyed reading through it. One question, where did you buy that slimline battery box from as I can't see it in the rally designs website.

Cheers,

Neil

Cheers glad you enjoyed reading it, haven't touched it for a while just been too busy

I bought it off a lad off here can't remember his name though, its a rally designs battery so they must sell the battery box to go with it I'd of thought
dewismotorsport

13th Nov 12 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Jed

And yeah have seen computer fans used before with great effect
Ben-B

14th Nov 12 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pridzz
A friend used computer fans

Is it just me, or are they the wrong way round?
dewismotorsport

15th Nov 12 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made a bit of time for myself tonight so thought I'd get the rings gapped and pistons and rods assembled

Also bought a helix 4 paddle clutch a while back got it sat next to my old technic clutch and it really is a case of spot the difference tbh
dewismotorsport

19th Nov 12 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to clear up clutch differences, paddle part is identical bar the sticker but the cover plate is different

Helix:

Technic clutch:

Note the extra strengthening fingers on the edge of the pressure fingers on the helix
dewismotorsport

19th Nov 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a few more hours on the engine today so got the bottom end together and torqued up, spins nice and freely by hand so happy with that

Gasket on and sump sealed up and studs back in

Clutch and flywheel cleaned up

All fitted and torqued up and ancillaries fitted

So with the bottom end complete made a start on the top end, stripped inlet and exhaust off and started the strip down, could only go so far as the spring compressor at work is far to big for my engine :cry:
dewismotorsport

22nd Nov 12 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bottom pulley bolt torque up and gearbox fitted

Made a start on stripping bent valves out of head, exhaust valves are definitely bent and inlets are possibly but hard to tell as all my drills have a slight wobble on msl:

Took 4 valves out of my spare head and cleaned them up

Started lapping but something didn't seam quite right, turns out old valves have had new angle cut in them and stems wasted so gonna have to get the new ones done to match which is bloody annoying as was hoping to have it in and running this weekend :cry:
Jed D

23rd Nov 12 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good shit mate. what was up with the old paddle clutch?
dewismotorsport

23rd Nov 12 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
good shit mate. what was up with the old paddle clutch?

I think it just started to slip at held 7250rpm so paddle part was fine but cover plate wasn't quite man enough, but tbh it has done well at 385bhp
dewismotorsport

23rd Nov 12 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On closer inspection of the head I wasn't happy with some of the valve seats and thought it would benifit from a skim, so dropped the head down to a recommended local company who are going to properly 3 angle seat the valves, put all new valve stem seals in as some fell apart when removing them, skim it and totally re fresh the head and pressure test it for me at a very good price

So instead of putting the engine in this weekend I've decided I will finally get round to fitting the cage after only 2 years of owning it msl:

So whipped the sunroof cassette out, didn't realise how much weight was in it! At a guess I'd say 20kg so half the cage weight so only really adding about 20kg's to the car :clap:

Took the seats and dash trims out and trial fitted the cage

So tomorrows job is to make the platforms and weld the back half in and bolt front half in, then make a start on adding extra bars to it
dewismotorsport

26th Nov 12 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't beat a good bit of head

Newly refreshed, blasted, valves seats 3 angle, newly cut valves, pressure tested and skimmed for a bargain price big thanks to Nick Gwinnett (Darkhorse) for sorting me out a deal at JTR engines in Poole which I highly recommend did a top quality service and in rapid time too :thumb:
dewismotorsport

29th Nov 12 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided to check and clean out all of the lifters, glad I did as one had smashed its retaining ring to bits and jammed shut, must of been the valve that took the worst hit

Had a spare ecotec lifter so re filled them all and tested them, then built the head back up

Heads all torqued up and inlet on just need to find time to fit the exhaust manifold and turbo and that it ready to drop in again
v144 sport

29th Nov 12 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I seen this car get mapped back in 2010 just before pvs was mental on the dyno just kept spinning the wheels.
dewismotorsport

30th Nov 12 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by v144 sport
I seen this car get mapped back in 2010 just before pvs was mental on the dyno just kept spinning the wheels.

Ah you alright mate were you one of the Clio boys? Yeah even when 4 people were sat on front end and 2 lumps in the car it still span

<<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car 23 database queries in 0.0207028 seconds