corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread

New Poll
  <<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread
SVM 286

User status: Offline
3rd Oct 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been catching up on the last half dozen pages or thereabouts as wasn't aware there'd been any updates for a while.

One word really...

Sensational.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

3rd Oct 09 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jim, I'll get Hamish to explain how the roof section came down with the car on, I'm currently in Egypt but will get him to reply for you.

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
How come progress is so slow? i thought he had all the parts he needs to finish it off?

Its hardly slow, each section is just about being hand made to fit every time, so takes time, and I know he only works on it an odd hour or so through the week and when he can at weekends. As he is earning the monies to build it to a decent enough spec to keep him satisfied for now

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
SVM 286

8th Oct 09 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Dan. Wish him all the best from me. Utmost respect for an incredible piece of work well done.
Matt L

8th Oct 09 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love reading updates on this . cant wait till its done, i may have to make a journey up to take photos of it and possibly steal it

[Edited on 08-10-2009 by Matt L]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

8th Oct 09 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Dan, how did they get the panel from the roof workshop down with the car on it without it just sliding into the chains?

Jim, just for you...

The shell was anchored to the back of the garage to stop it from moving when the ramp is on an angle.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
SVM 286

8th Oct 09 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems so simple now you say it.

Couldn't see it in the picture and the car looked like it was defying gravity.
Joe-Tait

9th Oct 09 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

11th Oct 09 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another update!

The harnesses are now in, 5 point schroth jobbies.

The water pipes are mounted after the silicone tubing finally arrived from samco the pipes are held together with a couple of brackets Hamish made which are still needing a coat of paint.

He picked the vents up from Dave so thought would try them in to see if he likes the black on white theme that seems to be developing!

Then it was onto the air scoop/ difuser... All the F1 boys seem to be going for double layer ones, I think they will all be going back to the single layer ones next year so thought I would lead the way on that!

To be honnest its going to be hard to follow the car now as its going to work the air so much!

Obvioulsy made from aluminium, the main sheet is rolled to give the curve, then folded on the leading edge to strengthen it up and to stop it catching any debris.

The leading edge does sit an inch higher than the floor of the car so hopefully it will survive!

It is then held together with good old trusty rivets. There will be a sheet of mesh to go over the opening to stop any debris from hitting the radiator.

And with the radiator cowling in place:

Needs a bit more going over with the wet and dry paper to brush it properly.

Next job is to finish the boot area, so dry sump tank needs a mount making, water pump to fit, radiator to plumb up and a header tank.

Hopefully some more updates soon!

Mattb

11th Oct 09 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love this project - absolutely fantastic
Rallycorsa

11th Oct 09 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cracking work as always but still dont like the pipework inside the car should have gone with stainless braid imo.
Matt L

12th Oct 09 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isnt that scoop going to cause massive amounts of drag?
Nad

15th Oct 09 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L

Thats where there has to be a compromise between cooling and drag. Look at say the Focus WRC car. It has the same layout in the front of the car and exits out of the bonnet. Just the reverse in this car.

At some point somewhere, air is going to have to pass over something. In most race cars its a case of keeping it moving as cleanly as possible. So by shutting off most of the engine bay and sectioning off the cooling areas this helps remove drag.

Rick Draper

15th Oct 09 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will have a tendency to make the car want to understeer more imho.

Can be easily adapted though and altered once the car is up and running.

[Edited on 16-10-2009 by Rick Draper]
DaveyLC

16th Oct 09 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nad
quote:
Originally posted by Matt L

Thats where there has to be a compromise between cooling and drag. Look at say the Focus WRC car. It has the same layout in the front of the car and exits out of the bonnet. Just the reverse in this car.

At some point somewhere, air is going to have to pass over something. In most race cars its a case of keeping it moving as cleanly as possible. So by shutting off most of the engine bay and sectioning off the cooling areas this helps remove drag.

Plus its a nice bit of down force at the rear
chris_uk
Premium Member

24th Oct 09 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any more updates?
DannyB
Premium Member

24th Oct 09 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
How come progress is so slow? i thought he had all the parts he needs to finish it off?

I actually laughed at this, have you read the last 16 pages at all? do you realise what this guy is doing?

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Oct 09 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hamish has managed to get the majority of the boot stuff mounted. He has made a final list of parts needed to finish it off, so will get them ordered up this coming week.

He then decided to jack it up to do some work on the underside. Managed a good dragster look

One off pistons and conrods have now been ordered from the US!

Hopes to start on the wiring soon too!

Matt L

26th Oct 09 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as i have said many many many times before this is soo friggin cool and cant wait to see it done.
SVM 286

30th Oct 09 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shiny bits, lots of. Nice.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

19th Nov 09 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fist of the engine parts have landed.

One off JE pistons:

Tefflon top coating:

Gudgeon pins moved up 6mm:

The block is going to be machined with the pistons on friday so the rebuild shouldn't be too far away now! The one off Pauter conrods should also be here soon.

SportBoy

19th Nov 09 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so fvcking epic .. wish i had the knowledge,patience and money to do somthing on this scale. top stuff
John G

19th Nov 09 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what does this guy do for a living? this thread never siezes to amaze me
Mattb

20th Nov 09 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grows money trees by the looks of it
Joe-Tait

20th Nov 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mint
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

20th Nov 09 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John G
what does this guy do for a living? this thread never siezes to amaze me

Alot of over time is what he does! Possibly a new job on the cards tho!

<<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread 24 database queries in 0.1131651 seconds