corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sell my iPhone 4s for a Samsung Galaxy s2? Am I mad?

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sell my iPhone 4s for a Samsung Galaxy s2? Am I mad?
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 12 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everything you need to know in the iPhone vs. Latest top-of-the-range Android phone argument, with real-world comparisons as I have both:

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
I've got both cos I've jumped on the "I'm going to write the next Angry Birds chart-topping app" bandwagon.

The iPhone is my "daily driver" so to speak - not a conscious decision, it's just the one I reach for first. I like the fact it's restricted because I tend to just turn it on, do what I need to do, then turn it off again. The trouble with Android for me is it's so customisable I spend more time fucking about with it, trying out new mods etc, than actually doing anything with it.

They're both good handsets - I'd go and try them both out and decide which one is better for you.

Given that as chaps we apparently make all our decisions using our willies, I'm going to put on my Steve hat, and compare/contrast both:
My penis looks equally good in photographs taken using either handset.
My penis sounds equally good in conversation using either handset.
My penis looks bigger on the S2 because the screen is bigger - I like this.
My penis looks more realistic on the iPhone (in my opinion).
Photos of my penis appear faster on the S2, but I'm not unhappy with the fraction of a second longer it takes to see my penis on the iPhone.
I can look at photos of my penis for longer on the S2 as the battery life seems a little better (providing you turn off all the radios you're not using and make sure you haven't got any wonky apps running in the background).
The iPhone feels nicer against my penis.
Photo editing apps on the iPhone are of better quality, and allow me to put a convincing looking moustache just under my bell end and boggly eyes on the tip.
It's easier to text using my penis on the S2 due to the swipe ability on the software keyboard.
The, err, vibrate function is stronger on the iPhone.

Have I missed anything?

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
In terms of tech specs and whatever - they're both there or thereabouts. They're smartphones - you're never going to get the 14 days battery life you used to get out of your Nokia 3310; however it is easier to deplete the battery on the S2 if you're not careful about what you have running. The camera is good on both. They both make and receive calls and text messages. They both have apps. The processor is marginally faster on the S2 but in real world use it doesn't make any difference. The screen is bigger on the S2 but the colours are more realistic on the iPhone. Both are well made, but there's no denying that the iPhone feels nicer (I prefer the heavier, more substantial feeling of the iPhone to the larger form factor of the S2 - unless I want a bigger bulge in my trousers to impress the ladies, in which case I'll take the S2). The iPhone is slightly more prone to damage if you drop it being predominantly made of glass - but you wouldn't want to drop either of them really.

In terms of apps - there's plenty of choice on both platforms, but the majority of it is crap on either. That said, it's much easier to find a quality app on the iPhone and the general quality of apps on the iOS platform is more polished, though this is getting better on Android. I'm rarely disappointed on iOS. I'm quite often disappointed with apps on Android, but I like the "homebrew" scene and seeing what regular guys are putting out there from their bedrooms. You get quirkier "indie gems" on Android.

I think it comes down to user experience - the reason I reach for the iPhone is it just works the way I expect it to without me needing to do anything (and restricts me tinkering so I can actually get on with what I want to do).

Everything about the S2 in terms of user experience is a blessing and a curse my opinion - because I can tinker it to my heart's content, I do, but I'm perpetually feeling like I want to make it work differently. Because I don't have that option on the iPhone, the path of least resistance is for me to use that.

They're both good. I like them both. My workhorse is the iPhone, my geek toy is the S2; that's what it boils down to - whether you want a consistent user experience and don't want to get too involved (iPhone) or want to put a bit of effort in and make it work "just so" (on the understanding you will never reach the holy grail of "finished") go with an Android phone, of which the S2 is arguably the best at the moment.
A2H GO

3rd Apr 12 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bissmire
iPhones are almost iconic, therefore will sell more. Same argument as COD vs Battlefield. COD sells more, does that mean its better? No.

All it means is that more people think its better, take from that what you like.
LeeM

3rd Apr 12 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jas
quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
apple customer service is always a nice benefit to throw into the equation

my mates mic broke on his 4 when he dropped it, apple quoted him £149 to replace the mic... delicate phones

out of warranty? from my experience of friends with broken screens out of warranty they give you a new one for £150 and your broken phone. the odd free replacement for damaged phones in warranty.
depends who you get in the store i guess
Dave

3rd Apr 12 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:
Originally posted by Dave
That's a lovely long reply, I thought it was iPhone owners who were defensive?

Also, pretty sure James didn't say they were any better.

Either stop sitting on the fence and fuck off, take up refereeing as a profession, or make a valid point about something, anything in fact would be nice.

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Obviously missed my post that contradicted just about every point you made in yours.

Obviously you missed the joke, and no, you didn't.

[Edited on 03-04-2012 by Brett]

OP clearly likes the Galaxy so he should sell his 4s, buy the Galaxy and probably have money in hand.

Happier now?
Dom

3rd Apr 12 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
and angry birds lags to fuck on android compared to ios

Stop baiting

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Then why attempt to post comparisons on details you clearly don't know a lot about (with some being incorrect)? Why not justify on areas you do know like the features of Android you prefer over iOS?
I said from the start I googled his question "list 5 points", it was literally a copy and paste, requires minimal effort from myself. I'm not the one who needs convincing the SG2 is better, don't need to read up, I know the score.

But you clearly don't You tried to justify based on a Copypasta that didn't have a clue about.
And you're right, you don't need to be convinced but stan_the_man does however; hence the OP.
Jas

3rd Apr 12 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just downloaded Angry Birds Space, its brilliant. And you know what I like about it most?

It was free
Bissmire

3rd Apr 12 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
iPhones are almost iconic, therefore will sell more. Same argument as COD vs Battlefield. COD sells more, does that mean its better? No.

All it means is that more people think its better, take from that what you like.

Comfort zones etc...

I was the same before I bought my Sensation. Now id struggle to go back.

Evilrob is the only impartial person in this thread, yet he is the only one being ignored
James

3rd Apr 12 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jas
Just downloaded Angry Birds Space, its brilliant. And you know what I like about it most?

It was free

Any ideas what you are going to spend the 69p that you've saved on?

You could put it towards a Samsung TV so you can stream video hassle free
Bissmire

3rd Apr 12 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the OP would like an open source, adaptable, polished spec giant of a phone, the Galaxy all the way.

If he wants an easy to use phone to just text and call, without external storage or anything worth noting, the 3310 wins hands down.

If he wants an iPhone, the iPhone wins.
John

3rd Apr 12 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Evilrob is the only impartial person in this thread, yet he is the only one being ignored

I'm completely impartial, I dislike apple but have an iphone.

There are pros and cons to both, as with everything.

The iPhone is a good phone, a lot of the people who buy it do buy it to be part of the bandwagon. Whether that's a good or bad thing I have varying views on.

It doesn't sell the most because it's the best phone though.
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm glad at least someone read my based-on-empirical-experience compare/contrast!!
Bissmire

3rd Apr 12 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:

I'm completely impartial, I dislike apple but have an iphone.

There are pros and cons to both, as with everything.

The iPhone is a good phone, a lot of the people who buy it do buy it to be part of the bandwagon. Whether that's a good or bad thing I have varying views on.

It doesn't sell the most because it's the best phone though.

That's kind of my point. Hadn't really seen you post much so chose Rob. Dom seems to be too, but Evilrobs points are all spot on imo.
Bissmire

3rd Apr 12 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FWIW I'm impartial too, but on a semi bait as I've had this argument so many times. I see the appeal of the iPhone, I get it, bet there's never a solid argument for the iPhone other than its made well/'slick' OS and sales figures. Nothing about the handset itself.
Dom

3rd Apr 12 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

There are plenty of people being impartial, John and Myself being two. And although Evilrob is being relatively level-headed, he's still stating that you have to tinker with Android when it clearly isn't the case. There are millions of Android users that haven't got a clue how to replace the basics like the launcher, let alone how to flash a new ROM.

It largely boils down to user experience - some people prefer one experience, other people prefer the another.
James

3rd Apr 12 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
there's never a solid argument for the iPhone other than its made well/'slick' OS

You say that as if the OS is a minor point.

For me, that's probably the best thing about it. I don't GAF what processor it has, to a certain extent I don't even really care how good the camera is.
Whittie

3rd Apr 12 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Literally can't believe grown men are arguing over which mobile phone is better
Whittie

3rd Apr 12 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Samsung Note thing looks good though.
Bissmire

3rd Apr 12 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

There are plenty of people being impartial, John and Myself being two. And although Evilrob is being relatively level-headed, he's still stating that you have to tinker with Android when it clearly isn't the case. There are millions of Android users that haven't got a clue how to replace the basics like the launcher, let alone how to flash a new ROM.

It largely boils down to user experience - some people prefer one experience, other people prefer the another.

I did mention you if you read further. Yes I agree, I was just stating he had made some good points and no one picked up on it as it was far too sensible and would have required a structured, logical answer.
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never said you had to tinker with Android - I said that for me, because that option is available to me, and I like to tinker with things (or procrastinate might be closer to the truth in my case), I find it hard to resist.

Out of the box, my subjective opinion is that the iPhone user experience is better for most people most of the time (lowest common denominator). While not bad out of the box, you can make Android completely kick-ass if you're prepared to put the effort in. That's more what I was getting at.
Dom

3rd Apr 12 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Literally can't believe grown men are arguing over which mobile phone is better

Same reason why men argue over other men kicking 'pigs bladders'
Jas

3rd Apr 12 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Jas

It was free

Any ideas what you are going to spend the 69p that you've saved on?

You could put it towards a Samsung TV so you can stream video hassle free

No need I have an android box connected to my tv..

With all the Free Angry Birds versions I've almost saved enough to buy a bumper case.. oh wait.. I don't need one
Bissmire

3rd Apr 12 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
there's never a solid argument for the iPhone other than its made well/'slick' OS

For me, that's probably the best thing about it. I don't GAF what processor it has, to a certain extent I don't even really care how good the camera is.

It was more to do with the 'slick'. I personally prefer android, you prefer iOS. Great. It wasn't about that, that was just an example. Would you tell the OP he is wrong to swap his iPhone for the sgs2? Assuming you have experience with both, that is.
LeeM

3rd Apr 12 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
New Samsung Note thing looks good though.

my dads friend has one of those i was looking at it in the pub on friday and its basically just a galaxy s2.
he's sent it back already because its far too big for a phone. it was actually wider than the opening of my jeans pocket,so if i had one id have to consider what clothes i wore in order to be able to not have to carry my phone around in my hand all day
James

3rd Apr 12 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

It was more to do with the 'slick'. I personally prefer android, you prefer iOS. Great. It wasn't about that, that was just an example. Would you tell the OP he is wrong to swap his iPhone for the sgs2? Assuming you have experience with both, that is.

Nope - I have no idea which is better

I've never said one is better than the other
LeeM

3rd Apr 12 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

this is what it boils down to really, the OS. i genuinly couldnt give a fuck about what processor or ram my phone has got, anyone who's felt a real womans breast probably doesnt either

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll