corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Raspberry pi folk

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Raspberry pi folk
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Jul 16 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a bit of a project I'd like to undertake using the raspberry pi. So anyone who knows their way around them give me a should.

Monies can be exchanged for your services
Gary
Premium Member

16th Jul 16 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shout*
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

16th Jul 16 at 18:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always call them raspberry PEE AYE

no idea why? I know its PIE
Rob_Quads

17th Jul 16 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is it your trying to do. I have a few round the house doing things like collecting temps from wireless xrf sensors
pow
Premium Member

19th Jul 16 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what it is but I'm happy to help
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Jul 16 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you trying to do?
Gary
Premium Member

19th Jul 16 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Control numerous rf switches and pick up Temps via rf temp sensors. So the pi would switch on/off depending on the temp set. Just like the lightwave kit but with a better front end. Would also like to connect an energy monitor.

I know it's not quite as simple as I've written it
willay
Premium Member

19th Jul 16 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Zwave + https://home-assistant.io/
willay
Premium Member

19th Jul 16 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need some idea of what sort of things you want to monitor and what sort of things you want to turn off?
Gary
Premium Member

19th Jul 16 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needs to able to switch a 5amp load. Want something bespoke really. I know there are systems out there already but I want to design my own UI, tailored to what I want.

I'm installing lightwave at the moment to control infrared heaters but it dosent suit the places it's going in
willay
Premium Member

20th Jul 16 at 08:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bespoke makes it hard to maintain, at least with one of these opensource projects you'll have updates most of the time, also less labour imo. These systems can interact with anything, just need the right gizmos to switch on
Dom

20th Jul 16 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Appropriate transceiver with serial connection (/SPI) and a relay board (plenty of these about, alternatively trigger them directly from the GPIO) then couple it together with Python (easiest to use on a RPI).
Arguably you could use an Arduino for this, which would probably be a more efficient way of doing it, but it'd be a lot more work plus you'd still need something to handle the frontend UI.

What RF switches and sensors are you planning to use?
Gary
Premium Member

20th Jul 16 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck knows, hence why I'm asking those in the know. If anyone is interested in taking it on then let me know and I can email you a more specific list of requirements. Like i said, I'm happy to pay for your time.
willay
Premium Member

20th Jul 16 at 11:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what sort of temps are you trying to read? air temps? water temps?

Gary
Premium Member

20th Jul 16 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Air
willay
Premium Member

20th Jul 16 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okay and what do you want to switch on, central heating or something?
Gary
Premium Member

20th Jul 16 at 14:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Electric Heaters. Boiler. Electronic TRVs. Numerous things. The UI and monitoring is the important thing though really. I could probably follow some guides and sort the rf switching but not the rest of it
DaveyLC

1st Nov 16 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to dig up this old post but I've just got myself an Arduino Uno after finding a real world reason to actually need one..

I've had a PI before but never really found a good use for it and the fact its a 'full blown pc' that requires an OS and therefore a startup and shutdown sequence means its not that useful for logic and sensor based projects where as this is exactly what the Arduino was created for.
willay
Premium Member

2nd Nov 16 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think a arduino would be suited to what Gary wishes to do
DaveyLC

3rd Nov 16 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not? If its just monitoring inputs and making decisions it sounds EXACTLY what he should be using
willay
Premium Member

4th Nov 16 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Why not? If its just monitoring inputs and making decisions it sounds EXACTLY what he should be using

Needs to design a nice UI, not something on a small LCD screen. I would hazard a guess and say he'd probably want to access it remotely by means of a web interface/app on a phone, which the Pi would be more suited for as its not exactly rocket science to get linux installed with apache.
DaveyLC

4th Nov 16 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could be done with the DataLogger/Net shield, post the values to a simple php service or FTP them.. Have a website to manage it

willay
Premium Member

4th Nov 16 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't sound like its the right tool for the right job.
DaveyLC

4th Nov 16 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose that depends how capable the user is

Clearly the PI is a fully-fledged PC, you can write thick applications with UI's but if that's not your forte you're going to struggle.
willay
Premium Member

4th Nov 16 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mmm yes and no, it wasnt about the users capability. What I'm talking about it not reinventing the wheel when there is a perfectly good wheel to already use.

As I posted ages ago in this thread, I'd buy a pi3, load linux, install home-assistant. Gary has already said there are RF switches/sensors to read so you would need some sort of 'rf dongle' to read, however I'm not 100% on that sort of technology. Instead I would be looking at zwave:

zwave switch: http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-aeon-labs-micro#fo_c=521&fo_k=fb2ec43606c48f418188e7d3073f5046&fo_s=gplauk

Dongle (plug into Pi3): http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/z-wave-aeon-usb-series-2-adapter-with-battery/

Unsure how/where the tempature is being taken, so I'll just dump this here which also reads light/presence and a bunch of other stuff: http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-aeon-labs-multisensor-gen5?gclid=CKqHjb_rjtACFWIq0wodruMM0Q#fo_c=521&fo_k=797f246a045c3b929a12608cca44b7c4&fo_s=gplauk

Beauty of z-wave is how it meshes, so other z-wave devices can help you reach other z-wave devices that are further away. Home-assistant's interface can be fucked about with massively, but it also has a REST API by default, so if you are handy you can code your custom php website or whatever and just trigger stuff from the API.

No breadboard in sight

[Edited on 04-11-2016 by willay]

[Edited on 04-11-2016 by willay]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll