corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Netflix around the house

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Netflix around the house
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th May 13 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
He never mentioned power consumption
I just went ahead an assumed he was going to actually turn it on.

[Edited on 14-05-2013 by Balling]

Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS3's funny, good one.
quote:
Or this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-4-0-TV-Box-Media-Player-Google-Smart-TV-HD-1080P-HDMI-WIFI-1-2Ghz-CPU-/121108887085?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Internet_TV_Media_Streamers&hash=item1c32a6f62d

I know I said cheapest, but I probably should've said something that performs ok when in use, etc. Is this one actually decent? I'd steered away from them because they look like cheap china things.

Would it be able to stream movies over network without need for additional software? i.e. it could just connecto a NAS?
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just run somehting like this...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.free&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ic3BsYXllci5ic3BhbmRyb2lkLmZyZWUiXQ..
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
He never mentioned power consumption
I just went ahead an assumed he was going to actually turn it on.

You on your period again?
Dom

14th May 13 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
PS3's funny, good one.
quote:
Or this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-4-0-TV-Box-Media-Player-Google-Smart-TV-HD-1080P-HDMI-WIFI-1-2Ghz-CPU-/121108887085?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Internet_TV_Media_Streamers&hash=item1c32a6f62d

I know I said cheapest, but I probably should've said something that performs ok when in use, etc. Is this one actually decent? I'd steered away from them because they look like cheap china things.

Would it be able to stream movies over network without need for additional software? i.e. it could just connecto a NAS?

You'd be better off installing (Android) XBMC on it and going that route.
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I appreciate the suggestions guys, but really I'm after something out of the box that ticks all the boxes, no messing involved.
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does apple TV fit the bill?
A2H GO

14th May 13 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good one, can't believe nobody has mentioned that yet.
Balling
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You on your period again?
I was making a valid point!

Balling
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Not without jailbreaking (ie buying an expensive 2nd hand unit), unfortunately.

Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Well maybe, but people say it's shit unless it's jailbroken which would mean I was having to mess. I have no experience of it.
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy one jailbroken? But i guess thats not exactly cheap then.

Looks like your fucked Brett.
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, lets say I was prepared to mess. Would one of those android boxes with XBMC tick all my criteria? I just want to be able to watch all on demand stuff and stream movies from a NAS, can't be that much to ask for.
Dom

14th May 13 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I appreciate the suggestions guys, but really I'm after something out of the box that ticks all the boxes, no messing involved.

If you want all of the catchup services and something plug 'n' play then it's either BT Vision, Youview or PS3 (iirc it does all of them).

Otherwise it's either going to various streamers that do some of the services or streamers that require hacking around to install addons/plugins for the services.

Edit - Might be worth looking at some of the 'Smart' blu-ray players, a lot of those do catchup services.

[Edited on 14-05-2013 by Dom]
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have some built into the TV anyway, but I just want one glorified box that can do everything, save me changing channel

Would an android box with XBMC do everything I'm after, dom?
Balling
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
PS3's funny, good one.
Why would that be completely out of the question?

Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
PS3's funny, good one.
Why would that be completely out of the question?

I wouldn't want people thinking I was into Playstations, xbox fanboy to the grave mate. They're hardly cheap anyway and the very old fat ones are just monstrosities.
Dom

14th May 13 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ok, lets say I was prepared to mess. Would one of those android boxes with XBMC tick all my criteria? I just want to be able to watch all on demand stuff and stream movies from a NAS, can't be that much to ask for.

XBMC, on any hardware, will do what you want. However, whilst it's great for streaming media off NAS boxes (you get all the cover-flow stuff for films, music etc - THIS) and plugins (so iPlayer, 4OD, Demand 5, ITV Player, IceFilms etc) work well, UI for the plugins is a bit naff (iPlayer Example).
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That iPlayer doesn't look too bad, I could handle that no probs. Movie cover thing I have seen before, but forgot how sexy it looks. I think I want this.

If I order one of those shitty looking android things it'll deffo be capable of running XBMC and doing the business without it lagging or being homo right? Also, I jsut know you'll know the perfect guide for me Dom, could you post a link please
Dom

14th May 13 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Never tried XBMC app on Android although it does have it's advantages in that you'll get the Android environment and access to Android apps, so a decent browser etc. But i've never found Android on a big screen to be that nice to navigate around - feels more like a computer than a media system.

XBMC on dedicated hardware, Apple TV or RPi etc, feels more like a media streamer/player. Currently i use a RPi, it boots straight into XBMC and i can either use my phone as a remote or my TV remote can control it (via CEC; newer TV's will support this). As mentioned my main gripe with XBMC is the UI of plugins, it's a bit clunky. And on my RPi it gets a little laggy for a split second once in a blue moon when flicking through films with coverflow on. But for £25 you can't really grumble.

[Edited on 14-05-2013 by Dom]
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How'd you put XBMC on an android jobby? Not seen that before.
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, actually one more thing, are these little devices silent in operation? I don't want some stupidly loud fan going all the time like the PS3 or my current PC has.
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have thught the android OS would be capable of doing whatever you want by merely downloading the apps from the play Store same as on your phone
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Never tried XBMC app on Android although it does have it's advantages in that you'll get the Android environment and access to Android apps, so a decent browser etc. But i've never found Android on a big screen to be that nice to navigate around - feels more like a computer than a media system.

XBMC on dedicated hardware, Apple TV or RPi etc, feels more like a media streamer/player. Currently i use a RPi, it boots straight into XBMC and i can either use my phone as a remote or my TV remote can control it (via CEC; newer TV's will support this). As mentioned my main gripe with XBMC is the UI of plugins, it's a bit clunky. And on my RPi it gets a little laggy for a split second once in a blue moon when flicking through films with coverflow on. But for £25 you can't really grumble.

Talk about curve balls Dom I thought we were all agreed that piece of shit Gary posted could handle it?

Right, so should I get a RPi?

[Edited on 14-05-2013 by Brett]
Balling
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RPi doesn't do Netflix though.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll