corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » plug wiring

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author plug wiring
oceansoul

User status: Offline
11th Nov 08 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not stupid and can wire a UK plug top, but i gotta wire an EU plug onto the end of a pump as the only outlets at one of our shaft sites are EU ones built into the control panels....which are from europe. Anyways, i opened the plug and it has 3 terminals in a line, the center is the earth i know that...but which is live and neutral? Or does it not matter as it can bee pluged in upside down :s its the earthed type of eu plug, found in germany, spain, finland etc
C2RL R

11th Nov 08 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the continent they use different wiring methods that allow them to use the reversible type of plug. unfortunately we don't so polarity matters to us. do you have a multi-meter or any way of measuring mains voltage? if you do then you can identify which is which by putting one probe of your meter on the known earth and then checking and comparing the voltage across the other 2 terminals-earth.
Sam
Premium Member

12th Nov 08 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

Which one of those is the EU plug?
Brett
Premium Member

12th Nov 08 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Likin this one...like a little smiley

pow
Premium Member

12th Nov 08 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC It doesnt matter on an EU plug?
Sam
Premium Member

12th Nov 08 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brett!
Brett
Premium Member

12th Nov 08 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Brett!

I thoroughly believe the UK would be just a little bit happier if plug sockets smiled at them daily
Sam
Premium Member

12th Nov 08 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you think people would start smiling more?
Brett
Premium Member

12th Nov 08 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah deffo. My country would have lewd winking ones..

Sam
Premium Member

12th Nov 08 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's one sexy looking plug socket.
ed

12th Nov 08 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure that French plugs only go in one way round. The earth pin is a female slot on the plug and there is a male pin on the bottom of the wall outlet.

In fact, I'm 100% on that, so be careful!
oceansoul

12th Nov 08 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i know about the french ones. what we got is the round socket with 2 holes like the danish one above, but with the earth as 2 metal strips, top and bottom so the plug can go either way. Its inside a PLC cabinet that has one built in, but because its european manufacture they put euro sockets. lol

quote:
on the continent they use different wiring methods that allow them to use the reversible type of plug. unfortunately we don't so polarity matters to us. do you have a multi-meter or any way of measuring mains voltage? if you do then you can identify which is which by putting one probe of your meter on the known earth and then checking and comparing the voltage across the other 2 terminals-earth.

so how exactly does this work, they must have a live(brown) and neutral (blue) to the socket? nothing different there. Also when we go aboard the adaptor plugs can be put in upside down and it doesnt affect our devices.

Thinking about it, the mains lead on my laptop, from the plug to the power brick, is a figure 8 that can b swapped 180deg, so does that not mean the polarity is being revirsed

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by oceansoul]
John

12th Nov 08 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wouldn't affect uk devices if the live and neutral were the wrong way round either, it would just be switched on the neutral side which would cause other problems.
drunkenfool

12th Nov 08 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spanish ones can be plugged in upside down, dunno if that helps

New Poll