corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » ADSL keeps dropping *Tried the Master socket*

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ADSL keeps dropping *Tried the Master socket*
dannymccann

User status: Offline
1st May 14 at 05:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the 3 years I've been with talk talk I've had to reset various routers once maybe twice. In the jet week I've had to do it at least once a day, starting to get annoying now. Is it likely to be something my end or theirs causing it?

I've got bog standard copper broadband using their own provided D-Link ADSL/fibre router they rolled out a few months back

[Edited on 05-05-2014 by dannymccann]
pow
Premium Member

1st May 14 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried the master socket/test socket behind the front?
dannymccann

1st May 14 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you even get these in newbuild properties these days? I don't even have a hallway where it would traditionally be, I have a phone socket on each of my 3 floors, the router is plugged in on the middle floor purely for logistics of the signal being strong above and below?
Bart

1st May 14 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Do you even get these in newbuild properties these days? I don't even have a hallway where it would traditionally be, I have a phone socket on each of my 3 floors, the router is plugged in on the middle floor purely for logistics of the signal being strong above and below?

Yes, one will generally be a master.
Cavey

1st May 14 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bottom one will be the master socket, if you unscrew it and plug the router straight into the socket behind it you'll generally get a better speed.

iirc you moved in the same time I did, and i've had mine in the master socket since day 1, was getting less than 1mb when it was plugged in normally, took off the front panel and get 2.5-3mb now.

Obviously the other sockets don't work now, but we've got wireless phones anyway so doesn't matter

[Edited on 01-05-2014 by Cavey]
oceansoul

1st May 14 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As its a new build you might have one of the new external NTE boxes. The 'old' nte5 master socket is what people are referring to, that's the box with a split near the top and a test socket in the back. The new external one has a test socket inside. By removing the yellow piece I believe. This disconnects all customer side wiring.

[Edited on 01-05-2014 by oceansoul]
dannymccann

2nd May 14 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No nothing like that oceansoul, just bog standard face plates. I'll try the bottom floor socket then. Dropped again a couple of hours ago again, thanks guys
dannymccann

5th May 14 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So yea, tried the master socket, slight improvement in speed but no better on reliability, still woke up to a dropped connection this morning, but I know it was working at midnight because my podcasts updated themselves (only works on WiFi).

So is next step going to Talk Talk / Openreach?

Thx
pow
Premium Member

5th May 14 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you not have an NTE 5 socket?
dannymccann

6th May 14 at 05:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes from looking at a picture of an NTE5 socket on Wikipedia that's what I have. I unscrewed the bottom half and plugged the DSL filter into the test socket which then feeds the router and landline
John

6th May 14 at 06:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leave it plugged into that socket with the phone unplugged and no filter.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

6th May 14 at 08:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its strange that you have to keep resetting the routers, generally speaking most routers should attempt to get the ppp session back up if there is a disconnection. Perhaps look at the stats on your router? Can you even access your router when the 'Internet is down' ? Could be that the router is crashing and thats what you are experiencing.

FYI at home I get disconnections here and there but my router will continue to reconnect until it succeeds or is turned off.

[Edited on 06-05-2014 by willay]
pow
Premium Member

6th May 14 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Echo John, use that socket and just try a different router. If not then it's not your problem
dannymccann

6th May 14 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure how to connect the router to the socket without a filter, it's got a smaller connecting head? The router is still accessible through 192.168 etc when the internet is gone, and if I reboot it through the page it all works fine again for 12 hours. It did have some weird connection time out thing of 30 minutes but I took that off and didn't change anything. That's the only modification to the settings I have made since I plugged the router in several months ago

I'm going to try my trusty old DG834G when I get home and see if that helps, I've had that badboy for about 10 years now I think and it always comes to the rescue
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

6th May 14 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a RJ11 to 'BT Plug' cable like this

http://www.cablesdirect.co.uk/product-catalogue/search/2/RJ11---BT-Plug-2-Wire-Modem-Cable---5-Mtrs/BT-205W
John

6th May 14 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your phone will probably have the cable you need.

If not, just use another filter, basically so the filter can be ruled out.

If it still does it after that it'll be a line fault.
Steve
Premium Member

6th May 14 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love u John but no
dannymccann

9th May 14 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not managed to dig the old router out yet, and left everything plugged in as before and I've had no drops since the 7th...I'm thinking it was a line issue and it's now sorted
John

9th May 14 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Often is a line issue but you need to 100% rule out any other possible cause before bothering to phone any provider.

New Poll