corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Which home cinema system for under 1k?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Which home cinema system for under 1k?
Bart

User status: Offline
18th Jan 09 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking to purchase a home cinema system to compliment my tv and sky hd units. I'm not looking for anything bulky, just simple yet powerful for the money. Anyone have any recommendations?
ash_corsa

19th Jan 09 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
I'm looking to purchase a home cinema system to compliment my tv and sky hd units. I'm not looking for anything bulky, just simple yet powerful for the money. Anyone have any recommendations?

We've got some Monitor Audio speaker packages at half the RRP at the mo, they're silly prices.
Monitor Audio kit is amazing, you seriously wouldn't beat it for the money.
Couple one of THESE up to something like a Denon AVR-1909 and you will be stunned.

PM me if your intrested
smack

19th Jan 09 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got this for £160 - http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5320463/Samsung-HT-TZ315R-1000-Watt-5-1-Channel-Home-Cinema-System-With-Tallboy-Speakers-Bluetooth-Connectivity/Product.html

carnt fault it at all. 1k is alot to spend on something like that?
Dom

19th Jan 09 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best bet is to get over onto Avforums and ask on there, plus spending that sort of cash it actually might be worth demo'ing the gear before purchasing - local hifi shops (eg seven oaks) might be able to do deals.
Bart

19th Jan 09 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
best bet is to get over onto Avforums and ask on there, plus spending that sort of cash it actually might be worth demo'ing the gear before purchasing - local hifi shops (eg seven oaks) might be able to do deals.

Going to do exactly that, its so hard, ive been twoing and throwing what o do.
Im going to wait till the 'What Hifi?' AV exhibition is on at Bristol shortly. I will demo the gear before buying.

I've just ordered a new pioneer KRP-500A (top of the range jobby) 50" plasma.
The misses is going to go nuts! when she see's it. I saw a similar model in currys (i know i know), which was whe LX5090 and it was immense. I cant find a single bad review on the Kuros, they really are dominating the market in terms of quality.
deano87

19th Jan 09 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We got a full Panasonic set up a few years ago, including Viera LCD TV, DVD Surround Sound and DVD Freeview Recorder. Nothing has gone wrong and can't fault it.

So yeah, I recommend Panasonic
Pablo

19th Jan 09 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=KEF-KHT2005.3-HG-BLK

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=ONKY-TXSR806-SIL

Will kick the ass of anything else for same money IMO
Tim
Site Administrator

19th Jan 09 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.petertyson.co.uk

Good prices/service. I bought my Linn's online after a local demo -- bit cheeky I know but they couldn't match the price. Why pay more??

[Edited on 19-01-2009 by Tim]
xa0s
Banned

21st Jan 09 at 01:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trust me on this one...

Buy an Onkyo TX-SR806 from Richer Sounds for £399.95 (fucking AMAZING price).

...and then spend £500 on KEF eggs. Very highly rated.

Spend the extra £100 on QED speaker cable. QED Silver Anniversary XT for the fronts and centre, and QED Original for the rears.

Best £1,000 you'll spend on new equipment.
xa0s
Banned

21st Jan 09 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pablo
http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=KEF-KHT2005.3-HG-BLK

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=ONKY-TXSR806-SIL

I wrote my post before I saw yours!

Do what me and this guy said -- if you're not blown away I'll give you my setup.
xa0s
Banned

21st Jan 09 at 01:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's my Onkyo TX-SR806 (in black so it cost £100 more than silver):

[Edited on 21-01-2009 by xa0s]
ssj_kakarot

21st Jan 09 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the difference between the 806 and the 606? two more hdmi connections, out else?
Dav

21st Jan 09 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
quote:
Originally posted by Pablo

I wrote my post before I saw yours!

Do what me and this guy said -- if you're not blown away I'll give you my setup.
Definitely get this Onkyo and Kef setup
I have an Onkyo amp and Kef egg speakers (all be them the models below the ones shown on the links) with QED speaker cable and the sound is awesome!
Was only about £700 at the time but it's definitely the best money I've spent on AV equipment so far!
Dom

21st Jan 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally i would look at the cheaper Onkyo 805 as i think it sounds a little better and smoother, perhaps due to Burr DACs (and older/better power supply) instead of the Cirrus Logic DACs found in the 806.

Although where i think the 806 lacks a little in sound quality, it does offer the extra HDMI port, newer upscaler (could be useful), Dynamic EQ/Volume, a few other little things and 5KG lighter (a lot of that due to the change in PSU design).

Also look at the Yamaha DSPAX763 and Denon AVR1909, haven't personally heard these but both get really good write ups.

The KEFs are brilliant, but i would also have a look at the Monitor audio Rs6's, again get excellent write up's although the Gold tweeters tend to offer a slightly harsh top which works brilliantly for films but when i listened to them on a Denon sounded tiring when listening to music.

Perhaps also look at using B&W 685/686s's, could build a 5.1 setup that is similarly priced - have an 'oldschool' set of 601s bi-amped, sound brilliant here

Eitherway, get down to your local hifi-shop and get demo going of a range of gear and have a listen
xa0s
Banned

22nd Jan 09 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Personally i would look at the cheaper Onkyo 805 as i think it sounds a little better and smoother, perhaps due to Burr DACs (and older/better power supply) instead of the Cirrus Logic DACs found in the 806.

Although where i think the 806 lacks a little in sound quality, it does offer the extra HDMI port, newer upscaler (could be useful), Dynamic EQ/Volume, a few other little things and 5KG lighter (a lot of that due to the change in PSU design).

Also look at the Yamaha DSPAX763 and Denon AVR1909, haven't personally heard these but both get really good write ups.

The KEFs are brilliant, but i would also have a look at the Monitor audio Rs6's, again get excellent write up's although the Gold tweeters tend to offer a slightly harsh top which works brilliantly for films but when i listened to them on a Denon sounded tiring when listening to music.

Perhaps also look at using B&W 685/686s's, could build a 5.1 setup that is similarly priced - have an 'oldschool' set of 601s bi-amped, sound brilliant here

Eitherway, get down to your local hifi-shop and get demo going of a range of gear and have a listen

Uhm, why would Onkyo replace their 805 with a worst-sounding amp? Mine sounds amazing... I've heard both the 805 and 806 on my set-up, as I was going to buy an 805 originally -- I can't tell them apart.

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
whats the difference between the 806 and the 606? two more hdmi connections, out else?

More power, more inputs, custom source names, nicer looking, better sound, 1080p upscaling and THX certified.

Well worth it. I had a 605 originally that was practically the same as the 606, and the 806 blows it out of the water.
Toby
Premium Member

22nd Jan 09 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well worth it. I had a 605 originally that was practically the same as the 606, and the 806 blows it out of the water.

was just about to ask of there was a clear difference, i got my 606 just before christmas, was looking at the 806 in richer sounds at it is pretty for an onkyo but it is mahooosive
Dom

22nd Jan 09 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Uhm, why would Onkyo replace their 805 with a worst-sounding amp?

Technically they wouldn't hence the update features, but new technology doesn't mean better, plus it's my opinion that i prefer the sound of the Burr's over the Cirrus Logic's.
xa0s
Banned

23rd Jan 09 at 05:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
was just about to ask of there was a clear difference, i got my 606 just before christmas, was looking at the 806 in richer sounds at it is pretty for an onkyo but it is mahooosive

It's only a bit bigger!

New Poll