corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recent books* you have read

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recent books* you have read
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Nov 13 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alex Ferganson 8/10
Jambo

18th Nov 13 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kippers
Shocking i know but only just started reading stephen king books.

Just read

Its about a chap that can go back in time and change things but if he comes back to the past and goes back in time the first visit is reset.

He goes back to try and stop Lee Harvey Oswald killing JFK.

Goes into detail about the chaos effect and time travel etc etc.

Sounds a but boring but i literally couldn't stop reading it.

9/10.

I read that. Beginning was excellent, middle not so much
SVM 286

19th Nov 13 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Fahrenheit 451

That was a brilliant film. I would hope the book will be at least as good Marc.
SVM 286

19th Nov 13 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Started reading Fahrenherit 451 too. Anyone that likes distopia/post apocayliptic worlds I would recommend it. Well ahead of its time considering it was written in the 50's.

Finished last night - 10/10.

Ah ha
Balling
Premium Member

19th Nov 13 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kippers
Shocking i know but only just started reading stephen king books.

Just read

Its about a chap that can go back in time and change things but if he comes back to the past and goes back in time the first visit is reset.

He goes back to try and stop Lee Harvey Oswald killing JFK.

Goes into detail about the chaos effect and time travel etc etc.

Sounds a but boring but i literally couldn't stop reading it.

9/10.
Just started that this morning.

Robbo

21st Nov 13 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So Paddy Got Up (anecdotes about Arsenal by various bloggers) 8/10

Highbury: A History Of Arsenal in N5 9/10

Stillness and Speed (biog of DB10 written by an author using various interviews with Dennis and people who know him etc) 8/10 - very itnerestign take on the standard autobiography!

As you can see, been doing some reading on the history of Arsenal. Wanted to get to know my club a bit better
John

2nd Dec 13 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth - More of a motivational book than a technical one, I'd have liked more technical. Being a proper astronaut sounds a bit rubbish outside of the being in space bit.
Cavey

14th Jan 14 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, not read as such.

But listened to the second and third hunger games books on audiobook over the last couple of weeks.

Quite good, but Katniss is a selfish self centred bitch, and annoys me a bit, got about an hour of the last one to listen to still.

Also seems fairly predictable at points, fairly obvious with a few things, but I think it's written that way to make her seem even more clueless and annoying

Haven't seen the second film yet, but the missus said they did it well, and the third should be good too, if only they'd make them 15 or 18's instead of 12a
John

14th Jan 14 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Catching fire cut out a load of subtle bits I thought were quite important to the storyline, meeting the District 13 people in the woods and a bits about the couple they seen getting caught in the woods spring to mind.

Mockinggjay got a bit ridiculous, thats when it definitely showed it's written for teenagers and not adults.

Enjoyed them overall.
Cavey

14th Jan 14 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have quite enjoyed them, even though the woman reading them has an annoying accent. Listened to 7 hours in one go yesterday, so can't be that bad
John

14th Jan 14 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read all 3 over about 2 weeks so kept me entertained enough.
MoesTavern

15th Jan 14 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
A Feast for Crows - 7/10

A Dance with Dragons - 9/10

After some 6000 pages I'm just about ready for something new, but it's been an absolute joy to work my way through these books.

Have you tried any Joe Abercrombie stuff?

I'm halfway through The Blade Itself and I'm enjoying it more than any Thrones book
Pop

15th Jan 14 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoesTavern
quote:
A Feast for Crows - 7/10

After some 6000 pages I'm just about ready for something new, but it's been an absolute joy to work my way through these books.

I'm halfway through The Blade Itself and I'm enjoying it more than any Thrones book

I was just heading into this thread to say that I'd finished the Game of Thrones books and was looking for something new. Joe Abercrombie is where I will look next.
Cavey

20th Jan 14 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just finished listening to Dexter : The Final Cut.

Read the first 3 books, haven't read the next 3, but got the audiobook for this.

After reading the first 3 obviously I knew that the TV series didn't follow the books, the first 3 were brilliant, and it was great having an alternate version of the TV series. Maybe should of read/listened to the next 3 before this one, but I found this first on audio, have just downloaded the first 4 to give another listen to, then need to find 5 and 6.

But ironically this "last" book was a lot like the TV series in that he acts uncharacteristically during a lot of it, has feelings, is wrong about things, doesn't notice things that are blatantly obvious to anyone reading them. - The writing is still great, and made me laugh a few times, the serial killer plucks out the eyeballs of his victims then fucks the sockets and Dexter has moments of being his old self. But meh, was a bit of a nothing book, and it finishes on a cliff hanger which suggests it won't be the final one.

Was nice that the audiobook was done by Jeff Lindsay though, the author.

6/10, and that's because I like the Dexter books as a whole

Wasn't hard to find the other books, so getting them now too

[Edited on 20-01-2014 by Cavey]
Balling
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

11.22.63 - 5/10

Didn't enjoy it. Started out great. A guy goes back in time to stop Lee Harvey Oswald. Then all of a sudden it's a mediocre love story.

I've read quite a few King books and this is by far the weakest yet.

Balling
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoesTavern
quote:
A Feast for Crows - 7/10

Nice one, will give it a go.

Balling
Premium Member

13th Mar 14 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Blade Itself - 8/10

Very entertaining. I get the comparison to GoT, but at the same time they're also very different books. Besides the medieval setting and few fantasy elements the style and story is very different from GoT.
Worth reading for anyone who enjoyed GoT or found it too big/complex.

Halfway through the second book in the trilogy and it's shaping up to be better than the first.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Reecemac

13th Mar 14 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read Replay by Ken Grimwood, which I think I saw on here - Probably the best book I've read, really enjoyed it. Read all of the Dan Brown "Robert Langdon" books, enjoyed them too. Now have just started reading the Jack Reacher series, gone through the first 3 now, pretty good but quite "samey" and I think there are like 17 books so I'll see how it goes.
Cavey

13th Mar 14 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished listening to all the Dexter books recently, Dexter is delicious was my personal favourite from the series, but they were all pretty darn good.

Most recently listened to an unabridged biography of Nikola Tesla. Amazing man, so far ahead of his time that no-one really believed him about what he could do. Also mixed in with his ideology, his stubbornness and mild cunty-ness which unfortunately led him to be nowhere near as famous as he should of been. He changed the world a little bit, but really should of done more, if it wasnt for his backers essentially screwing him over a few times the world may of been a very different place.
MoesTavern

13th Mar 14 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The Blade Itself - 8/10

Very entertaining. I get the comparison to GoT, but at the same time they're also very different books. Besides the medieval setting and few fantasy elements the style and story is very different from GoT.
Worth reading for anyone who enjoyed GoT or found it too big/complex.

Halfway through the second book in the trilogy and it's shaping up to be better than the first.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm right at the end of the third book myself, there's plenty more twists and turns yet

The GoT books are much grander in scope but these books are a worthy companion piece I think.

If you'd like another recommendation then try The Book of the New Sun. I'd put that above any other fantasy book I've read, it's absolutely extraordinary
Gero22

14th Mar 14 at 02:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sun tzu - Art of war.... great book
Balling
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 07:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before They are Hanged - 9/10

Great sequel. More defined storyline than the first, but a few parts drag on a bit. Especially one character has a quite slow story arc. Still, couldn't put it down.

Last Arguments of Kings - 10/10

Superb. Easily amongst the top five books I've read. Everything from the two previous books just comes together perfectly.

Jumped right in to the next Joe Abercrombie book, Best Served Cold. Looking forward to seeing how he does with a different set of characters.

N16K

7th Apr 14 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't personally read books with a story. I prefer a more documentary / real life read, thats just me -
Just finished reading "Detroit: An American Autopsy" great read if you are into that sort of thing (I am) 4/5.

[Edited on 07-04-2014 by N16K]
Pop

7th Apr 14 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Before They are Hanged - 9/10

Great sequel. More defined storyline than the first, but a few parts drag on a bit. Especially one character has a quite slow story arc. Still, couldn't put it down.

Last Arguments of Kings - 10/10

Superb. Easily amongst the top five books I've read. Everything from the two previous books just comes together perfectly.

Jumped right in to the next Joe Abercrombie book, Best Served Cold. Looking forward to seeing how he does with a different set of characters.

I finished the first book a few weeks ago and haven't read any fiction since as I've been revising for an exam which I've got tomorrow.

I thought the first book was really good. The second book is on my kindle ready to be started tomorrow after my exam, I'm looking forward to it.

I've just been on his website and seen that the first book in his next trilogy comes out in July this year.
Cavey

7th Apr 14 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't find the audiobooks on my usual site anywhere

Scratch that, found them now

[Edited on 07-04-2014 by Cavey]

<<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recent books* you have read 23 database queries in 0.0984540 seconds