corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread

New Poll
  <<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread
corsagsigav

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this just gets better
every tym i read it
Joe-Tait

24th Aug 09 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They run out of paint for the inside of the boot

Any info on the water pump hes using?
Matt L

24th Aug 09 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EPIC i do love this thread and cant wait to see it complete (i say this like every time theres an update lol)
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

24th Aug 09 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the car is back on its wheels for the first time in nearly 2 years! To say its packing a bit of tuck is an understatement

Had to cut the rear tie rods down 20mm each end on the laithe as they were too long causing toe in issues!

Went to get a few stainless bits first!

So the tie rods went from this:

Down to this:

Enabling this!

Then tried a few bits out in the interior. Floor plates have been covered with skateboard grip tape:

He should get onto the interior and boot properly tomorrow!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Marc

24th Aug 09 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sweet!
BluKoo

24th Aug 09 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just spotted this on E38, but since i'm not registered I couldn't see the pics without clicking each one individually, so I was hoping there was an update here, and woohoo, there is

Looking great as usual.
sand-eel

25th Aug 09 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It must be nice just bolting stuff on now, no cutting, no welding, no rusty bolts etc.
corsagsigav

25th Aug 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have we got ant more updates today dan
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Aug 09 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's had another good day today fitting the plumbed in fire extinguisher.

It took a lot of trial and error to find the best place for it as there is a lack of room inside the car!

Eventually he settled on the place you see it in the pictures, basically as there was no other place it would go! Obviously the pipes still have some P clips to fit to hold them tight to the shell

The nozzles inside the car are pointing down into the footwells as per the instructions that came with it.

The nozzles in the engine bay will be fitted to each headlight support pointing into the middle of the engine bay, once he has some more pipe as ran out.

The water pipes are in just held with cable ties for now untill he makes some proper mounts.

Now for the pics:

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
BluKoo

25th Aug 09 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The built in fire extinguisher is quite cool. Never heard of or seen one before.

How does it work? Does it detect a fire, is there a button you press? Does it go off after an impact?
ed

25th Aug 09 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's usually a lever that you pull on which makes it go off through the pipework and out to the nozzles placed around the car. They're mandatory in a lot of racing series just in case...
sand-eel

25th Aug 09 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The plumbed in fire extinguishers are a must in rallying, you just press a button and it goes off and empties it all, there has to be a button outside as well for the marshals incase the people in the car had a crash and can't press the button.
sand-eel

25th Aug 09 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there going to be heat wrap on the rad pipes? I can imagine it would get mighty hot in there.
jonny_sri

26th Aug 09 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsagsigav

Never mind this, get some more updates done to yours!
corsagsigav

26th Aug 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jonny_sri
quote:
Originally posted by corsagsigav

Never mind this, get some more updates done to yours!

lol am busy working all the time at the moment to pay for parts and the days i do get off bloody rains and my power tools dont like water but it will be moving along nicely soon
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

29th Aug 09 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hamish spent today sorting a few issues that occured during the build up. The first was that one of the subframe mounting bolts managed to spin in the captive nut. This was the first thing he had put back on the car which was a bit of a downer. He left it alone untill today to sort. Luckily there was a hole in the chasis rail right by it so was able to put a longer bolt in and then weld a piece of bar onto a nut which he then cut to length so it jammed against the inner chasis leg. Far better than having to cut the old captive nut out and replacing it!

Next was to shorten the rear tie rods even further as they were still too long causing toe in problems. As the rose joints were already bottoming out in the arms, he took all the 20mm off the right hand thread side. Then used a 5/8th's tap and tapped it back to full depth. So they are finally on and the right length with some adjustment either way.

When fitting the rear ball joints to the struts there was a nut that had sheared in the strut which must have been in there when they were removed from the ur quattro they came from. So it got drilled out and re-tapped which was a nightmare as it wouldn't go in the press drill so it had to be drilled with a hand drill. Luckily its an open hole as opposed to the otherside which is blind so he is going to put a 10mm longer bolt in it and then put a nyloc nut ontop to make sure there is no chance of it coming out!

The last bit to modify on the drivetrain was the front tie rods which rather than using a taper fit just use a bolt through a rose joint. So he had to open them out with a file so the bolt just fits up through the strut arm, leaving the bottom with a taper should he revert back to standard tie rods.

Finally the pedals, steering column and brake master cylinders are on the car. The steering position feels about right so no need to mess about with UJ's to drop the column.

SteveoBC
Premium Member

1st Sep 09 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very very very nice
sand-eel

1st Sep 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Is there going to be heat wrap on the rad pipes? I can imagine it would get mighty hot in there.

flybikeslee

1st Sep 09 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

coming together nicely now
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

1st Sep 09 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

As far as I'm aware no heat wrap will be fitted!

chunky_nb

1st Sep 09 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive not seen this in a while, coming along, probably the most eagerly awaited finished project in my eyes
C2RL R

3rd Sep 09 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are there any other project threads like this one to look out for? i like reading the project threads but never seem to see anyone undertaking projects on this scale.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

3rd Oct 09 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hamish managed to get a little bit more done to the car. The windows are finally in. he tried a couple of different types of tape untill he found what he was happy with. The tape is neoprene, only sticky on one side as the double sided stuff looked crap as the window doesn't sit onto it all the way around.

Bolted in with m3 bolts, and nylock nuts. Sorry they are not clean, I gave them a quick wash as they were filthy but never dried them!

Then he has re-made vents so he could get the pipe onto at the back. Using some roll cage tubing, split it down each side and opened one end up. Then welded a couple of cheese wedges shapes into each side.

They then got fibreglassed in and a skim of filler before some paint, just need a T-cut to make the paint finish blend in, he also made some pieces up for the other end of the air hose. It was some roll cage tubing welded onto some flat metal then bolted into the firewall pieces inside the rear wings. forgot to take pics of either bits before the panels went over them!

Finally to cover up the backs of the wings, vents, and air ducting he has made some cover pieces.

Had 3 goes at them before being happy. Ended up having to be made in 2 pieces as the cage meant he couldn't get the 1 piece one in! Decided to go for a brushed finish with some wet and dry paper, and held in with some self tapers and double sided tape on the back to make sure it doesn't rattle.

He is going to be making the rear difuser / air scoop for the radiator next, and then get all the boot area finished up. As usual all these job that might look easy end up taking far far longer to get right and usually a couple of goes!

SVM 286

3rd Oct 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
how come progress is so slow? i thought he had all the parts he needs to finish it off?

I'd say that as he's building a Grp B replica from scratch, progress is anything but slow.
SVM 286

3rd Oct 09 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dan, how did they get the panel from the roof workshop down with the car on it without it just sliding into the chains?

Is it anchored to it before dropping the section down, or is it chained/roped/strapped/held elsewhere in the building?

<<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread 24 database queries in 0.1202199 seconds