corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sell my iPhone 4s for a Samsung Galaxy s2? Am I mad?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sell my iPhone 4s for a Samsung Galaxy s2? Am I mad?
A2H GO

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 12 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nobody has said an iPhone is better.

Plenty of people saying their Android phones are better yet its the iPhone 'fanboys' that always have to proove a point...

Only need to remove the battery in an android because it freezes, I must see my mate at work doing this every couple of days with his SGS1. iOS tends to just kick you back to the homescreen when somethings not right.
Dave

3rd Apr 12 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a lovely long reply, I thought it was iPhone owners who were defensive?

Also, pretty sure James didn't say they were any better.
A2H GO

3rd Apr 12 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Recycling the joke but you guys just got your bonfire Bissed on.

Obviously missed my post that contradicted just about every point you made in yours.
James

3rd Apr 12 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never said iPhones were better, I just said I don't think they are any worse.

The anti-Apple fanboys in this thread are just as bad as the Apple fanboys IMO.
Bissmire

3rd Apr 12 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You asked what iPhones restricted you from doing. I replied with multiple reasons... surprise surprise, not a decent reply in sight. 'Nice long reply'... 'Thought it was apple fanboys that were defensive' etc etc. Nice, good work.
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got both cos I've jumped on the "I'm going to write the next Angry Birds chart-topping app" bandwagon.

The iPhone is my "daily driver" so to speak - not a conscious decision, it's just the one I reach for first. I like the fact it's restricted because I tend to just turn it on, do what I need to do, then turn it off again. The trouble with Android for me is it's so customisable I spend more time fucking about with it, trying out new mods etc, than actually doing anything with it.

They're both good handsets - I'd go and try them both out and decide which one is better for you.

Given that as chaps we apparently make all our decisions using our willies, I'm going to put on my Steve hat, and compare/contrast both:
My penis looks equally good in photographs taken using either handset.
My penis sounds equally good in conversation using either handset.
My penis looks bigger on the S2 because the screen is bigger - I like this.
My penis looks more realistic on the iPhone (in my opinion).
Photos of my penis appear faster on the S2, but I'm not unhappy with the fraction of a second longer it takes to see my penis on the iPhone.
I can look at photos of my penis for longer on the S2 as the battery life seems a little better (providing you turn off all the radios you're not using and make sure you haven't got any wonky apps running in the background).
The iPhone feels nicer against my penis.
Photo editing apps on the iPhone are of better quality, and allow me to put a convincing looking moustache just under my bell end and boggly eyes on the tip.
It's easier to text using my penis on the S2 due to the swipe ability on the software keyboard.
The, err, vibrate function is stronger on the iPhone.

Have I missed anything?
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
That's a lovely long reply, I thought it was iPhone owners who were defensive?

Also, pretty sure James didn't say they were any better.

Either stop sitting on the fence and fuck off, take up refereeing as a profession, or make a valid point about something, anything in fact would be nice.

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Obviously missed my post that contradicted just about every point you made in yours.

Obviously you missed the joke, and no, you didn't.

[Edited on 03-04-2012 by Brett]
Bissmire

3rd Apr 12 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
The trouble with Android for me is it's so customisable I spend more time fucking about with it, trying out new mods etc, than actually doing anything with it.

I'll give you that one That's the reason i love it so much though.
Bissmire

3rd Apr 12 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a quick question guys, after I have pointed out many, many flaws with the iPhone... I still see a distinct lack of answers as to why the iPhone is 'as good'.

I'm not disagreeing by the way (as I said, I agree the iPhone isn’t far short), but if you're arguing the iPhone is on a par with the Android equivalents to this extent, 'at least come up with some decent examples'
James

3rd Apr 12 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The customisable thing and being able to put different OS/ROMs on it are pretty insignificant IMO.

The plug and play features of non-Apple handsets are a significant advantage though.
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and btw james, yes I can stream to my samsung TV, nothing special to Apple, not forgetting you have to buy extra equipment.
James

3rd Apr 12 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But what if I have a Sony TV?
James

3rd Apr 12 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not baiting BTW - I genuinely don't know the answer.
Jas

3rd Apr 12 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
If you can give me 5 reasons why its better other than the buggy software I'll let you off with that comment.

Here you go, google it for you, save my effort.

1. Display Size: iPhone 4 have 3.5-inch widescreen Multi-Touch Retina display and Samsung Galaxy S II comes with massive 4.3&#8243; WVGA SUPER AMOLED Plus screen size. Galaxy S II display quality is much better than iPhone 4.

2. Weight: Galaxy S II is of 4.3” display and iPhone 4 is just of 3.5” display but iPhone 4 weights 137 grams and Galaxy SII weights only 116 grams lighter than iPhone 4.

3. Processor: Galaxy S 2 runs on 1.2GHz ARMv7 dual-core processor and iPhone runs on 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 single core processor. Again Galaxy S II is much faster than iPhone 4.

4. Camera: iPhone 4 offers 5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash primary camera and a secondary VGA camera for video calling. Galaxy s2 comes with primary camera of 8 MP, 3264×2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash and 2MP of secondary camera. Another reason to buy Galaxy S II.

5. Apps: If you are thinking that there are less apps in Android market than Apple App Store read research2guidance.com research report which says that Android market will soon overtake Apple App store. 64% of the apps on Android Market are free to download.

There are many other reason why you should buy Samsung Galaxy S II like there is no MicroSD slot in iPhone 4 and in Galaxy S II you can expend memory up to 32GB, Galaxy S II offer talk time Up to 18 h 20 min (2G) / Up to 8 h 40 min (3G) and iPhone 4 just offer Up to 14 h (2G) / Up to 7 h (3G) of talk time.
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Are you Bubble in disguise? He had a habit of spouting but couldn't back it up or offer explanations

I don't need to really. You guys stick with what you're told to buy, no skin off my nose.

thread should have been closed after this post TBH
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James

What if you didn't have apple tv and you had a sky+ or some other generic non-apple tv box

James

3rd Apr 12 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

What if you didn't have apple tv and you had a sky+

I'd rather have to pay £99 for an Apple TV than £500+ for a Samsung TV
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha see, always with the daft answers back. Totally pointless even responding.
James

3rd Apr 12 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a fair point though isn't it?

Or does the S2 stream to any TV?

I honestly have no idea.
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It's a fair point though isn't it?

Or does the S2 stream to any TV?

I honestly have no idea.

It's irrelevant really since everyone spends that generally on a tv. But yes, I will give you apple needs apple, samsung needs samsung, I don't care about cost, etc. totally different pieces of equipment, one is something EVERYONE buys anyway, the other isn't, therefore an additional cost in my book.

Jas

3rd Apr 12 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Android tv boxes are available and will connect into your tv, and for less than £99
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 14:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In terms of tech specs and whatever - they're both there or thereabouts. They're smartphones - you're never going to get the 14 days battery life you used to get out of your Nokia 3310; however it is easier to deplete the battery on the S2 if you're not careful about what you have running. The camera is good on both. They both make and receive calls and text messages. They both have apps. The processor is marginally faster on the S2 but in real world use it doesn't make any difference. The screen is bigger on the S2 but the colours are more realistic on the iPhone. Both are well made, but there's no denying that the iPhone feels nicer (I prefer the heavier, more substantial feeling of the iPhone to the larger form factor of the S2 - unless I want a bigger bulge in my trousers to impress the ladies, in which case I'll take the S2). The iPhone is slightly more prone to damage if you drop it being predominantly made of glass - but you wouldn't want to drop either of them really.

In terms of apps - there's plenty of choice on both platforms, but the majority of it is crap on either. That said, it's much easier to find a quality app on the iPhone and the general quality of apps on the iOS platform is more polished, though this is getting better on Android. I'm rarely disappointed on iOS. I'm quite often disappointed with apps on Android, but I like the "homebrew" scene and seeing what regular guys are putting out there from their bedrooms. You get quirkier "indie gems" on Android.

I think it comes down to user experience - the reason I reach for the iPhone is it just works the way I expect it to without me needing to do anything (and restricts me tinkering so I can actually get on with what I want to do).

Everything about the S2 in terms of user experience is a blessing and a curse my opinion - because I can tinker it to my heart's content, I do, but I'm perpetually feeling like I want to make it work differently. Because I don't have that option on the iPhone, the path of least resistance is for me to use that.

They're both good. I like them both. My workhorse is the iPhone, my geek toy is the S2; that's what it boils down to - whether you want a consistent user experience and don't want to get too involved (iPhone) or want to put a bit of effort in and make it work "just so" (on the understanding you will never reach the holy grail of "finished") go with an Android phone, of which the S2 is arguably the best at the moment.
Bissmire

3rd Apr 12 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So flashing new ROMs/OS directly onto the handset is irrelevant, yet you're resorting to the brands of hardware needed to stream from your phone, in order to back your (inferior) iPhone
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 14:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jas
Android tv boxes are available and will connect into your tv, and for less than £99
Jas wins
James

3rd Apr 12 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bissmire
So flashing new ROMs/OS directly onto the handset is irrelevant, yet you're resorting to the brands of hardware needed to stream from your phone, in order to back your (inferior) iPhone

I was just asking how the Samsung does it, I didn't know if it worked on all TVs or whatever.

And yes flashing new ROMs/OS is irrelevant to me as I'm not a computer geek and therefore have no intention of doing anything with my phone other than making phone calls, sending text messages and emails, browsing the internet, listening to music and playing pointless games.

Well done on successfully missing the point of everything I've said in this thread though. Not once have I said the iPhone is better, I've just tried to defend the areas that non-iPhone owners have said the iPhone does badly.
A2H GO

3rd Apr 12 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So 2 pages later Apple people think the iPhone is better, Android people think the SGS2 is better, lets see what the world thinks:

SGS2 sold 20 million in 10 months
iPhone 4S sold: 40 million in 2 months

Thats a lot of 'sheep'.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll