corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Scotland

New Poll
  <<  18    19    20    21    22    23    24  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Scotland
Hammer

User status: Offline
14th Sep 14 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
Hammer - I will hold my hands up and say I don't know enough about the history to pass comment, however, the Scottish vote has aligned with the parties voted into power.

I am not against you voting for independence, I would be keen on democracy in your shoes. I would question if the people pushing for it can be trusted any more or less than the ones you so passionately dislike in Westminster though.

The reward is massive, but at what cost?

I don't trust the SNP or Salmond, I've never voted for either. They are a means to an end. I think how people see Salmond is wrong and I believe he wants the best for Scotland but I also don't doubt he's self-centered and thinks he'll have a statue in bronze if he leads us to Independence. Small price to pay.

I would like our Country to be ran by a party that represents the people i.e. a proper Labour party that represents its founding roots and not the one we have been landed with just now ran by idiots that may as well be an annex of the Tories. I believe that's what will happen from the 1st Election.
Pop

14th Sep 14 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with you that without doubt Labour would be voted in.
alan-g-w

14th Sep 14 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think that Salmond even thinks it's a good idea any more.

[Edited on 14-09-2014 by alan-g-w]
Hammer

14th Sep 14 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
I don't think that Salmond even thinks it's a good idea any more.

[Edited on 14-09-2014 by alan-g-w]

Why is that Alan?
rustyarchs

14th Sep 14 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dammit I seem to be missing so much but I must say Hammer you are an excellent job without me anyway
alan-g-w

14th Sep 14 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And in reply Hammer, I don't think we'll prosper whether independent or not. The whole of Britain is just starting to get back on its feet economically wise and this is just going to throw uncertainty back into the picture.if there was a concrete case for independence being better for Scotland as a nation I'd be willing to be swayed - the fact is that there's a wishy washy, ultimately sketchy plan in place. I'm not wilking to risk my future and the potential future of my fellow countrymen.

It's just far too big a decision to make when there are so many disputed facts. Added to this the fact that we would be able to hold another referendum in the future if we were in such a position to do so makes this seem like a hurried, quickly put together effort at breaking up the United Kingdom.

Voting no.
Dom

14th Sep 14 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
- Supermarket prices will go up - the Supermarkets say otherwise.

John Lewis, ASDA and Sainsburys have all said that rises in food costs could be possible following independence. Only Tesco appear to be sitting on the fence with their press release which stated, "we'll continue to offer the best prices whatever the outcome of the referendum" - so not a definite yes but neither is it a no.

quote:
- Postage will go up - the Scottish Government has said it won't and they will subsidise the shortfall if required until it's brought back into public ownership.

What are they subsidising exactly? As i imagine postage will go up between Scotland and the UK (and visa versa) as it'll be classed as international postage, same as it is between ROI and the UK.

quote:
- The banks are all moving to London - they're not, they're putting contingencies in place to change a Registered address and the processes and jobs will remain.

As you say, the banks are simply moving registered addresses for BoE and tax purposes. Although have the banks confirmed there won't be any operational and job/staff changes? As i always thought directors and financial 'heads' (at least) have to reside in the businesses operational country

quote:
- We will lose tax revenues when the above happens - we won't, corporation tax is paid on revenue generated in a particular Country not where their Head Office is. The reporting of this point in particular, by supposedly clever people, embarrassing.

In a similar vain, wouldn't businesses be open to Double Taxation?

quote:
- There's no oil left - there is oil left, even by the most pessimistic estimates. It's a finite resource, however, Norway have a fund of 1 trillion Euros built up within a period of time shorter than those pessimistic estimates are suggesting North Sea supplies will run out. Our GDP per capita is comparable to the UK's without the oil anyway.

Don't know a huge amount about the remaining oil in the North Sea fields but obviously the country cannot rely solely on the oil industry because, as you've mentioned, it's an finite resource.
Hammer

14th Sep 14 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
And in reply Hammer, I don't think we'll prosper whether independent or not. The whole of Britain is just starting to get back on its feet economically wise and this is just going to throw uncertainty back into the picture.if there was a concrete case for independence being better for Scotland as a nation I'd be willing to be swayed - the fact is that there's a wishy washy, ultimately sketchy plan in place. I'm not wilking to risk my future and the potential future of my fellow countrymen.

It's just far too big a decision to make when there are so many disputed facts. Added to this the fact that we would be able to hold another referendum in the future if we were in such a position to do so makes this seem like a hurried, quickly put together effort at breaking up the United Kingdom.

Voting no.

You are risking your future and the future of your fellow Countrymen, you just don't realise it yet. Take a widespread scope of opinion, not one person will tell you Scotland can't afford to go it alone - including; Darling, Cameron, Davidson, Brown or anyone else that's been asked the question. It then stands to reason the economic debate isn't the underlying issue these people don't want the Union split.

We voted to be an Independent nation 30 odd years ago and were refused it through a technicality, this is also the longest campaign in modern British democratic history - a hurried, quickly put together, effort is exactly the opposite of what it is. It sounds to me as if you are actively grasping for any reason you can.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Sep 14 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hammer sounds like one of those people that have been brainwashed by a religious cult at a church and is arguing that God exists merely because people can't prove he doesn't.
Hammer

14th Sep 14 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
John Lewis, ASDA and Sainsburys have all said that rises in food costs could be possible following independence. Only Tesco appear to be sitting on the fence with their press release which stated, "we'll continue to offer the best prices whatever the outcome of the referendum" - so not a definite yes but neither is it a no.

Lidl, Aldi, Morrisons, Waitrose, M&S??? We live in a free market economy and competition dictates price rises and drops. None of those companies will risk market share by promoting a fear tactic. What they are saying is factually correct, of course, yet so is what Wetherspoons are saying - the price of alcohol and food could go down. That exists whether there was uncertainty through a Referendum or not. Basic economics.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
What are they subsidising exactly? As i imagine postage will go up between Scotland and the UK (and visa versa) as it'll be classed as international postage, same as it is between ROI and the UK.

The cost of incoming and outgoing post to rural areas e.g. Highlands and Islands. GB soaks that cost implication up as a general rule. It's a nothing point as I've said though, we will have a Royal Mail owned by us not shareholders fairly quickly.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
As you say, the banks are simply moving registered addresses for BoE and tax purposes. Although have the banks confirmed there won't be any operational and job/staff changes? As i always thought directors and financial 'heads' (at least) have to reside in the businesses operational country

RBS have stated unequivocally jobs and processes will remain unchanged. There is also a difference between an HQ and a registered address. Lloyds TSB have a brass plaque on The Mound in Edinburgh to signify that's their registered address, that's literally what it is - a brass plaque. We don't see any Corporation Tax revenue generated through their HQ in London.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
In a similar vain, wouldn't businesses be open to Double Taxation?

In a word, no.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Don't know a huge amount about the remaining oil in the North Sea fields but obviously the country cannot rely solely on the oil industry because, as you've mentioned, it's an finite resource.

There's more there than has been extracted. Our current government recommends following the Norwegian model of building an Oil Fund which can then be used to strengthen other areas i.e. renewables, oil exploration R&D etc etc... So when the oil is gone its legacy is everything else it has paid for which negates its loss.

The North Sea isn't everything either http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/referendum/9602-extent-of-oil-reserves-off-scotlands-west-coast-set-to-be-examined

We are the only Nation in history that has had oil and it is depicted as a negative burden. Which says it all.
Hammer

14th Sep 14 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Hammer sounds like one of those people that have been brainwashed by a religious cult at a church and is arguing that God exists merely because people can't prove he doesn't.

You sound like a 30+ year old that lives with his parents, glues things onto cars at the weekend on their driveway then sits in his pants on the internet all day antagonising people but that's none of my business

I think you'd vote Yes if you lived here, you'd get to stick a wee Saltire on your model helicopter thing and fly it about. Yippee.
ShEp

15th Sep 14 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the price rises are pish tbh.

I have to pay international postage to get stuff to where I am anyway,

And the likes of ASDA, JL & Sainsburys, ASDA is the only one this far north, and it's shite anyway,

Why it will cost them more to get the produce up here when they bang on about local produce from the local area baffles me.

The oil situation make me

I work in the industry, and we have untapped resources that none of the men in suits know the quantity of,....What I can tell you though is...

There is a new drilling company which was funded over a billion pounds by the UK government to build 10drilling rigs, to work off Shetland, Cameron was up visiting the area a matter of weeks ago trying to keep a tin lid on it, he didn't want it adding weight to the yes campaign.

However Bp let it slip on social media, but it's not being reported on national news, it's most likely the biggest oil discovery the UK has ever been involved in, And it came around just in time to line our pockets

Thanks for the billion to build the rigs, we're off

Yes vote from me.
baza31

15th Sep 14 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

England should let them go alone . Then in another few years when they are all eating grass and drinking out of lakes we should go take it back and send all it's people to Southern Ireland .
Cavey

15th Sep 14 at 07:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Political guru David Beckham has put his support behind the No campaign.
AK

15th Sep 14 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the people pushing independence is of no consequence. SNP/Salmond especially will most likely be voted out at the first chance.

People can see further than Salmond, its not just about him. Its about Scotland having its own country back, and being in charge of its own destiny.

Romantic, maybe...... but hard to argue against if people having that feeling.
AK

15th Sep 14 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clair Field (West of Shetland) - why is everyone banging on about it being a new discovery. I think I worked on a BP/Clair project about 10 years ago and its size then was known as massive..... and the first platform was already in production. Clair 'ridge' is the expansion which must be getting touted as the 'new' discovery.

Its not new.... just becoming more economically viable I presume.

There is 30+ years left in Oil.

When I was growing up (in Aberdeen) I remember the doom and gloom stories about the oil running out in 10-15 years. That was 20years ago.

I think its safe to say that most people acknowledge there is about 50% reserves left with ever increasing technology to enable the realisation of these reserves. Thats a lot of money.

The rUK will probably be worse hit that Scotland if the Yes vote wins. I imagine both will have a period of instability though.
AK

15th Sep 14 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Want a Scottish based opinion..... worth mentioning that alot of these opinions are from people in Aberdeen.

http://trackscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6378&start=0

Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 14 at 08:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

You sound like a 30+ year old that lives with his parents, glues things onto cars at the weekend on their driveway then sits in his pants on the internet all day antagonising people but that's none of my business

I think you'd vote Yes if you lived here, you'd get to stick a wee Saltire on your model helicopter thing and fly it about. Yippee.

That's because I am
ShEp

15th Sep 14 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
England should let them go alone . Then in another few years when they are all eating grass and drinking out of lakes we should go take it back and send all it's people to Southern Ireland .

You really expect that to happen?

I doubt it, but still it beats stealing money from peoples lofts!

[Edited on 15-09-2014 by ShEp]
smcGSI16V

15th Sep 14 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Voting no.

I like your reasonings why you are voting no. Its not a brain washed ideology or ifs and buts.
Its a common persons thoughts, and tbh as an English person i don't care what Scotland does. But what I do know is that I have heard no deffinate answers about major problems that will affect Scotland being independant. It all seems like guess work and we will worry about it when people vote yes.
On such a major decision to affect not only yourselves but the Scots for hundreds of years to come, these items should have had definate answers long ago.
baza31

15th Sep 14 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
quote:
Originally posted by baza31

You really expect that to happen?

I doubt it, but still it beats stealing money from peoples lofts!

[Edited on 15-09-2014 by ShEp]

Hopefully yes .Then we can all laugh when your hands are held up admitting you can't stand on your own two feet and most likely try to back pedal .
AK

15th Sep 14 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From that response I take it you have no desire to retain a union? Do you have any idea/clue what Scotland brings to the UK?

There are clueless morons on both sides.

Fuck the English - FREEDOM etc etc etc
Fuck the Scottish - We're sick of supporting them.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 14 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only reason I have any "fuck the Scottish" feelings, is because they are going around thinking they are better than us
Hammer

15th Sep 14 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's about 70 Countries that have gained Independence from Great Britain.

How many of those 70 have regretted the decision or asked to be brought under GB rule?
AK

15th Sep 14 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

them and us.....

Imagine you are Scottish for a second. We do get treated like second class citizens by some, and told what to do and when by a government not of our choosing in another country so I know where some of the ill feeling comes from. Its not as bad as it used to be (hatred of English in certain areas) but it still exists

I can completely understand the principles behind wanting our own country back. I think I'd prefer more answers at this point though rather than assumptions and unanswered questions. That goes for both parties by the way.

What are England going to do IF Scotland leaves? It should not just be what are Scotland going to do should they gain independance

<<  18    19    20    21    22    23    24  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Scotland 22 database queries in 0.0198169 seconds