corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Netflix around the house

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Netflix around the house
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th May 13 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brett's head is 100% going to explode here
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
RPi doesn't do Netflix though.

I just added that cause it was a Netflix thread, didn't want to be a cunt. Fuck paying for Netflix

[Edited on 14-05-2013 by Brett]
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and is the RPi quiet too? I really really really don't want any fans annoying me.
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

super quiet fan?
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the RPi? You're kidding right?
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was a question, not a statment. The Pi has no fan but i guess if you gave it some shit it may need one. Dom will know no doubt
Dom

14th May 13 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
How'd you put XBMC on an android jobby? Not seen that before.

You essentially side-load it, like you do with 'five finger discount' apps - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_for_Android.

Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

You essentially side-load it, like you do with 'five finger discount' apps - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_for_Android.

Wow, i wasn't expecting it to be that easy
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It was a question, not a statment. The Pi has no fan but i guess if you gave it some shit it may need one. Dom will know no doubt

Yeah I know it was a question, it baffled me since I didn't think it had/needed a fan. Made me think I had to start buying shit like that seperate and have some monsterous device with wires and fans everywhere making the place look untidy.
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

What is it that gives the network streaming capability to use a NAS? Is it XBMC that does that? I'm a little confused on whether to get a RPi and install XBMC or the android shitter with XBMC app.
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Android shitter with XBMC.

Phone is not running it and its very quick!
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Phone is not running it and its very quick!

how can you tell if your phone isn't running it?
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now*
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

So would you still install addons for the on-demand within XBMC?
Gary
Premium Member

Guessing this is the bit you'd need Brett?

Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

God knows, don't have a NAS
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:

So would you still install addons for the on-demand within XBMC?

Yeah but its a piece of piss. I managed to do it in 2 mins
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, s'pose if you can do it then i'd have no trouble.

I'm a click away from buying one of those android things, except a RPi is appealing to me.

I take it when I booted the android shitter then i'd have to click on the XBMC app to start that, where as an RPi would boot straight into XBMC?
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What it is, is I currently have a PC that pretty much does everything on the TV downstairs, but it pisses me off and I want to burn it on a bonfire. I want to update things, do away with PCs and just have a large capacity NAS that can feed the house with movies/music and some kind of device attached to the TVs that will do everything.

The next dilemma is an IP camera DVR. I'm assuming an Android/RPi couldn't record cameras at the same time. Too much to ask?

[Edited on 14-05-2013 by Brett]
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't find iPlayer on the XBMC add ons, i guess youd have to use the android iPlayer app.
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The next dilemma is an IP camera DVR. I'm assuming an Android/RPi couldn't record cameras at the same time. Too much to ask?

Yeah i reckon so A cheapo DVR will be able to be accessed via a android app though
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Can't find iPlayer on the XBMC add ons, i guess youd have to use the android iPlayer app.

That makes it a little shit tbh. Is that because it's not supported on the android version yet, since Dom has shown that it's available for XBMC already?
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah i reckon so A cheapo DVR will be able to be accessed via a android app though

Struggling to find a cheapo DVR tbh.
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
since Dom has shown that it's available for XBMC already?

Must be available, just wasnt in the list i looked in.
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye it is. Just need to download the repo and install it that way

https://code.google.com/p/xbmc-iplayerv2/
Dom

14th May 13 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Would an android box with XBMC do everything I'm after, dom?

Never tried XBMC app on Android although it does have it's advantages in that you'll get the Android environment and access to Android apps, so a decent browser etc. But i've never found Android on a big screen to be that nice to navigate around - feels more like a computer than a media system.

XBMC on dedicated hardware, Apple TV or RPi etc, feels more like a media streamer/player. Currently i use a RPi, it boots straight into XBMC and i can either use my phone as a remote or my TV remote can control it (via CEC; newer TV's will support this). As mentioned my main gripe with XBMC is the UI of plugins, it's a bit clunky. And on my RPi it gets a little laggy for a split second once in a blue moon when flicking through films with coverflow on. But for £25 you can't really grumble.

Talk about curve balls Dom I thought we were all agreed that piece of shit Gary posted could handle it?

Right, so should I get a RPi?

The Android media player will be the same as connecting your Android phone to your TV. Lots of advantages as you get access to the Android environment and apps, however i personally think it's a bit clunky to use in terms of controlling (i've only briefly used one with a mouse and keyboard setup) although i believe some of these Android media players support CEC so you can use your TV remote (that's if your tv supports CEC).
Once you've clicked on the XBMC icon and XBMC is running, then it'll be (i assume; as said i've never used XBMC on Android) the same as XBMC running on any other device/hardware.

With an RPi, XBMC is essentially the whole OS (technically it's not, debian is the OS and XBMC application runs on startup but anyway) - so switch it on and you boot straight into XBMC environment.
RPi advantages as a XBMC streamer is that it's cheap (or can be), it has no fans and therefore silent and it uses bugger all power (i've seen 5W during playback a few times, usually it's about 2-3W).
Disadvantages is that it can be a little gutless and you might notice the odd stutter when browsing media via coverflow. You can quite easily overclock them which is what i've done and it 'fixes' a lot of the issues. And if you have a lot of MPEG2 rips then you'll need to purchase a license key for the codec (believe it's £2 from Raspberry Pi website).
Oh and as Balling mentioned, there's no Silverlight support for linux (and i doubt there ever will be) so you're shit out of luck if you want LoveFilm or Netflix.

What you need if you want a RPi is -
# RPi Board - ~£25 from CPC, Farnell, Maplin, RS components
# 5V 1A+ Micro USB adaptor - essentially a phone charger, most people have a spare if not then it's a few quid off eBay.
# 4GB+ SD card - again a few quid if you haven't got one lying around.
# Case (Optional) - Few quid off eBay, official ones are around £5-10.
# Heatsink (Optional) - Couple of quid off eBay, worth getting if you plan to overclock it.

Installing is just a case of going to Raspbmc.com, download the installer, run the installer with the SD card in your machine and selected as the target destination. Once the SD card is imaged, stick it in the RPi and let it do it's thing.
After about 5 minutes you'll be in XBMC and then it's customisation and installing any plugins from there on.

[Edited on 14-05-2013 by Dom]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll