corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » LB650V Lg TV / Jambos Home Cinema Thread ** Bluray player needed**

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LB650V Lg TV / Jambos Home Cinema Thread ** Bluray player needed**
Jambo

User status: Offline
20th Nov 14 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Debating upgrading my 2008 vintage LCD LG Scarlet for one of these in 47-55" flavour.

currently have a 42" LG Scarlett in LCD format which is fine, but not a Smart TV and is quite jerky when required to do tracking shots by a film or TV series. It is also very dull, presumably because its not backlit in the same way as modern stuff is.

Not really got a budget in mind but wouldnt mind a dabble with 3D and a larger viewing screen, currently my TV has a rather large (By modern standards) bezel and base. So I think I could get away with a 55" without even making a difference to physical space occupied....

Had a look online and found only positive things. Says WebOS is great (not sure I would use this much) but blacks arent as high contrast as they could be. I am guessing this is down to being edge LED lit like most in this price bracket.

So question is, any reason I shouldnt go for this? Been dead impressed with my current LG so wouldn't mind another. Heard that Panasonic stuff works well with iOS devices.... Might be worth a look?

What do you guys recommend?

I enjoys mainly films and TV series, don't really watch TV (Walking dead and Top Gear aside) so really it will power Netflix, Bluray player and Xbox360...

Alternaties and suggestions welcome

[Edited on 01-12-2014 by Jambo]

[Edited on 27-12-2014 by Jambo]

[Edited on 05-01-2015 by Jambo]
Balling
Premium Member

21st Nov 14 at 05:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Regarding 3D, remember LG use passive 3D, which is superior to active 3D in almost every way, except that it runs at half vertical resolution.

In other words, it looks shit compared to Full HD 3D as you get with active 3D.

On the other hand, I'm yet to see stutter free 3D on an LCD panel, so right now it seems there's just not any good options on the market.

That said, manufacturing of 3D films and games has mostly stopped at present anyway.

I've mostly given up on following the TV market since plasma was killed. Every new screen I see is vastly inferior to my 2011 Samsung plasma. It's a joke.
This leads me to your motion stutter issue. Get used to it, all LCD panels have it.

As a general observation, I'll say this. LG TV's imo are popular as you seem to get a lot for your money. Truth is, they've always had inferior image quality to Samsung and Sony, but just boost the feature list to compensate.

Remember, installing clever software is an easy solution to compensate for a shitty panel.

Also, avoid user reviews. People who say "I have this TV and it's great" likely don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Everybody thinks they're an expert once they've bought a TV.

Samsung have and always have had the best out of box image calibration, which is the main reason I'd be looking at their screens. But go watch some screens irl and watch out for your motion stutter issue. Preferably, bring your own film and ask for it to be shown. It's easier to evaluate image quality with a point of reference.

BarnshaW

21st Nov 14 at 06:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know who LG use to make their panels Balling? some of your points above are just opinions and not facts, Samsung are the ones whom are generally known within the market to have the "boosted feature list" and highly saturated colors so they look good on display.

LG sets by most retailers now are better and generate more interest, Samsung TV's are questionably more stylish albeit not so much anymore.

The motion stutter issue is again less apparent now, I have a 2013 LG LED set without, plays sports and moving objects perfectly without any issues, most sets Samsung/LG have stupid features which in fact make motion blur/stutter worse, you can turn them off in most cases and improve it massively.

3D is still a gimmick, I would rather be looking to spend maybe a bit more for UHD or similar at this stage, also wait until Xmas Jambo, Currys/Richer Sounds always do some amazing deals around then and just after.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Nov 14 at 07:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barnshaws going ape shit
BarnshaW

21st Nov 14 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope, just sharing my own points, no beef, Balling is right though regarding not going in on whats simply on display in shops, thing is 99% of people will and are happy to have units with ridiculously vivid colors that are on display as to them it looks good, most people dont even play with the picture modes and settings when they get them back or know enough about the capability of the set to get the best image quality out of it.
Jambo

21st Nov 14 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3D over then? Reckon it's worth hanging on for a 4K TV then? Price for LG 47 is £570 and the 55" is £750. That's a pretty good deal.

As for Samsung, I would not touch with a barge pole. It took a long time for me to look for this TV back in 2008 and it was superior to pretty much every Samsung. The contrast ratios where terrible and most where vastly under specced but stuck in a pretty frame and a 100hz sticker so people thought they where getting a good deal. The panels where terrible. Aside from this, years of working with mobile phones and being the owner of a Samsung home cinema system I can guarantee I never have a desire to own anything made by Samsung ever again. Cheap tat.

LG make cheap stuff too, but at least it's decent quality! My TV has been faultless since I have had it, packed with features not found back then like 4HDMI ports and 100hz etc.

I'm not after spending £2500 odd on a TV, just fancy a bigger better quality panel with some new features.

Bummer about the LCD tracking then. Not noticeable at all on my old mans Panasonic Plasma but it doesn't have the deep blues and reds like mine does.. Swings and roundabouts maybe.

Is 3D likely to be killed off then? Or just a feature that is auto included in packages in the future. I.e do 4K TVs come 3D ready?
Balling
Premium Member

21st Nov 14 at 08:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
Do you know who LG use to make their panels Balling?
No clue. Doesn't matter.

"Better" isn't stutter free. You might be happy with your LG's performance, and rightly so. Most people don't have an issue with motion stutter or know what to look for, hence inferior LCD screens becoming the norm in the first place.

James mentioned stutter as one of the reasons for wanting a change, and I found it worth mentioning that it's still an issue to this day.
How big an issue it genuinely is, is up to him to decide.

I'm not recommending Samsung based on their store settings, but on their movie setting, which based on every professional review I've ever read is superior to any standard setting on almost all competitors. This is based on measurements, not some guys opinion on the TV he owns.
Samsung have also always been first with better and more advanced calibration options.

LG generating more interest doesn't make them better.

As I mentioned, I haven't followed the TV market for a while, so might be things have changed completely, but from my experience it hardly ever does.

Munchie

21st Nov 14 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Men- is this TV any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/lg-42ub820v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-42-led-tv-10029078-pdt.html
Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 14 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Barnshaws going ape shit

ffs
Jambo

21st Nov 14 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't profess to know much about calibration, but a contrast ratio is fixed, no matter how you calibrate it, so at the time Samsungs alternatives where poor.

I calibrated my stuff myself, with no tools other than watching various stuff and assigning more/less contrast, brightness, turning 100hz on/off etc.. Had that ability to do that for each HDMI input so that suited me. I am no ultra expert with this stuff.

Plasma's do not suffer with the jerky motion, much more fluid. Shame really as not many seem to offer these much?

Will have to try some in IRL and see if the stutter is that bad. Is this true with OLED tv's also?

DaveyLC

21st Nov 14 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

3D is still a gimmick, I would rather be looking to spend maybe a bit more for UHD or similar at this stage, also wait until Xmas Jambo, Currys/Richer Sounds always do some amazing deals around then and just after.

I sort of agree, while the 3D feature on a decent TV is pretty mind-blowing with the right sort of footage (try watching some of the demos involving a drill & chainsaw, it will make you flintch) sadly there are very few scenes in movies that require someone to be pointing or throwing an object at the audience so generally 3D movies are a waste of time

Dom

21st Nov 14 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC, the 670V (it's aimed at the EU market rather than UK i believe) has a 200Hz panel and a few other picture quality tweaks over the 650; might be worth looking at that instead, especially as the 42" can be had for £400.

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Samsung plasma.

Surprised you went with a Samsung as the Panasonic *T30 series generally offered the better overall picture quality (certainly the blacks were better, as well as input lag); although arguable the Samsung's tended to be (very) marginally better with colour accuracy and everything was stuffed in better designed casing.
It's all opinions though.....

quote:
3D is still a gimmick....

100% this; i've yet to watch anything that looked jaw-dropping amazing in 3D - even Avatar

If you have to get it then i'm with Balling in that passive is marginally better (saying that Sony's active setup didn't seem too bad), although you have to deal with half-resolution and a darkened picture.

[Edited on 21-11-2014 by Dom]
Jambo

21st Nov 14 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the info Dom. I Saw a review for the 670 as I didn't read the title and see the small difference.

What would be the "best" TV on the market that people would recommend?
Dom

21st Nov 14 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo

For picture quality, either a secondhand Kuro or see if you can get your hands on a ZT65.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st Nov 14 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want a new TV. I've researched and decided what I want but it's not a great time of year to part with the cash lol. At the moment this is my favourite. Great reviews everywhere and I liked it in real life. Downside is it's an older model now.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue48h6400/sams-ue48h6400

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Nov 14 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
everything was stuffed in better designed casing.
That would be my main reason. The 7-series plasma was a steal at the time I bought it. No better package for the money.

Jambo

22nd Nov 14 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And what about a new BluRay player?

They seem uber cheap now. So long as it is DTS HD and the other one, thats pretty much all the features I would need. WiFi would be nice for updates etc, but I suppose these are all done via USB otherwise.

Specs needed:

BluRay-DVD (upscaled) player
Nice to have playing from USB also.
HD Surround
3D (passive?) capability

Don't really need anything else? Just relaibility really.

Oh and not made by samsung
Dom

22nd Nov 14 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An Oppo would be the 'reference'/'best' due to the no/minimal processing on the signal-chain, otherwise i'd opt for a Sony or Panasonic (personal preference). Although tbf, they're all much alike in the £80-140 price range.
Jambo

22nd Nov 14 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen for the £80-100 that its either between Sorny or Panaphonics.

The £80 Sony is great but has no front display and the £80 Panasonic has no 2d/3d converter. Then they jump up to £150 lol.
Cavey

22nd Nov 14 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a PS3 haven't you Jambo? Optical to amp/surround sound? They do upscaling and 3D upgrade I think?
Dom

22nd Nov 14 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
...no 2d/3d converter...

Wouldn't waste your time on 2D to 3D conversion as, understandably, it always looks absolutely bollocks; most 3D TV's have some 2D->3D mode anyway.

Edit - A PS3 is a good shout as well.

[Edited on 22-11-2014 by Dom]
Jambo

22nd Nov 14 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The LG I am looking at (TV) has 2D/3D ability, hmmm ok well maybe the Panasonic is winning! £74 cheapest so far, not bad at all. Dislike the usb slot on the front but it is practical I guess.

DMT-BD260
Jambo

22nd Nov 14 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No PS3 here just a 360!
p

22nd Nov 14 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IOQ5XCW/ref=asc_df_B00IOQ5XCW20495936?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=reevoocom-21&linkCode=df0&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00IOQ5XCW

I got this fella. Can't moan so far.
Balling
Premium Member

24th Nov 14 at 07:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That's the really sad thing, right now TV's aren't as good as they were just a few years ago.

As Dom mentions, you'll find better TV's on the second hand market than on store shelves.

OLED is currently the most promising prospect, but unfortunately we're not there yet.

First (and possibly worst) of all, manufacturers are currently insisting on making curved panels, because they can. Besides decreasing viewing angle, this results in the image having an uneven height, unless you sit exactly in the sweet spot at the centre of the TV's curve.

Motion and colour reproduction seems to be common OLED issues as well.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll