corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Arden MK4 Astra Gsi - Update 17/8 PG27 Cambelt, coolant leak fixing.

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Arden MK4 Astra Gsi - Update 17/8 PG27 Cambelt, coolant leak fixing.
Liam

User status: Offline
16th Dec 09 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Waterpump could be your problem, i've just had exactly the same problem with my mk4.

It will probably only lose water when the car is running, or when it is under pressure, as when I was topping mine up on the drive there was no sign of any waterleak, but when I checked every few days it was nearly empty.
Adam C
Premium Member

16th Dec 09 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think your right mate, spent an hour looking over every hose and no sign of any leaks, had a good look under the car and still nothing.

Had another look through my reicepts and service history and only mentions cambelt being done at 43k miles, not the water pump which I thought had been done.

Topped it up with anti-freeze again and took it for a quick drive and now its displaying 'check oil level', its due for a service so will just top it up until its serviced in January.

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
Chris x

16th Dec 09 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ohh dear, that sounds expensive!

Hope you get it sorted! I love this car!
liamgallagher1994

16th Dec 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this problem with my Coupe, Turned out it was the Thermostat leaking as the gasket had gone Took it off cleaned it and put some silicone on it and all is fine now

If the silicone doesnt work you will need to get a new gasket from Vauxhall.
corsa120

16th Dec 09 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on my mk4 astra gsi ive replaced x2 coolant hoses cos of leaking 1 under the bottle itself and the other from the blockk to top of the coolant pot check them as they only leak under pressure as its enough to make the hose enlarge and burst out the hole....

mine was losing fair bit from one and i could not see it until i accidently caught it with my 12in adjustable and it hissed slightly
Adam C
Premium Member

16th Dec 09 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does sound expensive

Either way its going to the garage to be sorted, new waterpump, cambelt kit and tensioners etc. the cambelt has been done but whilst the water pumps being done I might aswell sort everything else out so I know its ok.
Will get them to have a general check aswell to make sure nothing else i leaking.

I did just remove the upper cambelt cover and the lower cover is very moist on the inside, and there is traces or water in there aswell so I do believe the waterpump needs doing.

Adam C
Premium Member

16th Dec 09 at 17:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers corsa120, Im going to take it for another drive now and when I get back will check the hoses again after being driven, couldn't see any leaks this morning or any traces of water but be best to double check.

Warren G

16th Dec 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres only 2 other options if you cant find a leak, and that is a leak! even if it was the water pump it would have signs of leaking.

possible heater matix, unlikely

head gasket.
ShEp

16th Dec 09 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going for water pump weeping.
frostyD

16th Dec 09 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shep do you know the paint code/name for the colour you had your masitalys painted ?
Adam C
Premium Member

16th Dec 09 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like ive said, had the upper cambelt cover off and had a peak down there with a LED Torch light, the inner side of the lower casing is very moist, and there is a couple of splashes of water here and there, so Im pretty sure its the Waterpump.

Its booked into the garage early January which means the wheel refurb has to wait, Febuary I have Tax and MOT which will set me back abit, but hopefully after thats all done the car should be fine, and can start spending more on modifying it.

Cheers for the help guys

Liam

17th Dec 09 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Symptoms are the same as mine, with the visible water behind the cambelt cover. How many miles are you on now? as obviously to change the pump requires the cambelt to be taken off..
Adam C
Premium Member

17th Dec 09 at 00:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im on 67k, like I said I was sure it had had the waterpump done, but looking back it only mentions the cambelt being done at 43k, eitherway Im getting it all done again, waterpump, cambelt and tensioners just to be on the safe side.

Liam

17th Dec 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, mine cost £220 for all that inc labour and a coolant change..
Adam C
Premium Member

18th Dec 09 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UPDATE 18/12/09

Came out to my car after work, being dry and on flat ground I managed to spot a little puddle on the floor, wasn't coming from the cam cover area though, was around the Turbo area, could see water had dripped onto the plastic under tray and onto the floor, I say its under the turbo area but no idea where its coming from?
Seems I may have more than one leak?

Well anyway I decided to do something with the car today, I have another 3 gauges that match my boost gauge sitting in my room, so to keep me entertained I thought i would fit the volt one for the pure sake of something to do.
No during pictures but Im happy with the end results

So next on the list to do in the new year:
.Full service including Iridium plugs and a decent panel filter
.Cambelt, waterpump and new MOT
.Tax in Feb
.Wheel refurb

Then with that lot done i'll move onto the next stage or plans

Corsa_Scotty

18th Dec 09 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks awesome mate
Adam C
Premium Member

18th Dec 09 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate, hopefully quicker and lower after maintenance

Adam C
Premium Member

24th Dec 09 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a major update, but got my car on Meguiars website in the "shining stars" section in the gallery.

Its nothing amazing but was nice to see it on there website, and they sent me some free goodies so win win!

Here is the link:
http://www.meguiars.co.uk/cgi-bin/gallwd.pl?pc=DEC97

Going to service it in the next couple of days also.

And to add to the maintenence list I need to replace the OE Recirculation Valve as from testing it it seems to be faulty, tempted to pay the extra and get an uprated Forge one aswell.

Mark.W

26th Dec 09 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Congrats Adam on getting you car om the Meguiars site
Jamie-C

26th Dec 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks cracking mate!

Have you got a link to the pressed plates?
Only ones I can see on there site the postcode is in black. I like the way yours is barely visible
Adam C
Premium Member

26th Dec 09 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Wooly and Jamie

The ones you see on there are the ones I ordered, so think thats how they make them now, Im still very pleased with them

Adam C
Premium Member

26th Dec 09 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update 26/12/09

Well already had a few servicing bits when I bought the car which where GM Plugs, Oil filter and fuel filter.
Needed a few more bits which I got for Christmas.

K&N Panel filter, NGK Iridium Plugs, GM 10w/40 Semi Synthetic Oil and Samco Hose Joiners for the powerpipe.
Will be servicing the car this Monday if the weather holds out.

Also got the money for the wheel refurb aswell as I've been going on about it since I got the car, set on Anthracite and Im pretty happy with the shade Ive picked out, so expect it to be done in the first week of January.

Jamie-C

26th Dec 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah cheers mate, was asking Wooly about his as well but might go for ones like yours as the postcode is barely noticeable but its there, so that makes them fully legal yeah?
Adam C
Premium Member

26th Dec 09 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I can say is I had them on my Old Corsa LET, same ones from Carnoisseur and they passed MOT, been followed 3 times by the Police since getting the car and they haven't pulled me or anything.
The site says they're road legal, they're reflective and in the correct font with all the right markings on the bottom of the plate.
I think its just the different fonted pressed plates which are illegal.

Jamie-C

26th Dec 09 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good to me, don't fancy getting any fines

Will order some of them my self!
Thanks

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Arden MK4 Astra Gsi - Update 17/8 PG27 Cambelt, coolant leak fixing. 24 database queries in 0.1995251 seconds