corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Dec 07 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mate of mine, has been on about building a SWB Quattro for some time, so after spying one on pistonheads he went and collected it a week before Christmas.

Its a coupe quattro so a 2.3 non turbo 5 cylinder but crucially it shares the same shell as the turbo quattro!

It came from Edinburgh and has had an exciting life so far! It started life in Germany untill in was imported in the late 90's i think, so it is lhd. When it was brought into the country it was stolen and then recorverd after 9 months in a compound with a load of other stolen cars. Therefore it is on a Q plate.

The car itself looks to be very solid on inital inspection (famous last words). It looks to have a couple of bits of rot on the boot floor but the floor pan as a whole looks realy nice!

So the plans. Its getting made into a short wheel base quattro, so there is 320mm to come out of the wheel base! Then it will be getting a full weld in cage and a spartan interior. The outside will be getting a swb kit with the huge arches so i can get some 9" by 16" wheels under the arches!
The engine is getting replaced with a 2.2 20v turbo out of an audi S2, i will be using at gt35r so will be circa 600 brake on normal fuel, with 700 on 118 ron race fuel. I will be using the full drivetrain out of a turbo ur quattro which can handle that kind of power. Obviously there will be lots of nice bits to buy for it, but I have a vision of what I want and I am sure I can build myself my dream car!

So here it is!!:

Here it is in the garage it has a worried look in its eye, perhaps it has spied the grinder and welder?

So roumour is there is some stripping action going on tomorrow!

Updates tomorrow no doubt.

Oh and a sneeky pic of what it will look like when done!

Only in pure white

DAY 1 - Stripping begins:

A superb day today! Jamie came down to give me a hand and it was decided to strip all the interior out!

So here is where we got to:

Jamie trying to escape, dukes of hazard styleeee!

And then trying to drive it!

So tomorrow is going to be the day of getting the rest of the car stripped hopefully, so engine to come out, seem to remember pulling an engine out last xmas eve as well!! So no doubt there will be another update tomorrow. The cutting is getting ever closer!

Finally, a big thanks to Jamie (aka Squib) for coming down today and giving me a hand, cheers mate!

DAY 2 - More Stripping:

So today went pretty well the engine didn't come out as easily as expected because the front pannel didn't come off. So the grinder had to be unleashed upon it to make it a removable front pannel!

So heres the pics:

Then Squib decided that he would move from sitting down:

To inside:

Then he decided he would perform an horrific act, (may be unsuitable for some younger users) he rode the engine like the right bender he is!

yeeeee haaaaaaaaw

A big thanks to both Dan and Squib for coming down to lend a hand, it makes a huge difference having some help with it!

DAY 3 - More Stripping:

So after the 2 days break for some christmas thing? I got back into it today! Started off taking some more stuff out of the engine bay which moved into taking all the wiring looms out of the car. I then decided to see how easy the sound deadening matt was to get off. This lead into me taking over half of the stuff off untill the heat gun decided to die. So I decided to take all the windows out bar the windscreen and then call it a day.

The pics:

DAY 4 - Yet more stippage:

I got the screen out first, but ended up cracking the bloody thing even with dad helping me. After I had got it out there was a nice hole in the passenger side bottom corner, some pikley had repaired it in the past by using filler to cover the hole!

Then I moved onto the rear subframe, this all came to bits ok except for the nut holding the right rear upright on would not come off, managed to get it nearly off but the nut must have been cross threaded or the wrong nut so it just would not come fully off. This meant the grinder had to be called into action to spilt the nut off the threads to get it off. That done I got the subframe dropped off the car but left it under there as there is no where to put it in the garage at the moment.

Then seeing as the grinder was out I decided to cut the inner pannel off the doors and then moved onto the rear 3/4's.

Its getting there now! I am sure I will get it fully stripped tomorrow, boot lid and rear bumper still to do and some bits and bobs underneath.

DAY 5 - More Stripping:

Got the back bumper and the tailgate off today. The sill covers also came off all looks ok under there a few bits that need attention but nothing too drastic! Got a new heatgun today so i finsihed up taking off all the tar matt from the floor. Managed to get that bag from just one side, it must weigh a good 10kg so say 20kg of weight removed!

Thats where he has got upto so far, I will update this as he updates it on other websites!

Hamish if your reading this keep up the good work mate

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
205tom

29th Dec 07 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will defo be keeping an eye on this,make sure it gets converted to 5 stud tho as thats a dead givaway
SVM 286

29th Dec 07 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody brilliant stuff and such swift progress too.

Certainly a brave man, but if you're gonna do it to one, best make it a LHD small arch non turbo variant.

Is he ok with the LHD factor?

Any idea how much he gave for the car?

Tell him to change the rack or have it refurbed/rebuilt while the car is in bits as it will be a horrid job to do if it needs doing when she's back together.

I await further progress with baited breath.
modded_corsa

29th Dec 07 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my boss bought a 20v turbo version of the last edition quattro's

paid 14500 for it from a place in leicster,

modifications so far include
hybrid turbo
rear differential fully stripped down and re-balanced
custom remap courtesy of auto-mark in stokesly.
full body respray, including all side trim stickers, which were only avalable form the dealers at the cost of 170
custom made intercooler from pace motorsport.

will try and get pictures posted when i have chance.

stunning cars imo,
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

29th Dec 07 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 205tom
will defo be keeping an eye on this,make sure it gets converted to 5 stud tho as thats a dead givaway

It will 100% be getting a 5 stud conversion as he's already picked his wheels

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Is he ok with the LHD factor?

Any idea how much he gave for the car?

Tell him to change the rack or have it refurbed/rebuilt while the car is in bits as it will be a horrid job to do if it needs doing when she's back together.

His has just finished re-building this last year:

LHD VW Golf Rallye, think he prefers the LHD!

He paid the large sum of £450ish for it

Can't imagine any of the rebuild being left untouched either so rack etc will be done no doubt!

He has developed a fetish for the grinder so cutting in half won't be too far off I reccon!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Bram

29th Dec 07 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a fun project but can see it taking some time, I'll check this post again next Decemeber

sand-eel

29th Dec 07 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bloody right i love these cars, defo will be watching this.
richard_cooper

30th Dec 07 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WOW awsome

Much respect!
ShEp

30th Dec 07 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know a lad that used to own that car

It was re-registered in Inverness as 'ST' is the Inverness registration mark
jr

30th Dec 07 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

potentially the best project ever put up here by far
Hamish

30th Dec 07 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa

I take it your mates called Hamish. If not ill take that as a compliment

As been said this could be the best project on here by a mile. The pedagree (sp) that goes with these cars is immense

[Edited on 30-12-2007 by Hamish]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

30th Dec 07 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
I know a lad that used to own that car

It was re-registered in Inverness as 'ST' is the Inverness registration mark

Could be interesting for him to see his old car being cut up

quote:
Originally posted by Hamish
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa

I take it your mates called Hamish. If not ill take that as a compliment

Yeh my mate thats building this is another Hamish!

Marc

30th Dec 07 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it just me or does the number plate almost say Quattro!!

Why has he bought a LHD car though? Authenticity purposes or is he not bothered about the trouble its going to cause him?
Robin
Premium Member

30th Dec 07 at 18:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is he doing it properly, with the front screen and door tops from an audi 80 so it looks right, or is he doing it the Dialynx way with the original screen which never looks quite right?

[Edited on 30-12-2007 by Robin]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

6th Jan 08 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Set about gettin the car upstairs. Easier said than done!
Removed the doors and lowered the floor. All in all I think it took about 2 hours to do, with three (four at one point) sets of hands.

Anyhu, the pics,

Pushed outside on trolley jacks down the hill was fun!

This shows the garage door as well, which we had to remove to lower the floor. It actually weighed more than the world itself. No ones ram-raiding this garage

Doors off.. even lighter now!

You can see the floor being lowered in the background in this one

Up she goes...

Going...

Going...

Gone!

New home!

Now the rallye can be dry and warm again! (this will be getting some attention now so it doesn't feel left out )

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

6th Jan 08 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More work on it today.

Getting the glue from the tar mat off is torture, but its nearly all done now!

Then I decided to wield the grinder towards the floor and got that chopped out!

Jon_C
Premium Member

6th Jan 08 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need a garage like that. Its awesome
jamesvalver

6th Jan 08 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that garage is fucking immense!! this is gona be a really good project. what did ya mate think to the pic of the rallye?
random dav
Premium Member

6th Jan 08 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome

WRLFC !

Project cars
richard_cooper

7th Jan 08 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want a garage like that!
dazavich

7th Jan 08 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope to God this project is finished, will be immense if it gets completed
Charlton

7th Jan 08 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

project is going to be the dogs as for that garage id love a garage like that
flybikeslee

7th Jan 08 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never seen a garage like that! its awesome
Nick-S

10th Jan 08 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have high hopes for this
i shall be watching
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

12th Jan 08 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a huge amount to say really other than its now a swb quattro... kind of Heres a random assortment of pics:

Admiring the new Targa Coupe Quattro!

Woops!

Pushed back together for the night.

Tomorrow should see some more progress...

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread 24 database queries in 0.1887910 seconds