corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recent books* you have read

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recent books* you have read
Eck
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Sep 14 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any more books anyone recommends?
First Law was great. Obviously ASOIAF. Loved the Bourne novels (Ludlum, not read the new ones). Anything along those lines?
John

20th Sep 14 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've read all the Bourne ones. All OK but basically the same thing over and over again.
Cavey

20th Sep 14 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Conn Igulden - Wolf on the Plains

Was recommended by a friend of mine, when I mentioned GoT books. I haven't the slightest idea whether its any good or not, but its on my future list. Got an 11 flight to Capetown in a few months, so gonna need something for that as I'm shit at sleeping in public
Eck
Premium Member

21st Sep 14 at 06:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've read all the Bourne ones. All OK but basically the same thing over and over again.

I've been tempted a few times to read EVL's additions, but I doubt it'll be anywhere near as good, so I didn't want to ruin the series!
Cavey, I'll have a look in to that
Dan Brown's Digital Fortress was no bad not long ago. So might look in to more regular reading.
Eck
Premium Member

25th Sep 14 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Bourne Legacy - Knew I shouldn't have read it. Makes Bourne seem like a bumbling girl, with a cringeworthy end. First and last EVL Bourne book I will read.
John

25th Sep 14 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've read all the Dan Brown ones too, years ago.

I enjoyed reading them but I always feel after I've read them that there isn't much to his stories either, same thing over and over again with a different theme.
Eck
Premium Member

26th Sep 14 at 04:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sadly, true. Whilst they are pretty gripping at the time, once you've finished you realise there isn't much substance to the novels.
Marc

5th Jan 15 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I'm on a mission this year to finish Moby Dick, read 1984 and LotR, Keith Richards & Chris Evans autobiographies and 2 other I forget the names of.
Pop

5th Jan 15 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 2015 challenge is to read all the Terry Pratchett Discworld books.
Cavey

5th Jan 15 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1984 isn't very long, so doesn't take too long to read, its fairly decent. The film isn't though
Marc

5th Jan 15 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
1984 isn't very long, so doesn't take too long to read, its fairly decent. The film isn't though

I liked the film, only seen it the once though!
Gary
Premium Member

5th Jan 15 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guy Martins autobiography. Great read.
Balling
Premium Member

5th Jan 15 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
So I'm on a mission this year to finish [...] LotR
One of the few books that I completely gave up on. My God it's a boring read. Fucking landscape descriptions for chapters!

Marc

5th Jan 15 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've read the first 3 chapters and also read The Hobbit a few years back. I'm hoping as I have seen the films it won't be that bad.

I gave up on War & Peace!
Balling
Premium Member

5th Jan 15 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hobbit is a completely different read. Great book imo.

Having watched the movies will make LotR a worse book. You know all the good parts, only the boring shit is left.

Jambo

5th Jan 15 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasn't a fan of the hobbit and have up reading LOTR years ago.

He is a frustrating writer, as Alex said reems and reems and reems of pages about the colour of the sky, then some major event happens and it's covered in 6lines.

Annoying.
Marc

6th Jan 15 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last night I read about 10 pages of Moby Dick where he just described 5 different species of whale and whaling techniques.

[Edited on 06-01-2015 by Marc]
John

6th Jan 15 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I gave Ulysses up pretty quickly too. One of the best novels ever apparently but was really boring/hard going.
Marc

6th Jan 15 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, think I remember you posting about that! Someone I know tried reading something similar and gave up too!
Cavey

20th Feb 15 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noticed the next in the shattered sea series was out when I was at the shop today, so getting that to listen to next week

Half a king was still pretty good, so hopeful of it!
Cavey

27th Feb 15 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, finished listening, it's all right, gets better, but as it's aimed at teenagers, there's a lot of "feelings" and shit like that.

Onto Red Rising now as it was suggested by Audible
Cavey

18th Mar 15 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, Red rising and it's sequel, Golden Son were both while very predictable and worn ideas, actually quite good, seems they've been bought for films took they're quite Hunger games, but mone male-centric, again teen based, so suited me, annoyingly it's a trilogy and third isn't due to be released for another year

So downloading Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse five and anew other books to give me something to listen to while walking round
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

19th Mar 15 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone read the American sniper book? Seen the film. Known the story for a while but never read the book..
Cavey

31st Mar 15 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the missus reeled off a few books from a "top 20 books to read list, and this was on it (along with Fahrenheit 451)

Slaughterhouse Five. 8/10

Really good, backwards and forwards type book a few stories going on at once all from the point of view of Billy Pilgrim, aliens, war, love, death (so it goes) all good shit. - Apparently there was a film made of it in the 70s, so downloading that, supposed Guillermo Del Toro might be directing a remake, although got sidetracked with his many many other projects. It would make a very good film
Marc

22nd May 15 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moby Dick - 2/5

Overly long, spends too much time going in to far too much detail about whaling techniques and general ship information that it is like reading an encyclopaedia. There are even notes on some pages giving more information on what has just been described. It was funny in parts though and the characters aboard the ship were humorous and the banter between them at times was good. After 648 pages I was glad to get to the end of it, and I was a little disappointed with the way it ended given the whole book was leading up to this moment.

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recent books* you have read 23 database queries in 0.1928599 seconds