corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recent books* you have read

New Poll
  <<  8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recent books* you have read
Cavey

User status: Offline
31st May 15 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stephen Moss - Fear the skies 9/10

Brilliant, sci-fi political kind of thing. Aliens come to earth, hide among us, work their way up to high military positions to try and stop nukes, few people find out about them and have to try to stop them.

First of a trilogy. Obviously. As all books are now, looking forward to the second one
Marc

31st May 15 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nineteen Eighty Four -10/10.

Brilliant from start to finish and so easy to read.
Cavey

8th Jun 15 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did enjoy 1984, didn't like the film too much though.

Just finished The Martian (Andy Weir) which I thought was brilliant (9/10), and found out they've done a film based on it with Matt Damon as the main guy, directed by Ridley Scott, looks good!

[Edited on 08-06-2015 by Cavey]
Marc

8th Jun 15 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started LoTR, its heavy
taylorboosh

14th Jun 15 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read fast and loud which is richard rawlings book - hes a pretty cool cat i enjoyed it

About to start these game of thrones books
Eck
Premium Member

14th Jun 15 at 15:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Song of Ice and Fire
They take a while, but are amongst the best books I've ever read. Lots of clever and subtle little comments.
taylorboosh

14th Jun 15 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im quite enjoying the fact it swaps for person to person
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Jun 15 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read white wolf really enjoyed it.

Now starting swords of night and day.

Both by David gemmell
Cavey

14th Jun 15 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently on to Terry Pratchett, as well, he's terry pratchett and apparently brilliant so started on Good omens last week, meh, bit annoying with his distractions, but getting used to his style and mildly enjoying it now. Will give those a go after this Johnny
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Jun 15 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Currently on to Terry Pratchett, as well, he's terry pratchett and apparently brilliant so started on Good omens last week, meh, bit annoying with his distractions, but getting used to his style and mildly enjoying it now. Will give those a go after this Johnny

I love David gemmell mate. I got all he's books. He wrote a troy trilogy died half way through th 3rd book he's wife finished it.

Before reading white wolf read legend.

Terry pratchett is ok I just couldn't get into him.

David Eddings is another good one if you are into these type of books. (Older version of game of thrones)
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

14th Jun 15 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His!!!!! How many times do you need to be told?
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Jun 15 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
His!!!!! How many times do you need to be told?

I'm sorry sir.
taylorboosh

15th Jun 15 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a good friend who writes his instead of he's lol
johnny86
Premium Member

15th Jun 15 at 00:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
I have a good friend who writes his instead of he's lol

Didn't think we was friends haha
Eck
Premium Member

3rd Jul 15 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any of the ASOIAF fans read the Dunc and Egg Novella? Just read through all the novels again and want more Not sure whether to wait til October for the A knight of the seven kingdoms collection or just start A Hedge Knight just now.
Cavey

3rd Jul 15 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have not.

However I have got through quite a lot recently.

From the previous page

Fahrenheit 451 - Really good, hard to believe it was written so long ago (451 oF is the burning point of paper, in the future they want to control minds so they burn all books, there's obviousy some left and the people who own them are meant to be killed etc) 8/10
Got round to listening to a few more zombie books, in particular Shana Festa - Time of death (1 and 2) - After I got over the fact it was a female writer, and was very obviously a female writer, she spends a few minutes talking about how amazing her fella is and how amazing his ass is... They turned out quite good apart from the fact she carries her fucking dog everywhere with her - But rest of the storyline is fairly engaging. First book was Time of death - 7/10 - Second is called Asylum - 8/10... Still waiting for someone to upload the third

After watching a few episodes of wayward pines, realised it was based on Novels, so been listening to them for the last couple of weeks, really good, bit different to the show which is good, but good novels all the way along, 7/10, 8/10, 7/10 for the 3 of them.
Cavey

3rd Jul 15 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also got through all of the Lost fleet series by Jack Campbell (I don't seem to have said anything about it yet)

Sci-fi space stuff, 6 books in the original series, and a 3 book spin off (think there's more too)

They're a tough read (listen) as there's a lot about communications in space, timings, change of direction by X degrees at X time, he likes to re-iterate that things take a long time in space because it's quite big, so when things are in lighthours, communication takes ages, WE GET IT.

So they're a bit of a tough read, but all in all, I listened to 9 of the bloody things, so it's safe to say they got me engaged anyway!
Eck
Premium Member

3rd Jul 15 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've been busy then
I'm just starting a trilogy of fantasy which has a female author too. After ASOIAF, I'm expecting grisly detail but probably won't get it
Cavey

4th Jul 15 at 07:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's easy when you listen to them, I might miss a few seconds here and there, but they're usually around 10 hours each which is 3 days for me, so get through things pretty quickly
MatthewR

4th Jul 15 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just ordered Kenneth Noye book in light of the recent Brinks-Mat robery killing
Cavey

6th Jul 15 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnny86

Both by David gemmell

Downloading the first 4 of the drenai tales. But it's taking forever!
Eck
Premium Member

8th Aug 15 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any of you fantasy fans read The Axe and the Throne? It's the first in the Bounds of Redemption series, and the second should be finished soon (first was only published in October). Highly recommend it! Greatly enjoyable with a hint of darkness.
Pop

8th Aug 15 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the heads up Eck, I'll give it a look.

I'm currently on the 22nd Discworld book, only 18 to go before the end of the year and I'll have completed the challenge I set myself. If you haven't read them I'd thoroughly recommend giving them a try.
johnny86
Premium Member

8th Aug 15 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Originally posted by johnny86

Both by David gemmell

Downloading the first 4 of the drenai tales. But it's taking forever!

Your enjoy them I've just started way lander then going to read troy by the same author
Cavey

8th Aug 15 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Waylander was in the 4 I downloaded, they were good, yeah.

Gone back to listening to the first law trilogy again now, although saw the other day the newest in the shattered sea series has been released so I'll get that soon hopefully.

[Edited on 08-08-2015 by Cavey]

<<  8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recent books* you have read 22 database queries in 0.2067640 seconds