corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Netflix around the house

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Netflix around the house
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th May 13 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pi wins
Dom

14th May 13 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I take it when I booted the android shitter then i'd have to click on the XBMC app to start that, where as an RPi would boot straight into XBMC?

Yup. Whether or not you can configure it to automatically load the XBMC on startup (like you can if running XBMC on Windows or OSX) i'm not sure.

[Edited on 14-05-2013 by Dom]
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's good, cheers dom. I think I want a RPi.

One more question, how do you control it?
Dom

14th May 13 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Can't find iPlayer on the XBMC add ons, i guess youd have to use the android iPlayer app.

That makes it a little shit tbh. Is that because it's not supported on the android version yet, since Dom has shown that it's available for XBMC already?

You have to add repository sources, then the plugin becomes available to install. Although i found it easier (for plugins and themes/skins) to download the plugin from GitHub/Google Code/or where ever it's located, stick it on a USB stick and use the 'Install Add-on from.....' (gives you a file dialog box and you select your USB stick) option with the System menu.
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

nunchuck mate

Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Piss off
Brett
Premium Member

Would I be better just buying this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400466048562

Bearing in mind there's gathering all the bits I need and my valuable time installing it all. Is it worth it?
Dom

14th May 13 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

On the RPi?

If you TV supports CEC, then once you select the HDMI input on your tv your TV remote becomes the controller - similar to Sony TV's allow you to use the remote for controlling PS3's.
Otherwise, there are a number of phone apps like YATSE (Android) that allows you to use your Android/iOS device as a remote.
Alternatively you purchase a remote/receiver, something like THIS (plenty of them on eBay).

Forgot to mention, you want the B spec of the RPi board - it has an extra USB port and Ethernet (as well as more ram onboard, which is handy). And if you want wireless then you'll need a USB wireless dongle.
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Mouse-Wireless-Keyboard-IR-Remote-for-MK802-MK808-Android-TV-BOX-PC-CN82-/251273213174?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice&hash=item3a810cf4f6

Thats looks really cool
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ, right effort procuring all these bits I'd want a nice remote too, but that'd cost the same again as the bloody kit to build the mediacentre
Dom

14th May 13 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Would I be better just buying this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400466048562

Bearing in mind there's gathering all the bits I need and my valuable time installing it all. Is it worth it?

I ended up getting this bundle from CPC - http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi-b-kit1/raspberry-pi-model-b-basic-starter/dp/SC12764.

Although i suspect if your sourced the bits separately off eBay, you could save a bit.
Dom

14th May 13 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Mouse-Wireless-Keyboard-IR-Remote-for-MK802-MK808-Android-TV-BOX-PC-CN82-/251273213174?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice&hash=item3a810cf4f6

Thats looks really cool

Just a bluetooth remote. Not every remote works with RPi but there are forums and a huge wiki that'll probably confirm what remotes do and don't (as well as other hardware).

Harmony remotes are doable although you're going to either need a USB IR receiver or you can knock one up (it's just a IR diode; quid or two from Maplin) and use the GPIO pins on the RPi board but you have to get the correct frequency diode for the remote.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll