corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Netflix around the house

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Netflix around the house
WATSON

User status: Offline
13th May 13 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there anything out there that I can use to stream netflix around the house, something plug and play ideally.

Need it to be working in both bedrooms without any wires involved if possible .
Balling
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of newer TV's have direct access to Netflix.
Most media boxes like AppleTV do too.

Brett
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 14:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

xbox would also do the job
WATSON

13th May 13 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plasma in our sons bedroom has no option for netflix (tv is around 5 years old mind you)

Our bedroom tv hasn't arrived yet but i cant remember seen anything about netflix mentioned.

Had a quick look at the apple TV seems quite a lot of money to spend just to watch netflix now and again in bed
Balling
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Raspberry Pi might be a solution then. Will have to wait for John or Dom as I'm not clued up on that at all.

Dom

13th May 13 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Raspberry Pi might be a solution then. Will have to wait for John or Dom as I'm not clued up on that at all.

A RPi won't help unfortunately as there is no Silverlight (Microsoft's equivalent of Adobe's Flash) support on linux systems and i can't see it happening any time soon (i doubt it'll ever be available for ARM processors).

Only option if your TV doesn't support Netflix is a console, HTPC/PC or a streamer (something like a WDTV or Philips player support Netflix; still around £50 per box though).

[Edited on 13-05-2013 by Dom]
Russ

13th May 13 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2nd hand xbox for £50, sorted
LeeM

13th May 13 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
2nd hand xbox for £50, sorted

and then xbox live on top for netflix isnt it? id rather a second hand apple tv for £80. again, my justfcation for a lot of apple gadgets is that if you find you dont use it enough you can sell it for 75+% of what you paid
dava.

13th May 13 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use a roku box for netflix down stairs otherwise its used via xbox, just look about for media streamers that supports netflix
John

13th May 13 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£80 would be better spent sending the first TV back and adding it to get one that has it built in. That doesn't sort the problem with the TV which doesn't have it though.

I read something recently about netflix beginning to trial html5 so should eventually move away from silverlight and it'll work on things like the rpi.
LeeM

13th May 13 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
£80 would be better spent sending the first TV back and adding it to get one that has it built in. That doesn't sort the problem with the TV which doesn't have it though.

if thats an option, its a good one.
apple tv is easier to move from one telly to another than an xbox as well, if only one device is being purchased for 2 tv's
Dom

13th May 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I read something recently about netflix beginning to trial html5 so should eventually move away from silverlight and it'll work on things like the rpi.

Only when DRM (via one of the three proposed frameworks) makes it into the HTML 5 standards and that's a fair few years away yet if (EFF certainly don't want it) it is to happen.

LeeM - Not convinced an Apple TV 3 is the way to go. Unless it becomes jailbroken, then it'll only lose money. Plus you can purchased a new and better capable streamer for 30 quid cheaper than a secondhand Apple TV 3.

quote:
Originally posted by dava.
use a roku box for netflix down stairs otherwise its used via xbox, just look about for media streamers that supports netflix

Roku could be a good option, although they're still £30/40 secondhand which isn't much of a saving over a Philips streamer.

[Edited on 13-05-2013 by Dom]
LeeM

13th May 13 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

afraid i cant comment on anything beyond the 2 i comparing, ill let the rest of you do that!
Dom

13th May 13 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
afraid i cant comment on anything beyond the 2 i comparing, ill let the rest of you do that!

Most Gen 2's tend to go for a lot, lot more than £80 on the bay (due to JB). Was keeping an eye on a few a few weeks back and most of them went for around £120-140
LeeM

13th May 13 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah, got offered one a while back by someone who didnt really follow the scene. was just selling cheap to buy an tv3 but i was skint
ed

13th May 13 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But we're talking about Netflix, it does that out the box so Jailbreaking is irrelevant. Either way, if you're not needing Airplay or anything else that an ATV offers then you can grab one of several streamers out there which will do the job - how about a Roku for half the price?
WATSON

13th May 13 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its only really needed for netflix, I did see the Roku over on amazon and so far its ticking all the box's and its also wireless too. I cant run any cables hence why it needs to be wireless too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-2400EU-Receiver-Set-Top-Box/dp/B006VTASUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368471654&sr=8-2&keywords=Roku

Also not bothered if its 1080p as its only for our bedroom and my son aswell.
ed

14th May 13 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you end up seeing something that does need a wired connection, I can't recommend these powerline adaptors enough:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networking/networking/powerline-home-networking/tp-link-tl-pa251kit-200-mbps-powerline-adapter-kit-16842020-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~Home+%2f+Networking+%2f+Networking+%2f+Powerline+Home+Networking~16842020

Saying that though, the cost of those plus a streamer wouldn't make a lot of sense seeing as there are a lot of WiFi versions in the £100 bracket.
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a set of these, same price(ish) but 500mbps, no pass through though

http://www.maplin.co.uk/tp-link-av500-500mbps-mini-powerline-adapter-kit-636021

[Edited on 14-05-2013 by Brett]
dava.

14th May 13 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by WATSON
Its only really needed for netflix, I did see the Roku over on amazon and so far its ticking all the box's and its also wireless too. I cant run any cables hence why it needs to be wireless too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-2400EU-Receiver-Set-Top-Box/dp/B006VTASUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368471654&sr=8-2&keywords=Roku

Also not bothered if its 1080p as its only for our bedroom and my son aswell.

thats what i bought for my old man so he can watch netflix via it, he seems to be able to work it with out any hassle and he aint tech savvy etc so must be pretty simple and easy to use, i aint mucked about with it much but he says they are all ways adding new channels etc and alot of them are free, i cant grumble about it at all but cant overly recommend it ethier being that its not me that uses it
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excuse the highjack, but can anyone recommend the cheapest media box that can do everything Netflix, iplayer, itvplayer, 4od, network streaming, the works. Will buy one now. Cheers
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2nd hand ps3?
Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-4-0-TV-Box-Media-Player-Google-Smart-TV-HD-1080P-HDMI-WIFI-1-2Ghz-CPU-/121108887085?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Internet_TV_Media_Streamers&hash=item1c32a6f62d
Balling
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
2nd hand ps3?
Taking power consumption in to account that'll probably prove to be the most expensive solution within a year of average use.

Gary
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He never mentioned power consumption

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll