corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recent books* you have read

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recent books* you have read
Cavey

User status: Offline
21st Aug 14 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally finished listening to the Game of Thrones books.

I'd assume that they'll be combining 4 and 5 into 1 series seeing as they run alongside each other, and there's not really much to book 4, 5 was good, although i'm majorly fucked off about what happens to one character near the end of it

On to Best Served Cold at last, which I started today, forgot how much I enjoyed the first law trilogy and how well it's written, very much enjoying this book so far, looking forward to the next few weeks of work listening to it!
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Aug 14 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started re-reading ASOIF and all I can think about is how the First Law trilogy has a much better pacing.

I love the scale of ASOIF, but I honestly think First Law is the better written series.

Think I'll take a break from ASOIF soon and dig in to the next Joe Abercrombie book.

Cavey

23rd Aug 14 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did enjoy ASOIF, but its a bit of a relief to have finished them, and a welcome change being back on to the First law world and the more comedic and frankly written stuff that he does.

Downloaded The heroes and a couple of other things by him too. The heroes is the "aimed at younger readers" stuff I assume? Think that was the 2014 book anyway
MoesTavern

23rd Aug 14 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Shattered Sea trilogy is his new stuff aimed at younger readers, starting with Half a King

The Heroes is another First Law world story.
Cavey

23rd Aug 14 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, OK, well downloaded the audiobooks anyway, so its in the queue to listen to. Will be on Best served cold for a week or two now
Marc

26th Aug 14 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Inferno - 5.5/10

Typical Dan Brown Robert Langdon story. As usual Langdon gets caught up in some conspiracy that will affect mankind and only a history lecturer can save the day. Yet again teaming up with a young female and pursued by several organisations that are out to protect their own interests. As Dan Brown likes to be consistent, the person you suspect at the beginning is also revealed to be the person responsible at the end. Some red herrings for a change would be nice. Probably the least believable of the Robert Langdon books and it is evident he has read some Larsson judging by the way he over explains the littlest of things. I'll probably read the next one as to be fair to Brown I like the Robert Langdon character, I just think his writing leaves a bit to be desired.
andy1868

26th Aug 14 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dispatches by Michael Kerr 8/10

Good book. A true "story" of a journalist covering the Vietnam war. I put story in inverted commas as there isn't really a story, it's a number of anecdotes throughout the years he was there. Some of which were his first hand and plenty of second hand stories but certainly interesting and if true a real eye opener. I would recommend it certainly, and it seems as if every Vietnam war movie maker has taken pieces from it for their own stories
Eck
Premium Member

26th Aug 14 at 16:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Started re-reading ASOIF and all I can think about is how the First Law trilogy has a much better pacing.

I love the scale of ASOIF, but I honestly think First Law is the better written series.

Think I'll take a break from ASOIF soon and dig in to the next Joe Abercrombie book.

Googled the blade itself and it sounds like an interesting trilogy. Worth a read? I agree with ASOIAF getting a bit tedious. It seems he got a bit lost towards the end.
Cavey

26th Aug 14 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely Eck, get them sorted.

If you want a taster, there's a couple of chapters that have been "graphic novelled" so you can read them without buying the books if you want

http://www.firstlawcomic.com I think

[Edited on 26-08-2014 by Cavey]
Eck
Premium Member

26th Aug 14 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Downloaded it, so I'll crack on whilst the mrs watches her soaps!
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Aug 14 at 01:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to be an obsessive reader, I see Andy McNab has been mentioned a few times in here - I'd read all of his stuff (both fiction and none) up to about 2009, I need to catch up as it seems he's had some more out.

I'm not sure why I stopped reading, as a kid and into my early 20's I'd do a book a week at least, the amount of sleep I lost because I couldn't put a book down

I've started reading again, on my tablet - as I'm doing so much flying. Read all the Harry Potters in 3 months only ever reading on planes I quite enjoyed them.

Think I'll download some McNab stuff now and catch up on that. Nick Stone IIRC?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

27th Aug 14 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished the hitchhiker's guide 'trilogy'.

They were ok but as Balling said earlier, the books are very, vrey similar so reading them all in one go became a chore to get it finished at the end.

Happy I've read it so now know where loads of references originated but wouldn't rush to read it all again.

Not sure whether to go for a bit of non fiction for my next one or read a bit of fantasy like those first law books.
Balling
Premium Member

27th Aug 14 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John, there's a sample of the fist book here:
http://pyrsamples.blogspot.dk/2008/09/blade-itself-by-joe-abercrombie.html

Gives a good idea of what you can expect from the series.

Eck
Premium Member

28th Aug 14 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quarter of the way through the blade itself, and thoroughly enjoying it. Moves at a quicker pace than ASOIAF, but carries the same brutal detail
Marc

28th Aug 14 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Just started Moby Dick

Trying to get back in to this now I've finished reading that other trash. 101 pages in and reading ye olde English isn't easy
Pop

2nd Sep 14 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just finished Red Country which is the 3rd book in the second Joe Abercrombie trilogy. It didn't disappointed.

I'll have to download something new tonight.
Cavey

3rd Sep 14 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just finished Best served cold and loved it, thought it was very very good 9/10

Onto the Heroes for the next few weeks now
Cavey

4th Sep 14 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Annoyingly, for me listening to them, they've changed Narrator on the Heroes had the same guy for the trilogy and best served cold.

Panic over, turns out they change narrator, people moaned and they got Steven Pacey to do a version too, the original narrator, so I'll have to find that instead

[Edited on 04-09-2014 by Cavey]
Eck
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Half way through Before They Are Hanged, still thoroughly enjoying it!
Cavey

19th Sep 14 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, finished The Heroes last week, was nice to have a lot of the old characters back, again, enjoyed it, like what they've done with Shivers, and the Gorst sections were brilliant.

Onto Red Country now, new characters (with a couple returning) sounding like its going to be good again.

Not sure what I'll have to listen to once I've finished the remaining First Law things
Eck
Premium Member

19th Sep 14 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just finished the First Law trilogy and loved it, right up til the last page. I'm sat her dumfounded that it ends like it does I don't think I read the standalones though.
Cavey, the first book of his new trilogy was released a couple of months ago .
The Shattered Seas trilogy - Half a King.
Cavey

19th Sep 14 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have that downloaded on audiobook, but only seems to be 130mb or so, so not sure it'll be the greatest of quality
taylorboosh

19th Sep 14 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol so you guys are listening to books?
Cavey

19th Sep 14 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am, but everyone else is reading properly with words and stuff, I'm a postie, so walk for 4 hours a day, so been listening to them instead. Is that allowed?

[Edited on 19-09-2014 by Cavey]
taylorboosh

20th Sep 14 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure, ive been given a book to read by my manager

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recent books* you have read 23 database queries in 0.1952631 seconds