corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Bluray-> PC -> Home Cinema

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bluray-> PC -> Home Cinema
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Dec 09 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few months ago I made a post asking how I could get multiple sound inputs into my crappy all in one surround sound kit. xaos posted a nice cheap method iirc, but I totally ignored such advice and blew my christmas bonus (and then some) on an entry level 5.1 home cinema setup instead...

I settled for the following:

Onkyo 507 AV Receiver/Amp
Gale Gold Monitor fronts
Wharfedale Diamond 9 rears
Wharfedale Centre

(no sub yet, still shopping around for one...)

Now my PC is situated in a similar area to where the rears have been wired to, so I figured whilst sorting trunking and drilling holes - I might aswell run my PC into the amp aswell using a DVI to HDMI adapter, and using a digital coax cable for sound.

Assuming this is the most efficient way of sending sound/video to my TV - I should be able to view my 'acquired' 1080p films on the TV, but I was also considering buying a bluray optical drive for the PC rather than a stand alone bluray player. This could save me around £50, but are there any downsides to doing this rather than buying a stand alone? Real estate is a little tough to come by on my TV unit, so getting a player in the PC would be preferred from that point of view.

Regarding software, will stuff like VLC be fine for watching the BR films - or would it be worth spending some cash on software?

I'll happily buy a standalone if using the PC risks any sacrifice to viewing pleasure, but for reasons mentioned above - getting an optical drive in the PC is the preferred choice.

Cheers

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
noshua

29th Dec 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't comment on any of the hardware but as for playing blu-ray films you can use 'media player classic' or PowerDVD. Both are more stable than VLC for blu-ray.
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Dec 09 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
I can't comment on any of the hardware but as for playing blu-ray films you can use 'media player classic' or PowerDVD. Both are more stable than VLC for blu-ray.

Ah sweet, MP Classic comes with the K-Lite stuff if I remember right?

Will I have any trouble sending DTS/Dolby to my AV receiver, or should it transmit down the digital coax without problem?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
noshua

29th Dec 09 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like I said, I don't know anything about home cinema mate, sorry! Someone else should be able to advise you though.

MediaPlayerClassic doesn't come with any codec as far as I know - I think MediaPlayerClassic HC may do though.

edit: MPC is available here; http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

I have it setup with CoreAAC (click) and CoreAVC (click). CoreAVC is paid though I think, you can get it for free via the 'usual' websites.

[Edited on 29-12-2009 by noshua]
John

29th Dec 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use cccp and mpc and it passes dolby across to my amp.

Proper blu-ray's are a different matter though, loads of content protection so not sure exactly what that will pass to where.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Dec 09 at 00:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers noshua / John.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rob R

30th Dec 09 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Richer Sounds are doing the Sony BDP 3360 standalone blu-ray player for £79 at the moment. If for whatever reason you wanted to watch a blu-ray in another reason it's a bit easier to move a single player compared to your whole pc
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Dec 09 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah saw that when I went to pickup my amp/speakers - bargain, just need to find room for one in my unit

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll