corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recent books* you have read

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recent books* you have read
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Apr 14 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
I've just been on his website and seen that the first book in his next trilogy comes out in July this year.
Younger target audience than First Law, though.

jezza

13th Apr 14 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to read a lot but have been really patchy over the last few years.

Currently reading Clash of Kings, early days yet but I'm sure it'll live up to Game of Thrones.

My to-read pile is monstrous. I've bought a few of the SF books a some of you have mentioned - ta

Also got a Kindle Paperwhite for my birthday last week so reading The War of The Worlds on that.
Pop

2nd Jun 14 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just finished Last Arguments of Kings which was a great final book in the trilogy. It was a shame to get to the end really, I want more...

So what would people recommend next?
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Jun 14 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best Served Cold was very good.
Quite different from First Law, but in a refreshing way. Shivers plays a big role and there are some great new characters.

Pop

2nd Jun 14 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good, I'll read that next.
MoesTavern

2nd Jun 14 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Best Served Cold was very good.
Quite different from First Law, but in a refreshing way. Shivers plays a big role and there are some great new characters.

Wasn't the biggest fan of Best Served Cold tbh. Didn't like Murcatto and Shivers seemed a bit bland (until his big change)

Nearly finished The Heroes and it's decent.
Cavey

3rd Jun 14 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna try and find them on audio book somewhere, just bulk watched GoT through to season 4, so started listening to the first book last week, as I had been told, its quite true to the series, well, series is true to the book.

Did enjoy the First law Trilogy, when I was looking for a picture of the book saw that someone was making it into a graphic novel, but they stopped a few years back which is a shame, looked good.
Pop

28th Jun 14 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished Best Served Cold this morning and thought it was pretty good. I'd definitely recommend it.

I'm looking forward to starting The Heroes next.
Cavey

28th Jun 14 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished listening to the 2nd GoT book last week, started the third.

Good getting a bit more background into the story on TV, the origin of Reek etc... Was explained a lot more in the book.

At 35 hours each, they keep me entertained walking my round for about 2 weeks each!
Cavey

26th Jul 14 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
A Feast for Crows - 7/10

A Dance with Dragons - 9/10

After some 6000 pages I'm just about ready for something new, but it's been an absolute joy to work my way through these books.

Been listening through a feast for crows over the last few weeks, don't really enjoy it to be honest, very slow. Feels like nothing has really happened and a lot of storyline has been forgotten about, but I guess after killing off quite a few folk he needed to start over and rebuild. Seems like it'd be half a series. Tbhooking forward to getting to the next one and things happening again. 5/10
Eck
Premium Member

26th Jul 14 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The Blade Itself - 8/10

Very entertaining. I get the comparison to GoT, but at the same time they're also very different books. Besides the medieval setting and few fantasy elements the style and story is very different from GoT.
Worth reading for anyone who enjoyed GoT or found it too big/complex.

Halfway through the second book in the trilogy and it's shaping up to be better than the first.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Will have to try this. Been lost without a GoT to read recently
N16K

28th Jul 14 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't read fiction, just finished this last week Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff. Amazon link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Detroit-American-Autopsy-Charlie-LeDuff/dp/1594205345

[Edited on 28-07-2014 by N16K]
Pop

2nd Aug 14 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just finished The Heroes which is a great book, really captured my imagination.

Onto Red Country next which is the last in the trilogy.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a new series of books to follow these Joe Abercrombie ones?
John

2nd Aug 14 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - I'm not 100‰ sure how the books go but I'm at least 70% through the whole thing. There are so many refrenences I didn't realise came from there, like literally every single SciFi reference since 1980.
Pop

3rd Aug 14 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for that John, I will give it a read.

I've also been recommended the Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth. Has anyone heard/read them?
Ben J

3rd Aug 14 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Accidental Ironman by Martyn Brunt
MoesTavern

4th Aug 14 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always recommend American Psycho to those who haven't read it
Balling
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 07:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Shining - 9/10

Thought I'd read this years ago, but turns out I hadn't.
Fantastic story and great characters. One of those books where I'd completely lose track of time, while reading.
Can totally recommend it to anyone who likes horror/suspense stories.

Balling
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 07:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Charles Higson's The Enemy - 7/10

A virus outbreak kills everyone above the age of 16, but some of them come back as zombies.
Story follows a group of kids trying to survive in a post apocalyptic London where all the adults are zombies that eat children.
Wasn't bad at all, on the contrary very well written. It's clearly aimed at a younger audience though and most of the story wasn't exactly original.

Balling
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 07:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
Enjoyed that a few years ago, but I do think that the writing style feels a bit repetitive if you read the whole collection in one go.

Balling
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 07:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoesTavern
While a sensational book, it's also quite boring most of the time. The writer literally spends an entire chapter (and not a short one) explaining every last detail about the main characters apartment, right down to what's in his cupboards. I really struggled to finish it and struggled even more to enjoy it.
Movie tells the story way better, imo.

[Edited on 04-08-2014 by Balling]

MoesTavern

4th Aug 14 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
While a sensational book, it's also quite boring most of the time. The writer literally spends an entire chapter (and not a short one) explaining every last detail about the main characters apartment, right down to what's in his cupboards. I really struggled to finish it and struggled even more to enjoy it.
Movie tells the story way better, imo.

[Edited on 04-08-2014 by Balling]

I have to say I don't remember that bit, I wasn't bored in the slightest reading it. each to their own I suppose. I found it very powerful and was thinking about it for days afterwards.

I like the movie too but obviously the more shocking parts of the book are unfilmable
Balling
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I found it very powerful
Well it's certainly quite powerful in that it punches you in the face with detailed descriptions of gore and hardcore sex just to switch pace completely spend decades explain the suits and glasses (always horn rimmed) of every person the main character meets. This contrast is completely intentional, of course, it just doesn't make for a very good reading experience in my opinion.

If anything though, it's a book worth reading as a lot of people have read it and even more people have an opinion about it, so it's often a good talking point.

Marc

4th Aug 14 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not read it but my dad has and he said the same as Balling about the draining descriptions.
MoesTavern

4th Aug 14 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
I found it very powerful
Well it's certainly quite powerful in that it punches you in the face with detailed descriptions of gore and hardcore sex just to switch pace completely spend decades explain the suits and glasses (always horn rimmed) of every person the main character meets. This contrast is completely intentional, of course, it just doesn't make for a very good reading experience in my opinion.

If anything though, it's a book worth reading as a lot of people have read it and even more people have an opinion about it, so it's often a good talking point.

It's certainly a book that polarises opinion, for me the excessively descriptive sections are as much a part of the style of the book as the violence and sex, the world is described through Bateman's eyes and he is a narcissist obsessed with appearance and possessions, so it makes sense he would pay particular attention to these things. I found the writing engaging enough not to be bored.

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recent books* you have read 23 database queries in 0.1170492 seconds