corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Infinity Install

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Infinity Install
ed

User status: Offline
4th Nov 12 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having BT Infinity installed on Friday and have so far managed to deduce that they change the main faceplate and fit a modem which you plug the router into. Could anyone who's got it installed shed some light on something for me please? Was just wondering if all the hardware needs to be connected to the main socket or can it be connected to a secondary one? Our main socket is in the hallway and it would be a bit annoying to have to have the router in there due to space, I'd rather have everything in my living room and don't want/can't have external cables routed about the place.
Gary
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cdn.cupofcoffee.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/DSC_00331.jpg

Just fit that bud.
Tiesto

4th Nov 12 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When we had it installed the engineer managed to install it on our secondary socket, think he managed to switch it around somehow. Ours is a modern house so not sure if that makes a difference though.
ed

4th Nov 12 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's good to hear - after a bit of digging I found a bit that says you can't have it fitted to a secondary socket because the cable is often not good enough. But as my place is pretty new I might be in luck like you.
noshua

4th Nov 12 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if this is relevant but we had Sky Fibre (re-sold Infinity isn't it?) installed a couple months ago. Strangely, the master socket was in the first bedroom and the secondary socket was in the living room. We wanted the router in the living room next to the Sky box so the installer made the living room socket (secondary) into the master socket - the old master socket in the bedroom now doesn't work at all.

Strange the master being in the bedroom though - someone probably fucked about with it before we moved in. This is in a new build (10 years old mind) btw.

[Edited on 04-11-2012 by noshua]
AdZ9

4th Nov 12 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had it installed. I had no problems as master socket was in the office.

74.5 mb download and 19mb upload, it's rapid! Download off NZBMatrix at 8.2mb/s
Rob R

5th Nov 12 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had it installed 6 months ago, our master phone socket is in the hall way by the front door and I had it installed in my bedroom so the engineer changed the socket in my room to the master.
Gary
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9

I ONLY GET 25! Might give plusnet some shit for it
Bart

5th Nov 12 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9

I ONLY GET 25! Might give plusnet some shit for it

Its completely dependant on your distance from the roadside green box, the further away, the more distance over copper it is and the more degraded the connection will be.
PlusNet will not be restricting you.

John

5th Nov 12 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get different packages, could just be that.
jezza

6th Nov 12 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahoy ahoy, I can answer this for you, left Openreach (BT) in August and did about a million Infinity installs.

There's a few ways things can be done. As said above, simply your living room socket can easily be made the master by the engineer bypassing the hallway socket and then backfeeding it. Not meant to do it because they say it harms performance but it's bollocks!

Or you can ask for a data extension kit/home wiring solution, where you could keep the main socket in the hall, then the engineer could use the spare pair of wires in the existing extension to fit a DSL socket for the modem next to your existing extension socket.

Finally, you could have him run new wire to anywhere you want. But you don't want more wiring so this is moot!

ed

9th Nov 12 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engineer didn't give us the call 30 mins before arriving, despite being on the phone to India for 15 mins arranging him to do so.

He didn't screw the main faceplate back onto the wall either, had to get the screws out the box and do it for him when I got home (my sister let him in).

He said he couldn't move the main socket either so all the kits on the floor in the hallway at the moment. How difficult would it be to bypass the master socket to the one in my bedroom and the backfeed it back to the hallway socket? I need to plug my NAS into the router and I definitely don't what that in the hallway. The socket in the living room is integrated with the satellite and tv ariel so I couldn't move the main socket in there.

Either way, ran a speed test and it seems to do the job

Rob_Quads

9th Nov 12 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You can get different packages, could just be that.

Think its unlikely as the faster packages are only available if you can get the speeds. I'm not aware if any infinity suppler that limits by package ie 50% append or 100%. It's mostly up to 40mb or if your close to your cab up to 80
John

9th Nov 12 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get different download and upload combinations. I can't remember them but I can order them straight from BT through one of our suppliers.
andy_mk3

9th Nov 12 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the BTO engineer came for my Sky fibre, he fitted the modem next to the master socket as I had already run CAT6 upstairs to the router. But after setting it all up he wasn't happy with it so replaced the entire telephone line from the mast to the master socket Improved speeds a lot, he didn't have to do it, plus it was chucking it down. Certainly glad he did it though!
AdZ9

10th Nov 12 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine seems to be 68mb one time i try it, then 74 the next, always get around 8mb/s download though which is the important bit!

[Edited on 10-11-2012 by AdZ9]
ed

19th Nov 12 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a thought. Would I be able to connect the modem to the router via a powerline adaptor? I can mount the modem on the wall and it will be nicely out the way and I can then put the router hidden away somewhere else.
John

19th Nov 12 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No reason why not, other than potential speed.

I'm sure a 70Mb/s connection would be stretching a few of the slower ones.
ed

19th Nov 12 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems like they come in 200Mbps or 500Mbps. Are Mbs and Mbps the same thing though?
John

19th Nov 12 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, both would denote Megabits per second to me.
ed

19th Nov 12 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought so. If the internet speed is 30-40Mbs then theoretically there shouldn't be a performance drop, but I guess a lot of it rides on how well the adaptor works with existing wiring. Probably worth a shot as if it ends up hurting performance too much I can just use them to plug the NAS into the router instead
John

19th Nov 12 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's a 2 or 500Mbps adapter I can't see it being as slow as 40Mbps unless there was something bad with your wiring.
ed

19th Nov 12 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I'll give these a go then: http://www.ebuyer.com/263575-tp-link-200mbps-powerline-adapter-twin-pack-tl-pa211kit
noshua

19th Nov 12 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£21.85 delivered @ Currys - home delivery only, use code power5 at final checkout screen.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tp-link-tl-pa211kit-200mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10991859-pdt.html

[Edited on 19-11-2012 by noshua]
ed

19th Nov 12 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll