corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car

New Poll
  <<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car
daine
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Nov 13 at 22:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice Adam! turning into a "MONSTER" Track car, hope you keeping it same colour as before..
dewismotorsport

26th Nov 13 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys, yeah going all out track car now will be adding some aero mods as well while I'm at it. Yeah will be staying white, be a new type white as previous respray had a blue effect to it but unsure on the previous colour
wyley

27th Nov 13 at 01:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unreal man can't wait to see this done
Thinking of fitting a wide arch kit to mine myself
dewismotorsport

27th Nov 13 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by wyley
Unreal man can't wait to see this done
Thinking of fitting a wide arch kit to mine myself

cheers yeah looking forward to getting it on and painted just need to find some time to do it, took me a week to get spare time to get it out the box

Only thing with wide arch is you need to factor in extra cost like wider wheels, rubbers, spacers and obviously a full respray

My mate who owns a body shop owes me a favour so at least that's one cost down
daine
Premium Member

17th Dec 13 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hows the car coming along Adam ?? any up dates yet.

dewismotorsport

17th Dec 13 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daine
Hows the car coming along Adam ?? any up dates yet.

Been working on it for the last few days so will get the pictures uploaded and report back once I've finished
dewismotorsport

18th Dec 13 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a busy few days on the car, a lot was spent doing trials and measurements but got a bit done.

First up was to fit the refurbished GM epas rack, I'd previously been using a hydraulic one but un piped but it had developed a bit of play and was getting a bit vague.

Removed my new track rods only to fine the epas uses different end fitment

Turns out to work in my favour as the epas ones are thicker than the hydraulic ones

Hydraulic:

Epas:

Got the rack all fitted, while I had the linkage off I noticed it had loads of play which was causing my crunching at snetterton, so re fitted a rubber O ring that was missing which tightened it up again but with the plastic arm on there it would twist and flex when under pressure so done what has to be an almighty bodge for now

Only reason I have done that is because I've bought an internal shifter kit as will be doing away with it anyway once that turns up.

Next job took most of my time as there was a lot of trial and error with various driveshaft lengths and CV joints out of my spares bin tried some Saab shafts but ended up going back to some shorted equal length ones. This was all in a bid to gain some more castor on the car, in order to achieve this I had to shorted the rose jointed tie bars by removing 12mm and re welding the end sleeve

Once fitted and various driveshafts and cv combos tried I got them fitted and the results are below the string is loop around the top of the suspension strut top to show the angle

When I fitted the engine I spent a lot of time getting it to sit as far back as possible for varies reasons, handling/weight distribution, turbo space and being able to run as much castor as I wanted. There are also some benefits for that as the steering track rods are not at sharp forward position angles which can lead to ackermann change which is where the steering points are behind the pivots of the wheels, I have avoided this and actually now have perfectly parallel and horizontal track rod arms due to this caster change and my suspension set up. As you can see below:

So end result is below, as you can see its a good amount of caster and I had to remove more from the bumper edge

Why have I done this? Is it makes the car more stable at high speed and the steering wheel has a better self centring effect, I can now also run less static camber as with this turn in it adds some camber. I'll be setting up the tracking tomorrow and hopefully if it's not still pissing it down I'll take it round the test track at work.

On another note my bonnet now seems to of developed a serious dandruff problem as the heat cycles on the grp bonnet have made the paint flake off, not a problem as it's due a respray soon
dewismotorsport

6th Jan 14 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some new parts have started to arrive, bought two new breathers with a 25mm id as the single one was struggling a bit. Also got some rose joints for the rear dampers so I need to strip them down and make some threaded bosses that I'll weld to the damper base. And finally the internal shifter, wanted one of these for ages, this one came out of a rally car, I've now stripped it down and cleaned it all up and painted the shifter, need to try and see if I can run it down the original tunnel else the heater is gonna have to come out which I really don't want to have to do.
Christopher

7th Jan 14 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New set up looks good! I have no idea about it all but you seem to know about the benefits of having it that way!
dewismotorsport

7th Jan 14 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher
New set up looks good! I have no idea about it all but you seem to know about the benefits of having it that way!

Ha ha yeah it's all to make it handle better on track and has zero to do with looks
dewismotorsport

7th Jan 14 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Small update, modified the catch tank as the original breather was struggling as it filled up causing it to spit oil out so I've welded up the original hole and the block breather and now gone with two 25mm id pipes on and fitted the filters so will see how this copes now. Old breather on the right so you can see the size difference.

Went for blue filters as everyone knows blue adds at least 5bhp msl:
dewismotorsport

8th Jan 14 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Today's efforts were to replace the single wiper for two as at high speed with cars in front at snetterton it just wasn't clearing as fast as I wanted so converted back to two from the parts I salvaged from the Tigra I was given so had the scuttle as well

Then had to add the washer jet bar as I have no squirters in the bonnet, will make another one for the passenger side as well

Then onto fitting the internal shifter, bonus was it fits and runs in the original tunnel so the heater box can stay. I have drilled and riv nutted so easy removal and fitment.

The original linkage bracket holder on the gearbox has been plasma cut off and the gear linkage cut up as the original F20 linkage rods that came with the internal shifter won't work with the F28 so I'm having to make my own, I've chopped the old stuff up and will make new rods, I've cut the old cage up so I can use the bush as a bulk head bush/steady and will use the original Corsa rod so it's the perfect size for the bush it's a bit thrifty but will work fine
dewismotorsport

12th Jan 14 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a bit more done on the internal linkage, I've put some slotted holes in the end UJ so that will act as the alignment adjuster

After a lot of messing about and trial set up the linkage just wouldn't work in the original position due to the angles of the UJ's, so had to go to plan B and move where it enters the engine bay. As you can see it's now above the steering rack and over by about 4-5"a

This meant the bottom of the heater box had to be removed, luckily there were some bolts that hold the lower part on so once removed only needed to cut the front lip off, I have ultimately removed the channeling to blow on your feet which I don't use anyway

Modified the bush holder again to stiffen it up a bit

Which will now fit here

Linkage in car now sits about 5-6"s higher which actually feels nicer now, just need to make a platform for it to sit on

To be continued.........
dewismotorsport

12th Jan 14 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the new angle of the joints, once the U bracket is cut off the gearbox I will be able to reduce the angle slightly further
dewismotorsport

13th Jan 14 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some more tyres have turned up this time 225 wide got 2x A048 and 2x R888's got them for a bargain price of £52 a corner come with upto 3.5mm tread so get a couple of track days out of them so happy with that

Also ordered a shift light as I keep hitting the limiter as clocks only go to 7000rpm and my limit is 7500rpm so will set this up to come on at 7k so I'll see to change as before I've just been going off engine noise really as half the time your not watching the clocks

Been working on a turret for the linkage but will finish that tomorrow
dewismotorsport

14th Jan 14 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit more work done on the shifter, made a platform for it to sit on, now sits at a nice height, will be buying a quaife white nylon gear knob as the black gets lost in the car

Also had Dales old forge intercooler and filter delivered by Craig S so cheers boys :thumb:
Should be a lot more efficient than my eBay special and it's larger too, just need to chop the 2.5" ends off and weld some 3" 90 degree bends on
dewismotorsport

15th Jan 14 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Linkage all sorted now and can select all gears while static, it's a very close gate so hard to tell until I drive it really, but just relieved it's worked!

taylorboosh

15th Jan 14 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow how havent i seen this, epic
dewismotorsport

16th Jan 14 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Wow how havent i seen this, epic

Ha ha cheers mate
daine
Premium Member

16th Jan 14 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice linkage Adam, you running solid engine mounts with this ?? doesn't look like there's
any room for movement don't want it to bend anything under hard acceleration/braking.
should be very positive and fast gear though
dewismotorsport

16th Jan 14 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Nice linkage Adam, you running solid engine mounts with this ?? doesn't look like there's
any room for movement don't want it to bend anything under hard acceleration/braking.
should be very positive and fast gear though

Yeah it's on solid mounts so won't be moving, there is a slight bit of movement with the linkage so not rock solid so shouldn't lock out under acceleration/braking. It's a nice amount of throw and a really short gate so will take a little bit to get used to it.
daine
Premium Member

16th Jan 14 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to be one hell of a track car! any plans yet on its Steroid therapy?? ( the wide body kit).
dewismotorsport

16th Jan 14 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Going to be one hell of a track car! any plans yet on its Steroid therapy?? ( the wide body kit).

Yeah it's certainly dedicated now, wide body may happen after Bedford track day in February but depends really as I don't want if off the road for long during the track season so worst case over next winter or I may do it straight after and just use the xe track car in the mean time
daine
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dewismotorsport
quote:

Yeah it's certainly dedicated now, wide body may happen after Bedford track day in February but depends really as I don't want if off the road for long during the track season so worst case over next winter or I may do it straight after and just use the xe track car in the mean time

What day you at Bedford Adam ??, depending on shift pattern might pop down for a look at circuit, never been there! and a look at car too
dewismotorsport

20th Jan 14 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's on the 15th mate, always a great mix of cars down on that one, all being well will have a seat free for some passenger rides

<<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car 23 database queries in 0.0203280 seconds