corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » ADSL

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ADSL
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Aug 06 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is really pissing me off now

On Thursday, I switched my PC on to find the "ADSL" Light on my modem flashing instead of being solid green. Tried to dial, and got "No Dial Tone".

Phoned Tiscali, who sent me a new modem on saturday morning. Same error. Work friend came round and lent me a netgear router. Same issue with this.

Phoned tiscali again - who escalated to BT. BT couldnt find an error with the line - however will send out an engineer on Thursday.

Getting a bit desperate now. swapped out all the filters and phone sockets to no avail

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
dj_mikey_k

21st Aug 06 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On thursday there was a power surge in telehouse north, which is where most BT central pipes terminate before they go transatlantic or contental, possibly this may have sumit to do wid it??
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Aug 06 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for that! Hopefully the BT engineer has a clue whats going on.

Just read on tiscali forums - someone else had a similar problem - and he was charged for the BT engineer!! is this right?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
abdus

21st Aug 06 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

phone tiscali and ask them to send an engineer
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Aug 06 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by abdus
phone tiscali and ask them to send an engineer

Forgot to mention, their 2nd line support, who are ENGLISH are phoning me tomorrow. Will see what they say

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
RKS

21st Aug 06 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont hold your breath with the BT engineer they are useless, if your phone is working for calls then they will say its all ok, and either leave, or tell you that your internal wiring is no good, have you tried using the test socket?
on your wall socket there is a couple of screws undo these and the bottom part can be removed to reveal a phone socket, plug your modem into that and see if it works
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Aug 06 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --Rikki--
dont hold your breath with the BT engineer they are useless, if your phone is working for calls then they will say its all ok, and either leave, or tell you that your internal wiring is no good, have you tried using the test socket?
on your wall socket there is a couple of screws undo these and the bottom part can be removed to reveal a phone socket, plug your modem into that and see if it works

BT suggested this to me, but i cannot find a test socket.

From what i can see - the phone line comes into the house via the master bedroom. The phone socket in here does not have one of this test sockets. I have tried the other sockets in the house (Front room, garage and Greenhouse) - non of which have a test socket. Where is the "main" socket normally in a house?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Nismo

21st Aug 06 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

soounds like theres a sync issue on the line , your modems are not picking up the digital adsl signal.

try simple things like swapping filters , plugging directly to master socket , bypass any extension cables etc...

When BT come if they say its all ok , ask them to plug there test modems in and see if they sync up.

Also go to the master socket unscrew the face plate and behind it you will find a test socket, tr plugging directly into that.
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Aug 06 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
soounds like theres a sync issue on the line , your modems are not picking up the digital adsl signal.

try simple things like swapping filters , plugging directly to master socket , bypass any extension cables etc...

When BT come if they say its all ok , ask them to plug there test modems in and see if they sync up.

Also go to the master socket unscrew the face plate and behind it you will find a test socket, tr plugging directly into that.

Where is the master socket (normally) in a house? Does it look different than the others? Ive unscrewed the ones that i know off, and cant find a test socket

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
drunkenfool

21st Aug 06 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you see where the phone line physically comes into your house? if so have a hunt around that area. Good luck anyway, i got to go without the net for 2 weeks in the new house and really not looking forward to it
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Aug 06 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cable goes into the house via the master bedroom. the socket in there does not have any sign of a test socket. its just a chipboard, a resistor or two - and the main plug.

What is ADSL Max? A friend suggested that tiscali may have upgraded me to this service without telling me - and my house's wiring isnt suitable for it...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
drunkenfool

22nd Aug 06 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty much the whole population can get adsl max, its the new "up to" 8mbps service but actual speed depends on line distance and quality. If you had adsl before with no problems then your line should be fine to run it, although there may still be an issue if they have enabled it. They would have told you first though i woulda thought.
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Aug 06 at 02:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
pretty much the whole population can get adsl max, its the new "up to" 8mbps service but actual speed depends on line distance and quality. If you had adsl before with no problems then your line should be fine to run it, although there may still be an issue if they have enabled it. They would have told you first though i woulda thought.

hmmm

I just want it god damn fixing. If the 2nd line dude can't sort it tmara, im migrating. Hopefully when the new ISP do the checks, they will find and fix the problem if it is an issue with the line...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
RKS

22nd Aug 06 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool

hmmm

I just want it god damn fixing. If the 2nd line dude can't sort it tmara, im migrating. Hopefully when the new ISP do the checks, they will find and fix the problem if it is an issue with the line...

migrating isp won't help as the engineers sent will always be BT engineers and please dont change your broadband to BT you will get even worse support it may be possible that you dont have a new style 'test socket' in your master in which case the engineer should install one

[Edited on 22-08-2006 by --Rikki--]
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Aug 06 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tiscali have offered me free migration - so I bit their hand off. Ive hated them since day one anyway...

Im now with Pipex, they say I should be activated within 7days.

The engineer is due tomorrow - will he charge me for coming out?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
drunkenfool

23rd Aug 06 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your connection with tiscali should stay active until you are swapped over, so the engineer should still be able to test the line. Good move getting away from tiscali though, I had no end of problems with them a couple of years ago
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Aug 06 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engineer has just been round. All internal wiring is fine, however he cant get a sync on the line no matter where he tests it. He's just gone round to the exchange now to see if im actually plugged in

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Aug 06 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

K, engineer went round to the exchange, some alarm had gone off on "my board" whatever the fuck that means, and had dropped my connection. He didnt know how to fix it, so escalated to the "transmissions team".

I havnt heard anything since, onlyway to get a status update is through tiscali. Have phoned them - and the last callnote for the report says "No problem detected."

I gave the tiscali paki a right gobfull - telling him im being lied to etc etc, and that I want a phone call from BT today explaining WTF is going on. He's passed it on, so hopefully Ill be getting a call today...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll