corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What's this wire and plug for?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What's this wire and plug for?
Aidan-Fleming

User status: Offline
6th Dec 12 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im so confused! This is the F20 gearbox. It was in a 1.6 gsi before ad now I'm putting it in a 1.0 12v shell. What do you mean electronic speedo?
Jamie-C

7th Dec 12 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's 2 types of clocks, mechanical and electronic. Mechanical is fed by a cable and electronic is fed by pulses from the speedo drive. The speedo drive in the gearbox you posted is mechanical, so you need mechanical clocks to match. If your going to use the cable driven clocks and speedo drive then you don't need to worry about them 3 wires.

If your going to use electronic clocks which your car was fitted with as standard then you will need the 3 pin speedo drive, fit it to your gearbox and wire it up as I mentioned before.

On mechanical clocks the speedo starts from 10mph, on electronic clocks the speedo starts from 0mph. Yours will be electronic though since it has the wiring for it.
Aidan-Fleming

7th Dec 12 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh okay Thaanks for the information!

I took the clocks out the gsi which is obviously mechanical, so ill be putting them in this car. So i need a cable from the clocks in the car to the gearbox? When i took the xe out the old car i must of never took the bit for the gearbox with it Will need to get one
Jamie-C

7th Dec 12 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea all you need then is a speedo cable so that plug you pictured isn't needed. Make sure you get a genuine GM cable as the ones from motorfactors tend to rattle
Aidan-Fleming

7th Dec 12 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay mate thanks. what does it conect to on the clocks? Also at the gearbox end do i need anything else? how does it attach there?
Aidan-Fleming

7th Dec 12 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh! i remember how it connects at the clocks! but cant remember how at the gearbox?
Jamie-C

7th Dec 12 at 01:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should just screw on at the gearbox side
Aidan-Fleming

7th Dec 12 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks alot for your help, much appreciated! Do you think a corsa cable would be okay at the box end?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll