corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weight loss - with a twist

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weight loss - with a twist
Gaz

User status: Offline
29th May 12 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't like bringing to much of my personal life on CS but I need to loose weight, not just for me but for my 2 month old son and seeing a few thread in here made me think of asking you guys for help as you know your stuff.

I'm of a fairly large size for my height and need to trim down before it gets out of hand. Easy you may think eating correctly and exercising... however the twist is I do not eat anything classed "Healthy". I'm essentially a carnivore / sugar addict. The main foods I would see on a diet are simply things I class as revolting.

Veg - Only Potato's and Carrot/turnip (mashed like baby food)
Fruit - None
Fish - I could probably do tuna with light mayo mixed up but noting else.
Eggs - None.

Most of the above make me feel physically sick and therefore I just simply do not eat them. So any ideas on how to try and cut weight on essentially a gain weight diet?

I'm starting to regularly run (around 2 miles every other day with a mix of jogging and walking) and will start a 30 minute home exercise routine given to me by a friend but the food is my main concern.
I've replaced pop with water (2L a day) and swapped bread for wholemeal pitta's as most meals i have for lunch are bread based due to work not having a microwave to warm up hot foods. Cutting out crisps and chocolate as however occasionally i do have some form of sugar "down" where I need an intake of sugar to perk me up (I don't have diabetes surprisingly)!

any help, further info needed or suggestions would be great as I really want to make this work this time round for me and the boy
Carl

29th May 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sounds like you have made some good changes already. I'm a bit of a selective eater like yourself but over the last 5 year i've got better (very slowly). I actually think I was so bad because I was used to eating high fat/sugar stuff so that when I tried (which was rare) stuff like veg etc they were so bland and unpalletable (I still can't eat any green veg!). So with that in mind i'd look at keeping up the changes you have made and maybe introducing new stuff slowly. Maybe aim for sweet stuff like fruit juice, smoothies, dried fruit?
Also is there anywhere local you could get help? maybe even seeing a dietitian through your gp with your concerns? I work as an HEalth Trainer which they have in some areas (I know they have them in Liverpool as it's the same organisation.) we are a free service who help people like yourself with healthy eating etc, might be worth seeing if there are any in your area.

Why don't you make a list on here of everything you do like, people on here may be able to make suggestions on meals and also identify stuff that you don't eat but probably actually would like?
Gaz

29th May 12 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for replying Carl, a dietician would be a good step, I find it hard to visit local doctors with work commitments however in the next month or so this should change so will certainly visit them in due course if I cannot work a path out for myself.

In regards to diet, I lack choice. I will eat all meats such as chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey. I will eat them usually with Rice/Noodles/Chips/mash but don't accompany them with the veg that others would normally to fill out the meal

I do like things like Chilli Soy steak and things where I can basically pick out the bits I don;t like but still have the hint of the flavour. Chicken in Pineapple is another example.

For lunches, I'm looking towards ham/chicken pittas, selected soups and possibly tuna mayo pasta (if I can find a thermos tub).

Snacks I'm looking towards a few crackers/small portions of nuts and seeds and the odd biscuit when I need a bit of a sugar boost.

Breakfast wil consist of weetabix with semi skimmed milk Or porridge with a small hint of sugar just to sweeten the taste for pallet preferences.

As you can see though - I still think its bulky foods, which lads would eat with supplements to bulk up or load up on carbs.
Gaz

29th May 12 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As an example of what I have eaten today:
Breakfast: Porridge with a sachet of sugar
Snack: small portion of nuts
Lunch: 1 whole meal pitta bread with 2 slices of ham. 1 packet of fridge raiders(roasted pork)
Snack: 1 digestive biscuit
Tea: minced beef in gravy with mash
Snack: 1 digestive biscuit.

Drinks: 1.5L water, 1 coffee(milky) and 1 can of sugar free relentless.
Rob E

29th May 12 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How good at cooking are you Gaz? As gay as this might sound - have you thought about joining slimming world or something similar? My Mrs has started recently and she has cooked some of the meals for me and they are bloody gorgeous. And they way the diet is composed means you can eat as much of the dish as you like.

One of my faves is called sticky chicken.

It chicken breast diced up, marinaded in a source that is made from 2 table spoons of balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of honey. Sounds very strange but tastes amazing. We normally serve it with brown rice and it makes for a filling meal.

When you sign up they give you a recipe book which is brimming with nice dishes
Gaz

29th May 12 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny you should mention that, the mrs has joined it to loose the baby weight. We are looking to at meals and also making use of our slow cooker. The problem is I cannot cook to save my life and the wife is looking after our son in the day so time is tight.
Hammer

29th May 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not being funny but your priority should be not to bring up your child to think; fruit, veg, fish and eggs are revolting otherwise you are just going to repeat the cycle.

The fact it is so vast and varied your dislike of those foods will be mostly a mental thing. Try and overcome that first rather than attempting to think round the problem.
Gaz

29th May 12 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry hammer, I think you have miss understood me. I'd push my child to eat everything, I'd never want him growing up like I have as its a royal pain in the arse. Don't get me wrong, I would love to go to work with an apple, banana and a few tangerines - but both texture and taste are just not for me.
Hammer

29th May 12 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a fruit smoothie? Try and disguise the texture?

Suppose I'm just lucky I'm the least fussiest eater ever, although there are some things I don't particularly like, I would eat anything
Gaz

29th May 12 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fruit smoothie is something I am going to try.
Rather try one from the chain stores before a home made one as they will have the blends correctly.
I guess these could replace snacks eventually if I get on with them :-)
Hammer

29th May 12 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old dear eats 'pink n whites' as a snack and has done for about 15 years.

They are really sweet, filling and are only 50 calories with less than 2% fat. Give them a bash.
jacko198

29th May 12 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can you not eat any fruit :s thats just plain weird

I Hate veg, raw carrots, celery etc im ok with as a snack though. Just dont eat tonnes of carbs (which is impossible when you cant substitute it with anything)
Gaz

29th May 12 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198

Hence why I'm asking for help , if I could eat that stuff I wouldn't be the fat badger I am now.
Kerry

29th May 12 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try cutting down portion sizes too
Rob E

29th May 12 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
Funny you should mention that, the mrs has joined it to loose the baby weight. We are looking to at meals and also making use of our slow cooker. The problem is I cannot cook to save my life and the wife is looking after our son in the day so time is tight.

You gotta start somewhere My mrs was hopeless at first, she made a greek souvlakia and put so much garlic in that it was uneatable. We both had a barrel of laughs about it though and so far so good.
Hammer

30th May 12 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198

I Hate veg

Gaz

30th May 12 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the wife has done a "red" day version of a slimming world diet and although it's bland as fuck - I think I could actually stick to it
noshua

30th May 12 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've skimmed the thread and there's some good info about food and diet - all I'll say is a about 2 years ago I was the pickiest person when it came to food; the only fruit I'd eat was apples or satsuma (tangerine), chicken nuggets or something of the like and chips / potato / pasta. Even bananas/weatabix I'd avoid.

However, once trying other fruit like Bananas (good simple carbs), in an opinion of "actually, I'll try these and see how they are without thinking they taste like shit", I actually enjoyed them; same with tuna, rice, broccoli, etc.

I think what helped me enjoy them was seeing them regularly in healthy diets and reading how good the nutrients are for you.

Oh, seasoning/marinading is the key to enjoyable meals if they seem plan and you're either having to force your self to eat them or can't finish them.

Hope that helps
Laney

30th May 12 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eat like an adult.
Stop making excuses.
Gaz

30th May 12 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Naushua - good points, I have tried in the past to eat these foods, I just simply do not get on with them.
Your point around seasoning is a good one, I'm more of a BBQ/chilli flavouring man for my meats.

Laney - fair point and one I do say to myself a lot. I've always eaten like this from a child and did expect a few people to have this kinda of opinion. I'm just trying to ask people of there is something extra I can do above my already made changes with this distinct lack of "health food" being in the diet.
Gaz

1st Jun 12 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a little update for anyone interested.

Been sticking to a healthier eating plan as well as running every other day. I fell ill if i'm honest, I get headaches and i'm constantly hungry but my body has never had to run on no sugar or fast foods.

weigh-in on Monday - lets hope its some big numbers
Russ

1st Jun 12 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you've cut carbs you will lose big first week. its a bit of a lie but a nice boost, makes it seem more worthwhile
Carl

2nd Jun 12 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
Just a little update for anyone interested.

Been sticking to a healthier eating plan as well as running every other day. I fell ill if i'm honest, I get headaches and i'm constantly hungry but my body has never had to run on no sugar or fast foods.

weigh-in on Monday - lets hope its some big numbers

Keep at it, the headaches might be from cutting out the caffiene from the pop as well. Give it 2-3 weeks a month and I reckon you will be feeling a lot better. Also don't fear carbs, they are your primary source of energy, aim for wholemeal, brown etc though. You need to be eating the right amount if exercising as not eating enough will be detrimental to your weight loss, it is a fine balance and if you do delve into amount of calories you have try not to go less than 500 calories under the recommended. There is an equation to work out your basal metabolic rate if you are interested in going into it further.
Gaz

2nd Jun 12 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Russ/Carl, I've basically swapped to wholemeal pitta bread (1 a day) for my lunch with a healthier filling.

i've not really looked into calories yet as I'm just trying to cut out as much shit as possible. Picking at chocolate and crisps, drinking lots of sugary drinks as well as eating lots of fast foods have sadly got me to where I am now.
Russ

2nd Jun 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats it mate, doesn't matter if you lose 1lb a week, along as you are living healthy, and if you do treat yourself every now and again its no drama. Just keep at it, and keep running

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weight loss - with a twist 23 database queries in 0.1061699 seconds